PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

child_friendly
07-07-2012, 08:35 AM
I have a prospective family coming in an hour for a first visit and wondered what I should charge as the mum is a shift worker. I only know that she wants me to look after her 2 year old son 18 hours a week for 2 days a week, I don't know exact hours yet. But prob starting in the next few weeks. I charge £3.75 per hour 8am- 6pm and time and a half for unsociable hours (may change this)- what do you charge for unsociable hours?
I was wondering what would charge for a shift worker?
Also I was going to ask for 4 weeks deposit (goes to lest months fees, non-refundable) and a months fee up front.

rickysmiths
07-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Well I charge by the hour and charge that fee from 7am to 6.30pm.

I don't charge for half or full days but for the hours the parents want.

For a shift worker it depends how it is going to work. If she wants 18 hours over two days that's a 9hr day which is no problem.

However you need to see if the hours for the day will vary, will they want to start at 6am and finish at 3pm one week and start at mid day and finish at 9pm the next week?

Also will they want the same two days each week?

Say they need the same two days but different hours on those days I would possibly charge 5 hours at normal rate and 4 hours at a higher rate to cover any hours outside my normal working hours.

If the days are going to vary you will have to make a judgement on how this will fit into your business.

I will not sign a Contract without a 4 weeks fees Deposit in my hand. I keep it until the end of the contract when if all fees are paid up to date it covers the 4 week notice period. I then ask for fees to be paid in advance and have a clause in my fees policy that makes it clear that if fees are more than one week late being paid childcare stops until the fees are paid in full including my £5 per day late payment fee. I had my fingers burnt once and never again.

child_friendly
07-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Had the visit this morning and went well. They are such a lovely family and they sound very hopefully. The mum doesn't know her hours or days as she is still waiting for her CRB check to clear and start work in a hospital. She says she is looking for 24 hours for 3 days a week, but she says her sister maybe able to have her son for 1 day a week. She's hoping her CRB will be through in the next two weeks. Yea I am going to charge by the hour, I don't have any other minded children at mo. But she has a 3 year old girl as well, she goes to school up the road (need to use the car) and she wanted to know if she could be dropped off at mine before going to school.I am not sure on days or hours yet. I didnt really get the full understanding so will have to go over it when meet them again. When they left I had a thought if the girl came to me just in the morning before school and the boy 2 days a week, the girl would be taking up one of my EYFS spaces and for only the morning, I would then have to charge the mum for taking up the place.Is this right? Im not entirely sure on what she actually wanted me to do with regards to the little girl....will get further info before taking on.
Sorry for going on, but am new to all this and don't know if doing it right...
Am meeting her next week to go over everything and if everything ok then to sign contracts and take payment and sort settling in. So hopefully things will work out. Do you think I should email the mum and briefly go through what we spoke about etc? I have texted her to ask when shes free to meet next week, just waiting for a reply.

Goatgirl
07-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Hi :),
Glad you feel it went well :thumbsup:.
Just wanted to suggest you phone rather than text, not that I think txting isn't fine, just gets difficult to discuss details in a text. I find that anyway :D.

Think about how much you need to earn before you do commit to this family. I would get the firm details of days and times and THEN go away and take some time to think about the best way to charge.

It has to be worth your while to have entire eyfs places taken up for less than full fees or you will regret it down the line if you get enquiries for full time 5 days a week.

Good luck and hope it works out well for you :thumbsup:

best wishes,
Wendy :)

child_friendly
09-07-2012, 09:09 AM
Thanx for the previous help, I am still in a muddle with this family and don't know what I should do next.
I am phoning the mum later to discuss details and understand exactly what she is requiring. I have a 16 month old son so can only look after 2 under 5's so I am just wondering this:
A present I know that the mum wants me to look after her 2 year old son for either 2/3 days (depending whether her sister can look after him on one day) a week for 24 hours a week which is fine. She also mentioned about having her 3 year old daughter before she goes to school (2.1 miles away) but didn't mention whether I wud take and collect her from school. As this would take up my 2 EYFS spaces and if the girl was with me only before school so for a couple hours how would I charge for the space? I am confused and new to this, don't know how to charge for the space she would be taking up...I think im having a blonde moment :blush: If anyone could help with this that would be great. I only charge by the hour which is £3.75 per hour and time and a half for unsociable hours.
I am going to speak to the mum later and get more details regarding the childcare. The only thing is she doesn't know what days she will be doing and as she is a shift worker every week/ two weeks maybe different so the days maybe different each time. She gets her rota 2 weeks at a time. Sorry if your getting confused with what im saying, I am just getting confused writing it, lol. Once I have spoken to her on the phone I am going to arrange to visit to visit where they live and speak some more and get to know what the children do in their own home and may sign contracts and take 4 weeks deposit plus 1 months fee upfront (can I still sign contracts even if I don't know every detail i.e. days etc??) We will then arrange 2 settling sessions in the next few weeks. Does this sound ok? I am wondering what to do next...

Goatgirl
09-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Hi :),
personally I would wait until she has her actual hours and days, or fewest/most possible hours and days before I could even work out what to charge. I would not be able to fill in the contracted hours or fees until then, so wouldn't do the contract until I know how much of each ey space would be taken up.

It may be that you find she doesn't want to pay what you need to charge for the hours either. Take it one step at a time :thumbsup:

best wishes,
Wendy :)