PDA

View Full Version : Emergency cover

SonnysMummy
09-06-2008, 07:37 PM
On one of the handouts i received on the first part of my ICP course was about what to do in an emergency. It says that people we put down as emergency cover must be childminders. As i don't know any childminders at the moment and probably won't until i'm registered, who should i put down on my policy? What should i tell parents when they come round before i start minding their children? Also, what if when i do ask a childminder to be my emergency cover person they can't because they are full...they all may be full and then who would i put down?!

Kelly:)

crazybones
09-06-2008, 07:39 PM
I dont have a childminder as my emergency cover. I have a friend who is introduced to all parents and they have signed my policy to agree to this. It was fine at my inspection in March.

MissTinkerbell
09-06-2008, 07:45 PM
When I had my pre-reg and the visit from my development officer I was told it did not have to be another childminder. I have my DH, a friend, who just happens to be a childminder and my friend down the road, who is a nurse and also CRB checked.

breezy
09-06-2008, 07:47 PM
I have a childminder friend as emergency cover, we're allowed to go over our numbers in an emergency situation, but needless to say should make a record of it all!

Another childminder I know uses her mum as emergency cover and has signed permission from parents to do so

SonnysMummy
09-06-2008, 07:49 PM
I wonder why the info i as given says they do have to be a childminder then? Do they have to be CRB checked? Also who do you use if you are sick and can't work? Do you have other childminders who can take your mindees for that day?

Kelly:)

kindredspirits
09-06-2008, 08:23 PM
when i did my ICP in march they said it could be anyone you liked up to 3 hours, i thought my dh as he will be crb checked - but when ofsted inspected me she was shocked i had been told anyone could be used. said she wasn't 100% sure but thought it would have to be a childminder - i guess if its an emergency it doesn't matter if they are full as the parents will be called to collect asap anyway.

anna x

Blaze
09-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Your emergency person can be anyone you need it to be...another registered childminder is preferable...after that someone who's been CRB checked...but anyone will do...I have a list of people that may be used depending on the circumstances & they fall into all 3 catergories!:)

Blaze
09-06-2008, 08:29 PM
PS It's always best to give parents a list of emergency persons with contact details & get them to sign for it to cover yourself...if you ever do use your emergency person...you simply inform OFSTED & write an incident report. If your with the NCMA your insurance will cover them /you in an emergency.:)

SonnysMummy
09-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Ok, so before i meet any childminders would you say it's best to write family members or friends down on my policy until i do ask some childminders, or better to just leave it blank and fill in the contact numbers later?

Just wondered if you have other childminders that take on your mindees when you're ill too?

Blaze
09-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Ok, so before i meet any childminders would you say it's best to write family members or friends down on my policy until i do ask some childminders, or better to just leave it blank and fill in the contact numbers later? You use whom ever your comfortable with...:)

Just wondered if you have other childminders that take on your mindees when you're ill too? Nope ...it's up to the parents to sort themselves out...I give them a list of other network minders in the area when they join...that they may wish to use, but it's their decision & dependent on the other CM's spaces...NOT MY PROBLEM!;)

Hope that helps!:)

breezy
09-06-2008, 08:48 PM
my childminder friend will take on mine if I'm ill but ONLY if she has space at the time, as it's not classed as an emergency, generally parents should make their own arrangements, one set of my parents have their own emergency plans and and contacts if I'm ill etc.

buildingblocks
13-06-2008, 06:04 PM
My emergency cover is my husband (although he is now a registered childminder he has a job not as a childminder and until i can afford it he isn't insured yet) my mum aged 80 and a neighbour. It would have to be a dire emergency for them to be left caring for hte children.

I ahave permission from the parents to do this and I aslso have signed permission slips for them to keep hold of parents contact numbers in case of an emergency

FizzysFriends
13-06-2008, 06:06 PM
When ofsted asked me I said my mom and I would introduce my mom to the parent(s) during settling in and they said that was fine.

buildingblocks
13-06-2008, 06:08 PM
when i did my ICP in march they said it could be anyone you liked up to 3 hours, i thought my dh as he will be crb checked - but when ofsted inspected me she was shocked i had been told anyone could be used. said she wasn't 100% sure but thought it would have to be a childminder - i guess if its an emergency it doesn't matter if they are full as the parents will be called to collect asap anyway.

anna x

but at the end of the day anyone can care for a child for less than 2 hours so it doesn't metter in reality and in that time I would hope the parents would be there. It would have to be an absolute emergency for htem to be left in the first place and the parents trust me not to put their children in danger

I was discussing ths the other day as we were talking about if a child had to be took to hospital as I don't drive. I wondered what would happen as I would not be able to go in an ambulance with 5 other children and couldn't get there as I don't drive

Lottie
13-06-2008, 06:56 PM
I have three emergency covers. My friend who is also a CM, my Father and my partner who are also crb checked. When the inspector asked about this she was fine with my 3. I have this covered on one of my policies as well, with their phone numbers, so the parents know and can contact them incase of an emergency.