PDA

View Full Version : Confused on what to do???

child_friendly
10-07-2012, 08:55 PM
I have post about this a few times, but not really got anywhere with it...so thought I'd try again, lol.
I have a 16 month old of my own so I am only allowed to look after 4 of which 2 can be under 5, 1 can be under 1 and 2 can be over 5.
I have had an enquiry from a mum who's a shift worker (hasn't started her job yet so doesn't know days yet- they will change each week) to look after her 2 year old for 2/3 days a week for 24 hours a week and a bit more for travelling. Also she wants me to look after her 3 year old daughter before she goes to school and pick her up if can (won't be able to now as was involved in car accident and don't have a car :( ) and im assuming i would have her after school til they are both picked up at about 6pm.
They visited me saturday and I told them my hourly fee of £3.75 per hour and my unsociable hours fee is £5.50.
I am visiting the family tomorrow to discuss things in more detail and see how the children are in their own home. Mum doesn't know when she will be starting work (waiting on CRB, and we all know how long they take!!!) so I can't sign contracts until I know times and days etc, but what do I do in the mean time?? I don't want to lose this family.
What I want to know is what would you do? Could I do settling in sessions without signing contracts/ I offer 2 x 2 hour sessions free any more than this there is a charge.

I have had another enquiry from a mum for two girls aged 2 years old and 3 months old. She would like me to look after them one day a week (she doesn't mind they day but not a friday) and from 9/10- 5.30pm starting from September and may be increasing to two days in October. They are coming round on friday to have a look.

This all may be confusing but I am just wondering if I could take both families on??I know this would go over my numbers and it would mean i'd have 5 under 5's, which is my understanding of were not allowed is that right??

Hope this isn't too confusing, If you don't understand what I have written please say, Im not so good at explaining things, lol.

sarah707
10-07-2012, 09:09 PM
It is very hard when 2 families come along at the same time and you don't know which way to jump.

I usually follow my gut instinct - which family felt right? They might be worth waiting for.

Good luck! :D

The Juggler
10-07-2012, 09:22 PM
i would NOT do settling in sessions for free before signing a contract. what if she doesn't start hon?? I would wait.

go with the first family who sign. Tell them that you have another family wanting the space ;) If they started with different but fixed separate days, so you only ever have the 2 new children with your own child.

Then, either if either family no. 2 increased their days or you needed overlapping days for the shiftworker you, in theory, should be able to vary to allow for 4 under 5's under the new variation system.

could you could tell mum no. 1 you can take the 2 year old but not the older sibling as you need a full timer and need to fill the day? that would leave you with 2 x 2 years, your 16m and a 3m. A handful - but if you think you could manage I think it is do-able.

good luck

child_friendly
10-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Thanx for the replys.
Yea it is hard as I've only been registered since March and have been waiting for mindees to come along, then two families come at once. Sods law really,lol.
I think I am going to bite the bullet and tell the mum tomorrow I can only look after her 2 year old as I would need a full timer/ and the space for the other child- she goes to school and I won't be able to take/pick her up anyway. And go with the other family if it feels right, but I would then need to get a variation from september if took both families on.

Lilylulu
10-07-2012, 10:09 PM
How would a variation cover this? I thought you could use a variation of you already had one sibling and another one was born, not for starting a new family...is this wrong? Also - its quite a lot for a new childminder to take on when just starting out, although they might not even want the same days, you might find out that they piece together. Good luck x

child_friendly
11-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Juggler: So ur saying if I take on the 2 year old from the first mum and the 2 year old and 3 month from the other mum I should be able to take them on if they had different days? So if I said to the first mum I can't do a Monday day and give that to the second mum then I would be ok with numbers until they overlap as the first mum's days change each week and the second increases her one day to two.
Sorry I must be stupid, am totally new to this and am just looking at every possibility of having both families.

Bridey
11-07-2012, 08:21 AM
I have post about this a few times, but not really got anywhere with it...so thought I'd try again, lol.

How rude.

I said it really clearly on your last thread. You can't look after both families on the same day. When you asked the same question again on the same thread I suggested you ring Ofsted. Now you've started another thread asking the same question again. you've received the same answers from other people and yet you are still asking the same question!

No matter how many times you ask it, nobody is going to say that you can look after both families on the same day ... because you can't! If you don't believe us then call Ofsted :rolleyes:

child_friendly
11-07-2012, 10:31 AM
It wasn't meant to sound rude, sorry if it did. :(

The Juggler
11-07-2012, 12:55 PM
How would a variation cover this? I thought you could use a variation of you already had one sibling and another one was born, not for starting a new family...is this wrong? Also - its quite a lot for a new childminder to take on when just starting out, although they might not even want the same days, you might find out that they piece together. Good luck x

Hon, variations are for siblings OR continuity of care if one current mindee then needs extra days for example. So if OP takes on both families but on different days to start (as one parent only needs 1 day at the moment) she will not need a variation. Then one parent will need to increase days in October so that would count as continuity of care and a variation could be put in place for that. :thumbsup:

lynnfi
12-07-2012, 07:28 AM
I would try to say to family 1 that I can't do (example) Mondays and can they organise to not work on a Monday, as this is often possible, although not always, it is worth a try.
Then you can take family 2 every Monday. (or could ask family 1 to tell you which one day a week they think would be best for them not to be coming to your setting)

Then I would invite family 1 for a chat and signature of a retainer fee, ie even if she doesn't know her shift hours, she might know approx how many hours she might need you per week. I would x4 and put in bank a 4 weeks retainer fee. Then you know they are coming.

I would invite family 2 for the same thing.

If you can't have a spare day a week (have you at all thought of a Saturday for family 2, might help), I would choose between the 2 as Sarah has advised.

Then you are booked.

lynnfi
12-07-2012, 07:39 AM
I would try to say to family 1 that I can't do (example) Mondays and can they organise to not work on a Monday, as this is often possible, although not always, it is worth a try.
Then you can take family 2 every Monday. (or could ask family 1 to tell you which one day a week they think would be best for them not to be coming to your setting)

Then I would invite family 1 for a chat and signature of a retainer fee, ie even if she doesn't know her shift hours, she might know approx how many hours she might need you per week. I would x4 and put in bank a 4 weeks retainer fee. Then you know they are coming.

I would invite family 2 for the same thing.

If you can't have a spare day a week (have you at all thought of a Saturday for family 2, might help), I would choose between the 2 as Sarah has advised.

Then you are booked.

child_friendly
12-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Both families want during the week. I am waiting to see the family who wants 1 day a week tomorrow and see when they will need me etc and take it from there. I will then speak to both families and discuss retainers. Would I just ask for a retainer of their hours x 4 for each family at the moment?This would be non- refundable am i right? I would normally take a months deposit as well as a first months fee to go against last months.