PDA

View Full Version : Should I do a contract for this?

bezi123
08-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Hi, this is a bit of a strange situation so sorry its a long one!

I'm a new childminder and a friend of a friend recommended me as a babysitter, which I am ok with as I am also happy to do babysitting. Anyway I met up with the lady at her house last week, she has a 10 month old, is about to return to work next week and her lo will be going to nursery, she told me of her apprehensions about nursery and dosnt feel happy about leaving her lo, but knows shes going to have to, to go back to work, she asked alot about my childminding, so I went through what childminding entailed showed her my paperwork explained about the EYFS etc etc.

After the meeting she emailed saying she wanted to use me for ad hoc babysitting, so I assumed she meant for the od night out so said thats fine gave her my babysitting fee and said we wouldnt need to do a contract just fill in a babysitting checklist form which I have from NCMA. Well I had the lo today (Sun) in there home whilst they built there shed down the bottom of the garden, so they were popping in and out of the house, I felt a bit restricted and uncomfortable because it's not my house, so other than play with the toys that were out I couldnt do much else I was there 9-1:30 which included an hr nap, she also wants me to have lo wed, she asked for it to be at her house but my son has inset day so said could only do at my house, she didnt seem happy about leaving her lo so Ive now agreed to let her stay bring her laptop and use my bedroom to do the work she needs to get done before returning to work, so again I'm going to feel restricted, I would of normally gone out somewhere but I'm not sure I will be able to do this with her still at my house! so my question is, am I still just babysitting or do I need to do a childminding contract for adhoc care? I'm hoping she will soon feel comfortable to leave lo in my care without her being present so I dont feel shes watching over me and as restricted!

samb
08-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Oh my word! I don't think I could ever have a parent sitting in my bedroom doing work! I know at the moment it is a one off but please remember any regular visitor to your home over 16 needs to be CRB checked. I personally wouldn't have agreed to this. If she won't leave her lo then I would say no. Could she not stay for half an hour and have a cuppa with you and then leave baby for a couple of hours and call to check all is ok and build things up from there?

bezi123
08-07-2012, 08:22 PM
I know your completly right, I dont know why I agreedto this, its all a bit weird, I wont haveany mindees here so wouldnt have to worry about the CRB check, but my very energetic 5 yr old will be here and I would feel I had to keep him quiet because she was working. I'm going to send her an email saying it might be worth seeing hoe she is being left, I dont know how shes going to cope next week when shes in nursery full time!

The Juggler
08-07-2012, 08:37 PM
firstly hon, you can't do 'babysitting' at your house. if you are working from home it's childminding. You may not be insured. If you work from your house, you DO need a contract.

You need to make it clear to this lady that you would prefer only to babysit when they need someone because they are not there. Sounds like what they are after is a nanny hon.

blue bear
08-07-2012, 08:41 PM
id let my little one make lots of noise so she gets fed up and goes home :laughing::laughing::laughing:

its very odd,

Kiddleywinks
08-07-2012, 08:42 PM
I was just about to say she sounds like she needs a nanny but Juggler beat me to it lol

rickysmiths
08-07-2012, 10:03 PM
No I definitely wouldn't let a stranger work in my bedroom. Yes it would be childminding.

I think you need to ring her tomorrow and tell her you have contacted Ofsted and your insurers and that you are sorry you can't have her in the house working, she would have to come and sign a contract and all your permission forms for you to have the baby in your home and that on reflection you would like to have the day with your son and be able to take him out.

bezi123
09-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Thanks for all the advice! I emailed her and suggested she stayed for half an hr then left (obv would of done a contract with her if she went ahead with this) she replied saying that most of the research on the psychology of child care suggests that it is unwise to leave your child in a familar setting and you shouldnt do this unless the settling guidelines have been followed. Which I'm not disputing, I have settling in policies for my mindees, but this does include the parent working in my bedroom!

So shes now taking the lo to nursery wed instead where shes been have settling in sessions for the last 2 months.

Bridey
09-07-2012, 05:52 PM
She sounds like she would have been fun to work for!!! :rolleyes:

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/077/c/3/The_Sarcasm_Misunderstanding_by_ThePlotThinnens.jp g