PDA

View Full Version : Revised EYFS again!

lorettacritchet
07-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Not sure if on right thread but wanted to ask two questions:

1) Will there be a revised practice guidance booklet in paperform? Does anyone know?
2) Observations - I am a little bit perplexed. Got a few casual kids who I might only see once or twice a month and they are never long enough with me ie more than a few hours before they go home. Would ofsted ever understand that its impossible to do regular learning journeys etc?

Bluebell
07-07-2012, 09:48 PM
hi Loretta - I think there might be another post on here somewhere and its all getting rather confusing!
Have you got any training coming up that may answer these questions?

I think - I'm not sure - I think the guidance won't be available in paper form you will have to print it yourself but companies like NCMA will be producing paper copies that you can buy.

And again I think - not sure - but are the children coming to you as a secondary carer? I'm sure it said adhoc care or wrap-around care wasn't going to be expected to have same Obs and development plans as regular care.

Hopefully someone will answer soon x

lorettacritchet
08-07-2012, 06:07 AM
Some of the casual kids though which come to me are below 5 years old so for example the 7 months old baby, are you saying I wouldn't need to do observations for her? They are only casual because at times the parents can cover the care as they do shift work etc

hi Loretta - I think there might be another post on here somewhere and its all getting rather confusing!
Have you got any training coming up that may answer these questions?

I think - I'm not sure - I think the guidance won't be available in paper form you will have to print it yourself but companies like NCMA will be producing paper copies that you can buy.

And again I think - not sure - but are the children coming to you as a secondary carer? I'm sure it said adhoc care or wrap-around care wasn't going to be expected to have same Obs and development plans as regular care.

Penny1959
08-07-2012, 07:18 AM
Bluelion is right - you have to either print or buy copies of the guidance document

These people provide both the statutory and the guidance documents

Pre-school learning Alliance members price £7
NCMA are doing one - sorry no details
NDNA do one - anyone can buy at same price abour £9

Early Education do just the guidance document - anyone can buy just under £6

Re observations

You have to do for every child in your care - but it should be in line with the amount of time the child spends with you.

In the scenario you give - I would say 3.36 should guide you - which is about information and records and says 'Providers must enable a regular two way flow of information with parents and / or carers, and between providers.

Learning Journeys are not compulsory - they are one way to record the childs development.

You need evidence - could just be notes in child's dairy or similiar to record information parents give you - and your observations - these can be very informal and in your case should pick up on changes of development / interest / likes and dislikes - as I would iagine that these will change between attendences at your setting.

I think it might help if you sit down with the revised EYFS - have all your questions on a bit of paper and look to see where it is mentioned - and be warned sometimes different bits are under different reference points.

Hope it helps

Penny :)

sarah707
08-07-2012, 07:44 AM

Can I just clarify this one please as I have had a few members query it in my pms this morning.

The requirements have changed for school children - not ad hoc care.

School children who only attend before and after school or in the school holidays do not need the full EYFS delivered to them.

we must speak to parents and other settings about how we complement their learning and care.

This is not the same as ad hoc children - you should follow Penny's advice for their documentation :D

Bluebell
08-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Thanks for clarifying Sarah - and sorry if I confused some people - I would never wish to do that!
What do you term adhoc care though? Because in general I would term that children that come 1 or 2 days in a holiday or when their regular childcarer is unavailable. Anyone that comes on a regular basis, with a permanent contract - even if for only a few hours would be regular care. ??
Do you mean pre-school children that only attend in holidays and after school as well as school children?
Just wanted to clarify on this..

sarah707
08-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Ad hoc care means a child who is on a flexible contract, coming only for a few hours at a time or as in your example when we cover for another childminder who is on holiday.

They need the full EYFS delivered - but you can only do as much as the time you have with the child allows.

Remember that Ofsted inspectors only usually ask to see documented evidence of a child's learning and development if they are with you on the day of inspection - I say L & D evidence because of course it is not the same as permissions / accident forms etc which must be comprehensive for all children.

A school child is a child who attends school for 5 full days a week with a break for lunch in the middle of the day. This is clarified in my variations document.

Hth :D

rickysmiths
08-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Bluelion is right - you have to either print or buy copies of the guidance document

These people provide both the statutory and the guidance documents

Pre-school learning Alliance members price £7
NCMA are doing one - sorry no details £5.50 for members and non-members
NDNA do one - anyone can buy at same price abour £9

Early Education do just the guidance document - anyone can buy just under £6

Re observations

You have to do for every child in your care - but it should be in line with the amount of time the child spends with you.

In the scenario you give - I would say 3.36 should guide you - which is about information and records and says 'Providers must enable a regular two way flow of information with parents and / or carers, and between providers.

Learning Journeys are not compulsory - they are one way to record the childs development.

You need evidence - could just be notes in child's dairy or similiar to record information parents give you - and your observations - these can be very informal and in your case should pick up on changes of development / interest / likes and dislikes - as I would iagine that these will change between attendences at your setting.

I think it might help if you sit down with the revised EYFS - have all your questions on a bit of paper and look to see where it is mentioned - and be warned sometimes different bits are under different reference points.

Hope it helps

Just put in the NCMA price available from:

http://www.shop.*************/shop/NCMA_bookshop.html

there is also a book which you can order now but won't be dipstched until later in the month :thumbsup:

Penny1959
08-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Just put in the NCMA price available from:

http://www.shop.*************/shop/NCMA_bookshop.html

there is also a book which you can order now but won't be dipstched until later in the month :thumbsup:

Thanks for information RS - that is a good price - is it for both documents? If so excellent value. Would be good to have feedback if anyone has brought one

blue bear
08-07-2012, 04:17 PM
You can now pre-order printed versions of the EYFS Framework documents for just £5.50. This will include: The Statutory Framework, A Know-How-Guide and Development Matters.
this is off the more info of the order page from the ncma link above.

rickysmiths
08-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Thanks for information RS - that is a good price - is it for both documents? If so excellent value. Would be good to have feedback if anyone has brought one

I believe so. No I don't know anyone. I printed my own out and friends rushed in and ordered off ebay before NCMA had produced theirs.