PDA

View Full Version : Annoyed with school.

nikki thomson
04-07-2012, 12:42 PM
I received via text message aliitle earlier this text from my children's school.
Message from School:There has been an incident today where a man was observed crossing school premises with fire arm. Police were on site immediately and the man has been arrested. There is and never was any danger to the children and school will continue as normal for the remainder of the day.

I didn't know what to think when I got this and I don't think it was appropriate in a text message, can't get through to school it's constantly engaged, I'm livid tbh.

VeggieSausage
04-07-2012, 12:46 PM
I suppose they have to let parents know what has happened before gossip spreads and text is the quickest way to do it. Thank goodness no-one hurt :)

FussyElmo
04-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Admittly it wasnt the best form of communication but its definetly the quickest.

glad everything is ok :thumbsup:

madmamma
04-07-2012, 01:02 PM
I can understand you feeling the way you are, however, how long do you think it would take the school to call each parent and then have to try reassuring the more 'chattery' ones not to make their way over to school, no everythings fine, etc etc etc. You probably wouldn't have known about it at all until hometime, or will have heard the rumour mill scare stories well before you got, what I'm sure the school intended to be a confirmation everything's ok text instead.
As you said, your first reaction is call the school, and they're engaged. I doubt you'll be able to get through for the rest of the day now.

I agree with the school on this, it's the quickest way to inform a lot of people the same information, but my god, I bet your heart hit the floor.

Bridey
04-07-2012, 01:29 PM
I suppose they have to let parents know what has happened before gossip spreads and text is the quickest way to do it. Thank goodness no-one hurt :)

I agree - it would have been the only way to reach all the parents at the same time and prevent people spreading panic by gossiping.

Thank goodness everyone is safe. I can't imagine how you feel and its natural to feel angry when your first instinct is to grab your children and hold them close.

AliceK
04-07-2012, 02:40 PM
OMG, how scary. Hopefully the children may not even be aware that anything untoward was going on.

xxx

zippy
04-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Admittly it wasnt the best form of communication but its definetly the quickest.

glad everything is ok :thumbsup:

inclined to agree, although not ideal, imagine if youd logged on facebook or similar and read it there from a friend. I think they did the best they could given the circumstances, I would of course expected a letter home with kids at end of day and an oppotunity to raise questions, like plans to improve childrens protection in future, proper fencing etc, it was probably just some bloke gone hunting rabbits, bet he doesnt take short cut through school again.

nikki thomson
04-07-2012, 10:45 PM
inclined to agree, although not ideal, imagine if youd logged on facebook or similar and read it there from a friend. I think they did the best they could given the circumstances, I would of course expected a letter home with kids at end of day and an oppotunity to raise questions, like plans to improve childrens protection in future, proper fencing etc, it was probably just some bloke gone hunting rabbits, bet he doesnt take short cut through school again.

Your right, we did get a letter and several of us spoke with the headmaster at the end of the day, alot of the parents felt the text was very vague and more information would of been appreciated.
I have no problems with how they handled the incident and they implemented there emergency plan effectively.
A police helicopter and police unit were there within minutes and yes it was a 71 ye old man out shooting (we are very rural) why he decided to cross the school grounds I don't know but he won't do it again. X

Bridey
04-07-2012, 10:55 PM
What a stupid, stupid man :eek:

I am so glad it wasn't anything more sinister and that everyone is safe.

Kiddleywinks
05-07-2012, 06:53 AM
A police helicopter and police unit were there within minutes and yes it was a 71 ye old man out shooting (we are very rural) why he decided to cross the school grounds I don't know but he won't do it again. X

:eek: Bet he nearly had a heart attack lol

Glad it wasn't more serious x