PDA

View Full Version : If your dog is a nightmare on the lead

AliceK
02-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Sorry, but I have to share this.
I have a 15mth old Springer Spaniel. He has always been a total nightmare on the lead. He pulls and pulls and is so strong. I have tried all sorts of leads, collars, harnesses etc with no success. It was so embarassing taking him for a walk. Then on Saturday whilst in the petshop I saw a "Canny Collar" and spent a while talking to a staff member about it and decided to buy it and give it a go. It's the type of device where there is a bit that goes around the dogs nose. I thought my dog would completely flip out when I put it on him but with the help of a few treats he was fine about it. I took him out in the garden on this to test it and then when OH came home I told him he had to take the dog out on it. OMG, it is amazing. We can walk the dog with 1 hand. The dog will walk at our side, he has NEVER done this. This collar is absolutely amazing. Believe me if it works on my maniac of a dog it will work on any dog. Well worth the money. So if you too have a mad dog who you cannot walk on the lead, get one, it really does work.

xxxxx

Bridey
02-07-2012, 08:51 AM
I got one for my golden retriever who was a very strong puller. She was an older rescue dog so the habit was well established.

I was very excited about the new 'face' collar and put it on in the shop. We left the shop with her walking beautifully to heel. She then lay down in the middle of the pavement outside the shop and refused to budge until I had removed it! :laughing:

I found a body harness worked on her - to the point that the school age mindees could hold her on our walks.

migimoo
02-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Is this like my dog's Halti i wonder? There is also one called a gentle leader or something.
I know what u mean-people ask if i'm on commission i rave about them that much!
We have a collie cross who pulls SO much we were considering rehoming her-i have arthritis and would end up in tears after a walk because she'd yanked my hands and wrists so much,my kids could never walk her as she'd pull them over....within an hour of having the halti she was walking by my side,no pulling-total transformation.
She doesn't like it and if we are still she constantly rubs her face on the floor to get it off but once we're on the move it's forgotten!

AliceK
02-07-2012, 08:57 AM
I got one for my golden retriever who was a very strong puller. She was an older rescue dog so the habit was well established.

I was very excited about the new 'face' collar and put it on in the shop. We left the shop with her walking beautifully to heel. She then lay down in the middle of the pavement outside the shop and refused to budge until I had removed it! :laughing:

I found a body harness worked on her - to the point that the school age mindees could hold her on our walks.

I tried numerous harnesses but they don't work with my little monkey. With the Canny collar as long as he's on a short lead he can't get it off. Mind you he hasn't tried.
xx

AliceK
02-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Is this like my dog's Halti i wonder? There is also one called a gentle leader or something.
I know what u mean-people ask if i'm on commission i rave about them that much!
We have a collie cross who pulls SO much we were considering rehoming her-i have arthritis and would end up in tears after a walk because she'd yanked my hands and wrists so much,my kids could never walk her as she'd pull them over....within an hour of having the halti she was walking by my side,no pulling-total transformation.
She doesn't like it and if we are still she constantly rubs her face on the floor to get it off but once we're on the move it's forgotten!

It is very similar to the Halti but with that it kept riding up to his eyes which I didn't like neither did he, plus he hated having his head pulled to the side all the time. But it's the same kind of fit.

xxx

Bridey
02-07-2012, 09:07 AM
It may have been a halti I tried - Bonnie hated it and just flopped to the ground as soon as it was on her!

mummyof3
02-07-2012, 09:32 AM
I walk my boxer on a canny collar but I'm changing to a dogmatic as its rubbing on his chops :laughing:

LauraS
02-07-2012, 09:46 AM
One of the mums at the school has a Springer and swears by the canny collars :)

Pipsqueak
02-07-2012, 09:51 AM
I use a body harness on Daisy - she is a rescue dog and an established puller on the lead. I found it so hard walking her and the OH was the only one who could handle her.

I can't remember what the harness is called but I got it from Pets at Home and the long body strap runs under the body enabling me to control her.
It works a treat for us...

aly
02-07-2012, 11:00 PM
with my 2 huskies we use a front leader...basically the lead clip on their chest so if they try to pull it turns them...its fab.

amanda1309
03-07-2012, 08:18 AM
We used a canny collar with our springer but he managed to chew through it.
It did work when he wasn't chewing it :laughing:

AliceK
03-07-2012, 08:51 AM
We used a canny collar with our springer but he managed to chew through it.
It did work when he wasn't chewing it :laughing:

:laughing::laughing: I assume he wasn't wearing it at the time???

xxx