PDA

View Full Version : Problem with neighbours

Pebble76
05-07-2012, 09:31 AM
Hi All,

I'm currently doing my cm training and I'm getting my garage converted to a purpose built playroom for when I start.

I have recently heard that my next door neighbour is going to oppose me doing childminding.....!!!! :( Is this something she can do??

We own our own house and have not needed planning permission for the conversion as we are not making any structural changes to the garage, just the interior.

Any answers / suggestions would be a great help!

Thanks,
Pebble xxx

Bridey
05-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Nice neighbour!

I don't see who she can contact to oppose you! Complain to the councll? We are registered by Ofsted.

However, there are some instances in which you need permission from the council eg: if you mind over a certain number of children, use an advertising sign over a certain size at your property. I would ring them for a chat just to make sure you stick within the guidelines that they set.

I'm sure she will soon realise that your business will have little impact on her day to day life. You may have to ask your parents to be considerate when dropping off & collecting when you start - make sure they don't block her driveway, let children run riot etc

caz3007
05-07-2012, 10:00 AM
If you have spoken to her before, how about asking her around for a cuppa and having a chat about your business and how you will ensure it wont impact on her. I think its all about give and take and you can find out what her concerns are and address them

~Chelle~
05-07-2012, 10:53 AM
I don't see how she can oppose you becoming a childminder! You own your own home and what you do in it is your business!

I can understand her being a bit apprehensive as she may think that there will be a lot of noise, but all the kids I have ever minded have been really good and I have asked my neighbours if they can hear them, but they never have.

What would your neighbour do if you were to have 7 of your own children?? She can't complain to anyone, only her husband :laughing::laughing:

I didn't need any permission from the council at all with regards to setting up as a minder and I have never been visited by anyone from the local council. I know that I appear on their website and that they send me information in relation to childminding.

I agree that maybe you should have a chat with her and see what her concerns are and try and put her mind at rest. How do you know that she is going to oppose you being a childminder??

caz3007
05-07-2012, 11:13 AM
I have elderly neighbours at the bottom of my garden and we talk to them sometimes out the front of their houses and they say we are a quiet and they cant believe I have children. Yes we do make a noise, but I dont allow excessive noise here, no screaming for the sake of it, they can do that in the park

Kats Kids
05-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Sorry - cant offer much advice about neighbour but We recently had the garage converted into a couple of rooms - was a fairly large garage. Whilst we didn't need planning permissions we did get building regs inspected - handy from a h&s point of view (checked suitable exits in case of fire ect.)

Pebble76
05-07-2012, 03:39 PM
We have only lived there since February and she has been as nice as pie to my face. She has 4 grown up children all living at home herself as well as her new granddaughter. Our neighbours on the other side (who have 12 children) told my husband that she has been asking the neighbours what they think of it and that she intends to oppose it....

I was worried but you have all put my mind at ease. :laughing:

We have had building regs check the conversion as we are going along and everything is above board there.

I think next time I see her I will ask if she has any issues like you have all suggested and take it from there.

Thanks a million, I can sleep at ease tonight now, I have been worrying myself silly!!! :-) xxx

sue m
05-07-2012, 03:49 PM
I'm glad we were all so helpful love lol. :laughing::thumbsup:

caz3007
05-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Other neighbour has 12 children :eek:, well you wont have that many on the premises at one time :)

sue m
05-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Other neighbour has 12 children :eek:, well you wont have that many on the premises at one time :)

lol, she certainly won't. 12 children! They should get a telly! :eek:

md0u0131
05-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Like the others have said she can't really object. It would be interesting to hear why she objects? Is she thinking of doing it herself or something?

Ripeberry
05-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Like the others have said she can't really object. It would be interesting to hear why she objects? Is she thinking of doing it herself or something?

Or maybe she was going to do it illegally? :mad:

sue m
05-07-2012, 05:08 PM
No ladies, she's got a career and doesn't do anything illegally - if you know what I mean. It's her job to be legal. :panic: :rolleyes:

Pipsqueak
05-07-2012, 07:04 PM
A colleague of mine had this with her neighbour.
He complained to the Parish council and local....
Parish popped round and found nothing wrong...
Local imposed restrictions on her with regards amount of children - first they said she was only allowed 2 and then they increased to 4 after a years wrangling.
These restrrictions trump Ofsted.

However after more wrangling after 3 years the restrictions were lifted - as the council realised the complaints coming in were malicious.

However but that time my friends business had suffered badly and she had enough.

What we DID do was often descend upon hers with OUR kids ..... :littleangel:

Bridey
05-07-2012, 07:13 PM
No ladies, she's got a career and doesn't do anything illegally - if you know what I mean. It's her job to be legal. :panic: :rolleyes:

So basically she's not even going to be in while you are minding? :rolleyes:

MAWI
05-07-2012, 08:33 PM
She cannot stop you from childminding but I can assure you neighbours can be the funniest of people if they think that something is going to affect their property, even if it doesn't.

I had an extension built last year for a new playroom which I needed planning permission for(only because a lane runs behind the garden otherwise could have built what we like)

My neighbour opposed the planning permission because they thought it was going to block their light and we proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was impossible for that to happen and the council quashed the complaint straight away. It was designed so that windows only overlooked our garden and was nowhere near any boundaries of hers.

This is the best bit....my neighbour was one of my parents and I looked after her baby from 8 months to when she was 4 year old at the time and would be one of the children benefitting from the extension! Also, what I later realised was the day they asked me to look after her on a non contract day was actually the same day they sent their complaint to the council! The cheek of it.

And she wonders why I can the bothered to talk to her these days!

I'm sure everything will be fine:)

Pebble76
05-07-2012, 08:36 PM
No, she's a police woman!! She leaves very early and does not get back till late. I have no idea what her issue is but I just wanted to post it on her in case anyone knew of anything she could do to be able to stop me.

Thank you all for your answers and advice! :laughing: xx

Tazmin68
22-08-2012, 04:48 PM
I would not worry. Many years ago we had new neighbours and they complained about the children playing in the back garden ( laughing). The council took it no further another neighbour told me that the council told them that they had more serious complaints to deal with than children playing in the garden