PDA

View Full Version : No Smoking Policy

Keeley77
05-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Iv just been attempting to do my no smoking policy but i'm not totally sure what to include, other than the obvious about no smoking in the setting, not smoking near to the setting, visitors must not have cigerettes on display etc.

Can anyone advise what else I should be including??

Many thanks :D

rickysmiths
05-07-2012, 09:07 PM
I don't have one because we have to be No Smoking. No one smokes in our household so there is no issue. I have a tiny No Smoking sign by the door where the parents come in.

I must confess I try to keep my policies to a min and to the point so the parents don't drown in them :laughing:

sillysausage
05-07-2012, 09:14 PM
I don't have one either, for the same reasons, no one in my house smokes.
It may be a good idea though if there are smokers in the household as you could show to parents how you intend to minimise risk.

md0u0131
05-07-2012, 09:18 PM
I don't have a policy as such I just have a couple of lines in my portfolio that says we operate as a strictly no smoking setting as accordance to guidelines (or words to that effect).

Keeley77
05-07-2012, 09:40 PM
I had a visit from my trio childcare worker today and she said that I needed to have a specific Smoking Policy in place from Sept 2012. Thats why I was attempting it tonight :eek:

catlyn
05-07-2012, 10:10 PM
OFFS...excuse my french :o how many more so called "experts" are going to give us duff information on this revised EYFS document??? Why on earth would you need a No Smoking policy as a requirement if no one smokes and it isnt allowed on the premises???

not aimed at you Hilary...its your childcare worker that needs to get her facts straight...could you not challenge her to show you exactly where in the revised EYFS document it says that??

sarah707
06-07-2012, 06:54 AM
NO SMOKING POLICY

We are committed to protecting children from the dangers of smoke and smoky atmospheres.

EYFS 2012 requirement 3.55 states,

'Providers must have a no smoking policy, and must prevent smoking in a room, or outside play area, when children are present or about to be present.'

The Health Act 2006 implements new rules regulating smoking in England with effect from 1 July 2007. The legislative changes mean that smoking is illegal in childminding provisions when children are present or about to be present.

We are committed to ensuring children can play and learn in a healthy and safe environment which is smoke free. We operate a strict no smoking policy on the property including garden areas to protect children from the dangers of smoke.

Smoking is prohibited at entrances to the provision and is only allowed a reasonable distance away from the building to ensure that tobacco smoke does not enter the building via the doorway or windows.

Smoking is not allowed in vehicles owned or used by childminders.

No smoking signs are not displayed as they are not currently required for childminders, however if the requirements change we will display a sign.

Any person who smokes on the premises such as workmen, visitors or teenagers are asked to move onto the road away from the house and garden and put their smoking debris away from areas where children play.

Where possible we protect children from smoking on outings. If we are following someone who smokes along the road we will cross to another path or ‘hang back’ until the second hand smoke has dissipated.

We are committed not take the children into smoky environments and will avoid places that permit smoking if possible.

We support children to learn about the dangers of tobacco and smoking as appropriate for their ages and stages of development.

Writing date – 1.9.2012 Written by – Sarah707
Review date – July 2013 Signed -

Hth :D

miffy
06-07-2012, 07:06 AM
Thank you very much Sarah xxxxxxx

Miffy xx

rickysmiths
06-07-2012, 07:07 AM
I had a visit from my trio childcare worker today and she said that I needed to have a specific Smoking Policy in place from Sept 2012. Thats why I was attempting it tonight :eek:

From September you don't have to have any written Policies so I would have suggested very strongly that she go back and do her bedtime reading more thoroughly :panic:

These little power houses make me cross. I am so glad we don't have this in Hertfordshire it would drive me round the bend.

rickysmiths
06-07-2012, 07:13 AM
I know that Sarah but we don't have to write it down and I feel that parents are handed so much information when they join us do they really need to know chapter and verse why we are not allowed to smoke around their children and do they really care as long as we demonstrate that we don't?

I won't be adding a written Policy to my Policy document.

Twinkles
06-07-2012, 07:38 AM
Mine simply states that no-one on the premises smokes. Visitors are told not to smoke ( even outside ) and we won't take children into a smoky environment.

Keeley77
06-07-2012, 10:39 AM
That really helps me out sarah, thank you! :clapping:

Pipsqueak
06-07-2012, 10:47 AM
No i don't allow the kids to bring fags to the setting.....:D

rickysmiths
06-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Mine simply states that no-one on the premises smokes. Visitors are told not to smoke ( even outside ) and we won't take children into a smoky environment.

Thats all I have in my info.