PDA

View Full Version : SEF

Fudge30
05-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Hi

I have been childminding my friends baby since Nov last year, I now no that as much as i love kids (got twins myself) i no longer want to do this as my career. However i am unable to quit until other work becomes available.
Becuase of this attitude i havent done any paper work, including the SEF and i wondered if it was compusary and worth me doing even though i know this is not what i want to do anymore. I am still awaiting my first inspection from ofsted too and wondered whether to mention anything to them regarding this?

Many Thanks :(

Bridey
05-07-2012, 03:50 PM
I'm sorry you are not enjoying being a childminder :(

The SEF isn't compulsory but considered good practice. We need to show how we are developing.

If you are minding your friends baby and getting paid then you are operating as a registered childminder and will be expected to do all the paperwork to comply with both the statutory requirements of the Early Years & Childcare registers. If you haven't done ANY then I'm not sure your insurance is valid. If you get an inspection Ofsted won't be lenient because you think you will be giving up - they will inspect you as normal and you could risk getting an unsatisfactory grading. This would be a shame should you decide to change your mind.

Fudge30
05-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks Bridey for your response. I know it is wrong to be like this and i feel bad for not getting my work done. I have got my policies and procedures in place including risk assesments etc. It just the SEF and long/short term plans at present that i am still to do. And i will do them to the best i can. I just wondered if it was compulsory. Just hard getting started as to what to write. Ill get there in the end.
Thanks again