PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me it gets easier!!!

Nic83
28-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Hi all, I'm just after a few words of encouragement tbh. I'm currently waiting for my reg cert to come through. I have been helping out my cm friend for a few weeks, just to get a taste of what im going to be doing. As well as looking after a full time baby, she cares for another 7 children (i think!!!) - Not all at the same time obviously, but there is not many spare hours throughout her week where she's not childminding. Amongst her lot there are twin 18mnth old boys. My friend is away on holiday, and the mother of the twins (who is a girl i went to school with), asked if i could look after them for the 2 weeks. Me, thinking it would be fab experience readily agreed. I've had them this week as well as my own daughter who is in nursery. Please tell me you were all demented after your first week....... I am worn out, i'm irritable, my house is upside down. I've tried, i really have, but i seriously underestimated how organised a cm must be. I guess i'm just after a little sympathy, feeling abit sorry for myself. You all seem so positive and on the ball....... How do you do it!!!!!! Boo hoo!!

The Juggler
28-06-2012, 08:21 PM
no you are not alone :laughing: i went from working in an office 5 days a week to having my own two full time, plus a baby and after schooler, then took on another under 5 shortly after - it was one hell of a shock to the system I can tell you. :eek: but I loved being at home with my two.

you do get used to the mess and you do get more organised about getting out of the house. I used to cry to a friend that it took so long to get a baby and 2 x 2 year olds dressed to go out in winter and didn't think I could ever get better at it. A friend told me it comes with time and practice and trial and error. And it does, you get expert ;)

chin up hon. If it's any consolation, I've been at it nearly 8 years and only a few months ago took on 4 under 5's for the first time. I'm not any less organised but boy am I knackered every day :p:p

you will be fine xx

butterfly
28-06-2012, 08:29 PM
It will get easier - or it will feel easier I suppose as you get more organised and start doing things automatically instead of having to over-think everything!

You'll get into a routine and things will get done quicker.

Don't get me wrong - you'll be tired and your house will be a mess but you do get used to it!!

toddlers896
28-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Hi Nic.
Ive only been childminding since February and not that long ago I was saying the same as you. PLease tell me it gets easier. I was also thinking have I done the right thing. I think i was living in a dream world and thinking it was all goig to be plian sailing but I have come across a few obstacles since starting. Nothing serious, just things like, child wont eat what i put down, grubby hands all over my nice walls, child wont sleep when tired. Whenever I felt down or needed a bit of advice i posted on here or chatted with my Childminding friends and they have all been absolutely fab. I absolutely love my job now and am just so happy doing childminding I dont think i will ever look back. So i guess what ime saying is stick with it becasue it does get easier and hopefully you will be smiling like I am now. Good luck with your career x:clapping:

Nic83
28-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Thanks for your lovely replies. You've really given me the boost i needed. Guess i had my rose tinted glasses on abit re the whole childminding thing. I was envisioning picnics in the park..... All children in my care happy, well behaved, me some kind of Geordie Mary Poppins. Hmmmm slightly different story in reality!!! Thanks again xx

Bridey
28-06-2012, 09:37 PM
LOL - I've been childminding for 13 years and I looked after my 20 week old twin nephews yesterday for four hours - it near killed me!! :D

I would say build up slowly (if you can afford to). That's how I did it - you get to put coping systems into place. I now have 15 children in and out each week and I don't think anything of it anymore - it just seems .... normal!!

lozzy23
28-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Hi Nic

I think most of us have been where you are at the moment. I remember when I first started as a CM, I felt exhausted, I would go to about mid afternoon and realise I had not eaten lunch, I still needed to write up their daily diaries, had toys everwhere etc etc. Once I got into a routine and got to know the children and their needs better it improved beyond recognition.

I also find that whenever a new child starts, the routine goes off keel for a few weeks, until we all get used to eachother (myself, new child and existing children).

In two weeks time, I have an 8mth old LO starting, I will have 4 EY children for 4 days a week and I am going from being excited to being absolutely terrified:panic:

I am sure next week will begin to feel easier and you will probably miss the LO's when your friend gets back from holiday.

Oh and have to agree with the other posters (as I sit her looking at my lounge/diner:eek:), your house will look a mess and you will be exhausted, but I absolutely love being a childminder:clapping:

The Juggler
28-06-2012, 10:02 PM
lozzy totally with you there. i was terrified of 4 every day and it was just as hard as I expected. its' lovely now we've all settled and found our routine again but still physically exhausting:o

Nic83
29-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Just wanted to let you all know, my day was much better today. The twins get so grumpy in the afternoon (their mum doesn't want them having a nap!), but last few days i've been planning 'going out' activities for this time..... Recepi for disaster. So we had a trip to the park this morning, and a chilled out (kind of!) afternoon in the garden. Suited my LO to, which is always a bonus. Good advise Bridey, I'm definately going to start off small, and build up my numbers slowly. Just ease myself into it. I think you're right Lozzy, i will definately miss the twins. They've been giving me hugs and kisses (well, licks!) today, and it's really made it feel worthwhile.
Yay, i'm not ending the day in tears :clapping: My house is a mess, but i'm not going to stress, it's friday night, and the chilled bottle of vino is calling my name!!! xx

Kimmy050983
29-06-2012, 06:24 PM
I also find that whenever a new child starts, the routine goes off keel for a few weeks, until we all get used to eachother (myself, new child and existing children).

Oh this is so so true - I had another mindee start 4 weeks ago and whilst it's lovely etc it completely threw all our routine etc out the window. My son hasn't coped very well and other mindee is completely testing me out again but I am slowly seeing the light at the end of the tunnel as we had a lovely day yesterday.. :)

lozzy23
29-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Ah thats brilliant news, you are doing a fab job, you have realised the needs of the children and planned your day around their needs. That means happy children and happy CM:clapping::thumbsup:

Have a lovely weekend x

lozzy23
29-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Oh this is so so true - I had another mindee start 4 weeks ago and whilst it's lovely etc it completely threw all our routine etc out the window. My son hasn't coped very well and other mindee is completely testing me out again but I am slowly seeing the light at the end of the tunnel as we had a lovely day yesterday.. :)

So pleased it is beginning to get better. I shall probably be posting on here for support when my new LO starts, he is going through the seperation anxiety stage:panic: