PDA

View Full Version : Scared and Proud all at the same time!!!

claire'scherubs
09-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Hi All

I apologise for not being on here for some time,just been sooooo busy.

I know you are all a wealth of knowledge and I need your advice for my 4 1/2 dd

We have just received her first school report and it mentions that she may be put on the G & T register early next year.

What does this mean for her schooling, what should I do to help her, arghhhhh so proud but so scared

winstonian
09-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Thats lovely.
Our 8 year old ds was put on the g&t reg at 4 as was 6 year old dd. So far it hasn't meant anything although a few weeks ago ds was put forward to be a part of a group that mentors and supports his peers. I understand that school plan for them and they are discussed in the staff room but as parents we dont see anything different. Our youngest dd now 5 is not on the g&t but we think she is just as wonderful as the other 2 - different strengths :)
Just be proud and support her as you would anyway
xx

Bananabrain
09-07-2012, 09:15 PM
My son is on the g and t register. [it was all that Gordon's I slugged when I was pregnant]:laughing:
Tbh it doesn't really mean that much in terms of what happens at school. It's my understanding that the g and t programme is being phased out [money probably] but just as schools have to show Ofsted how they meet the needs of children who need extra help, they also have to support the more able pupils.
This could simply mean more challenging work right through to summer holiday programmes.
G and T pupils are supposed to be in the top 2 per cent of the population when they are compared to children of the same age.iyswim.
I've just realised that my reply is not very grammatically correct and I'm probably not explaining myself very well.:laughing::laughing:
Long day.
You should be very proud of your child.

Bridey
09-07-2012, 09:16 PM
My son is a G&T :D

It has made no difference to life at all ... apart from the fact that I can tell people that my son is a G&T :D

:D

claire'scherubs
09-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Thanks, I am sooooo proud, so you are saying you don't do anything different at home to support? xxx

Bananabrain
09-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Also, sometimes it gets a bit tricky in the playground. You don't want to sound like a 'braggy' mummy and you may find it tricky when chatting to other parents.
I found myself 'playing down' my son's achievments quite alot because I didn't want to come across as a big head.
Having a bright child is jolly hard work!
Good luck.

claire'scherubs
09-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Also, sometimes it gets a bit tricky in the playground. You don't want to sound like a 'braggy' mummy and you may find it tricky when chatting to other parents.
I found myself 'playing down' my son's achievments quite alot because I didn't want to come across as a big head.
Having a bright child is jolly hard work!
Good luck.

LOL I know, want to post it all over FB but too embarrassed to,in case I come across as a brag or over pushy mummy,so hard xxx

Bananabrain
09-07-2012, 09:26 PM
I don't think I have done anything that I wouldn't have done anyway.
I always said that I would endeavour to give him as many experiences as possible and as much 'input' as I could.
That's what I have done I hope.

BucksCM
09-07-2012, 09:37 PM
I don't have any advice sorry...I just wanted to say
YEAH! You must be so proud!:clapping:

nannymcflea
09-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Well done dd :D

My dd was put on Gin and Tonic in Year 1. Got assessed, given a bit extra work but nothing really happened!

Do you know for which area?

If it's math, then the enrich website is fab. If it's literacy then just read, write and have fun in that area too.

dd is now 9 (year4) and at a level 5 in most areas of SATs. We haven't done anything extra at home, apart from what she's interested in.:)

claire'scherubs
10-07-2012, 07:38 PM
I will check out that website thanks, I think its both x

Bridey
10-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Thinking about it, I think being a G&T has backfired a bit for my son! He's so good at English, History and Science that we've hired a maths tutor for extra lessons so he can keep up on that subject too! ;)

(He's nearly 15 and about to start GCSE's)

Kiddleywinks
11-07-2012, 07:02 AM
Aww, well done to you and your dd

Like nannymcflea (loving that name lol) says the enrich website and being supportive in other areas will make things easier for you both to enjoy this achievement.

At our primary, the g&t group have a different lesson three times a week, and they do fun things like play scrabble and chess, they've learnt more advanced maths like Pythagoras theory and Pi, and read books and try to analyse the content.... Sounds scary doesn't it lol, but that's by year 6 :laughing: