PDA

View Full Version : Revised EYFS again! & Ofsted

lorettacritchet
10-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Geez sorry to bore everyone with the same subject. I want to rant and say that i really wish that ofsted didn't leave making a decision re: variations etc to the last minute , seems to be so much diff advice nor leave us with the responsibility to do ra's and seek permission from parents if we want to expand numbers - Thought this revised eyfs was meant to create less paperwork now in essence if we will need to extend, we do more paperwork! god if this doesn't make sense i am too tired :angry:

what on earth do we put in an RA for tryin to extend? I have so many parents wanting spaces starting sept and I can do them if i can extend...or i am turning work away....

Kiddleywinks
10-07-2012, 05:49 PM
My understanding is that we can only extend for additional care requirements of existing parent, NOT for new business
ie a parent has 2 children, but I only child mind one of them, she wants me to care for sibling in which case I could, but should a new parent come along wanting care and I was 'full' under the old rules, I wouldn't be able to take the new children on

rickysmiths
10-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Geez sorry to bore everyone with the same subject. I want to rant and say that i really wish that ofsted didn't leave making a decision re: variations etc to the last minute , seems to be so much diff advice nor leave us with the responsibility to do ra's and seek permission from parents if we want to expand numbers - Thought this revised eyfs was meant to create less paperwork now in essence if we will need to extend, we do more paperwork! god if this doesn't make sense i am too tired :angry:

what on earth do we put in an RA for tryin to extend? I have so many parents wanting spaces starting sept and I can do them if i can extend...or i am turning work away....

We don't have to get the parents permission at all, we have to discuss our intentions and explain what we would like to do.

It doesn't mean any extra paperwork either, just what we do now when we apply for a variation. I am going to do is keep a copy of the current Variation Form on my computer and fill it in if I want to grant myself a variation. I will then have all I need to back up my decision, simple.

The RA is included in the Variation Form. Say you had two baby siblings starting and wanted a Variation for two under ones. you need to jot down what you would do/check to make sure you could meet the needs of the two children. So:

Have you got a double buggy how will you get out and about
Have you got room in your car for them plus children already in your care
Have you got cots for them plus current children
Have you got high chairs for them and the other children
Have you got enough bed linen, blankets, bibs etc
Have you got enough age appropriate toys

ETC

You have been told in another thread as well, that as far as it stands at the moment variations can not be granted as they are not at the present by Ofsted, for NEW business. It is for baby siblings of a child you already care for and we THINK continuity of care so if a parents wants to change hours or days but we are still waiting for Ofsted to print their report on this.

sarah707
10-07-2012, 06:04 PM
If you look at my variations document in free downloads at the top of the forum you will see a list of the questions Ofsted say should be asked as part of a risk assessment.

I haven't made them up they come straight from Ofsted...

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/variations2012.html

As for permission from parents vs advising parents of what is happening - if there is a query in the future about your ratios and you say 'I explained it to parents' and they say you didn't... what type of mess would you be in?

Hth :D

lorettacritchet
10-07-2012, 06:06 PM
well that doesn't make sense, if i want to extend my numbers and i have more space to do so then I should be able to...

My understanding is that we can only extend for additional care requirements of existing parent, NOT for new business
ie a parent has 2 children, but I only child mind one of them, she wants me to care for sibling in which case I could, but should a new parent come along wanting care and I was 'full' under the old rules, I wouldn't be able to take the new children on

rickysmiths
10-07-2012, 06:10 PM
well that doesn't make sense, if i want to extend my numbers and i have more space to do so then I should be able to...

Loretta may I say it has never been the case that we could increase our numbers via a Variation for new business. It is done with good reason so childminders can't take on too many children at once.

I'm sorry to sound hard but it is no good complaining about it, it is what it is accept it. You knew the rules and the limits when you registered.

Or get your garage converted now and increase you numbers by using an assistant.

lorettacritchet
10-07-2012, 06:11 PM
ok i am just not getting this am i???? so we aren't allowed to have any more new business as from september if they don't fit in with current number allowance?

rickysmiths
10-07-2012, 06:13 PM
ok i am just not getting this am i???? so we aren't allowed to have any more new business as from september if they don't fit in with current number allowance?

That's right the same as it is now and has always been. It isn't new for September things haven't changed. Nor have the max numbers/ratios allowed.

lorettacritchet
10-07-2012, 06:13 PM
ok sorry maybe not a variation but an application to increase numbers with an assistant.

i would love to get my garage done before sept but whats frustrating me is i can't until after the revised comes into effect.

Loretta may I say it has never been the case that we could increase our numbers via a Variation for new business.

I'm sorry to sound hard but it is no good complaining about it, it is what it is accept it.

Or get your garage converted now and increase you numbers by using an assistant.

rickysmiths
10-07-2012, 06:16 PM
ok sorry maybe not a variation but an application to increase numbers with an assistant.

i would love to get my garage done before sept but whats frustrating me is i can't until after the revised comes into effect.

Yes if working with an Assistant you may be able to increase your numbers though this will depend on the space you have and this is laid down within the EYFS.

lorettacritchet
10-07-2012, 06:18 PM
yeah - ok so on my understanding, if the garage is converted AFTER sept and i have an assistant, i just do my own RA and tell parents re: new kid? or we tell ofsted? thats wanna i am trying to gather

Yes if working with an Assistant you may be able to increase your numbers though this will depend on the space you have and this is laid down within the EYFS.

rickysmiths
10-07-2012, 06:21 PM
yeah - ok so on my understanding, if the garage is converted AFTER sept and i have an assistant, i just do my own RA and tell parents re: new kid? or we tell ofsted? thats wanna i am trying to gather

No sure I think you may have to ask Ofsted to increase your overall numbers because the number count would be on you WHEN working with an Assistant. The assistant would not have a number allocation in their own right if you see what I mean.