PDA

View Full Version : Just an Observation about the Revised EYFS

rickysmiths
27-06-2012, 10:21 AM
It seems reading all the threads about the Revised EYFS it is often being referred to now as the NEW Eyfs.

This is not correct. What has been published is a REVISION to the existing Eyfs and must be used along side what we have. The Revision for example gives use some more 'Musts' like covering the use of Mobile Phones and Camers in our Safeguarding Policy.

However all the 'Musts' in the existing Eyfs will still apply plus the new ones in the Revision document so don't trow away the current Eyfs document because you still very much need it.

Penny1959
27-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Whilst I agree that it is not the new EYFS - it is the Revised EYFS, I have not read or heard anywhere that the 'MUSTS' in the current EYFS still apply =- I thought the whole point was that it was a slimmed down version - and if all the current EYFS is to continued to be statutory then it is much bigger and not slim at all.

I am not saying you are wrong RS - and just saying not heard it before and I will investigate because if that is true my own understanding is incorrect and therefore the advice and guidance that I give to others wrong.

I have to admit that if what you say is right - the whole thing will be very confusing and everyone will have to keep checking and double checking if something is in the current version.is still in place or has been superceeded by something in the revised verision

Off to check

Penny :)

rickysmiths
27-06-2012, 11:29 AM
This was what we were told in our training on Monday Penny. We were told to regard the revision as just that, it revises the current document but the core of the Welfare Requirements will still apply if they have not been revised.

I must say it makes absolute sense to me and I don't see any difficulty in working with it. I already do and so I will apply the new bits as they apply.

Obviously the Development Matters is new except we can still use and apply the cards from the original set along with the old Birth to Three Matters and to be honest I think that is more confusing than the Welfare Requirements.

christine e
27-06-2012, 11:31 AM
I'm with Penny on this - it is a revised EYFS - I have been advised to retain the EYFS 2008 cards as I may still find them useful but other than that I will be working from the new books from Sept

Cx

Penny1959
27-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Have done my checking - well as much as can do from my computer

And my understanding is still that the revised EYFS comes into force on 1st Sepotember 2012 and will be used for inspections from 3rd September 2012.

It is also my understanding that IT IS ONLY the revised EYFS that we have to comply with - the current EYFS will not be used after the 1st September.

I have checked all my documents, Ofsted presentations and notes from DfE - and I can find no reference to continuing to use the current EYFS.

Finally I think this statement from the revised EYFS says it all, because if the current EYFS was still to be used it would have to say so.

This framework is mandatory for all early years providers (from 1 September 2012)1: maintained schools, non-maintained schools, independent schools, and all providers on the Early Years Register2. The learning and development requirements are given legal force by an Order made under Section 39(1)(a) of the Childcare Act 2006. The safeguarding and welfare requirements are given legal force by regulations made under Section 39(1)(b) of the Childcare Act 2006.

RS - who gave you the information - maybe you could go back to them and ask them to clarify and say where reference is made to the current EYFS being used after Sept 1st

rickysmiths
27-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Have done my checking - well as much as can do from my computer

And my understanding is still that the revised EYFS comes into force on 1st Sepotember 2012 and will be used for inspections from 3rd September 2012.

It is also my understanding that IT IS ONLY the revised EYFS that we have to comply with - the current EYFS will not be used after the 1st September.

I have checked all my documents, Ofsted presentations and notes from DfE - and I can find no reference to continuing to use the current EYFS.

Finally I think this statement from the revised EYFS says it all, because if the current EYFS was still to be used it would have to say so.

This framework is mandatory for all early years providers (from 1 September 2012)1: maintained schools, non-maintained schools, independent schools, and all providers on the Early Years Register2. The learning and development requirements are given legal force by an Order made under Section 39(1)(a) of the Childcare Act 2006. The safeguarding and welfare requirements are given legal force by regulations made under Section 39(1)(b) of the Childcare Act 2006.

RS - who gave you the information - maybe you could go back to them and ask them to clarify and say where reference is made to the current EYFS being used after Sept 1st

It was our Early Years Trainers who did the Training. Playmate did the training last week and Blueboy was with me on Monday. I think we both understood both would be used. I will email the trainer and quote the above paragraph and ask for clarification. I will come back to you when I have a response.

Penny1959
27-06-2012, 11:47 AM
It was our Early Years Trainers who did the Training. Playmate did the training last week and Blueboy was with me on Monday. I think we both understood both would be used. I will email the trainer and quote the above paragraph and ask for clarification. I will come back to you when I have a response.

Thank you RS - it is always worth checking as they may have ome up to date information

charleyfarley
27-06-2012, 11:50 AM
We were told on our training in June that both were to be used along side each other:thumbsup:

Carol xx

Penny1959
27-06-2012, 12:29 PM
I have asked my friend Carol M who went to the Worcestershire training (I didn't) and she say she was told current EYFS only until Sept 1st - then revised EYFS.

It seems we are getting confusing messages - so I have emailed my contact at Ofsted to ask the question. Not sure if she will get back to me as a very busy person - but I hope so.

Also emailed my contact at PLA

Will let you know if I get a response from either

Penny:)

BuggsieMoo
27-06-2012, 12:51 PM
Ive also been told from Sept it is the NEW set of the eyfs (REVISED ONES) only. Would be interesting to see what Ofsted say so thanks Penny.

I know one thing for sure though - still dreading getting my head around it all (again!) :eek:

md0u0131
27-06-2012, 01:23 PM
I was under the impression from our training it was just the new one too. Hopefully someone will respond with a clarification.

Penny1959
27-06-2012, 01:53 PM
My contact at PLA has responded to say that she agrees with me.

However to be sure she emailed her contact at Ofsted (different to my contact)

MY PLA cooleagues contact at Ofsted has reply as follows

Dear xxxxx

We will use the new EYFS to regulate and inspect all providers from 3 September 2012.

What we did say at one or two of the LA briefings is that the new EYFS doesn’t necessarily mean that providers or local authorities need to tear up any good practice materials they’ve been using up until now as what was good practice under the old EYFS is just as likely to be good practice under the new. They will just have to make sure that what they are doing is consistent with the new EYFS requirements.

We’ve also said that the current inspection judgements will be able to be ‘mapped’ onto the new ones; we said this in the context of a local authority asking a question about having just issued all of their guidance on their own quality improvement programme against the current judgements (ie we said they didn’t necessarily need to scrap what they’ve already done as the judgements could be mapped across – but it would be a decision for them as to whether or not they did so).

This may account for some confusion – and I hope this email is helpful in explaining things perhaps a bit more clearly than we did at the briefing events. Of course, local authorities may insist – as part of their own arrangements for providing training, information and support – that they want providers to do something different, but this is not within Ofsted’s control.

Ofsted signature

Hope that helps

Mouse
27-06-2012, 01:54 PM
We were told it was just the new framework & to throw anything else away that was from the current one!

Surely if the first one was still to be used, then the issue about the revised one not mentioning variations for continuity of care wouldn't arise as we'd just have to refer to the current rules. That would mean referring to the revised one for part of the variation rules and the current on for other parts. Totally impractical :rolleyes:

Playmate
27-06-2012, 04:30 PM
I have to be honest my understanding from the same training was that the welfare requirements are replaced. We were recommended not get rid of the principles into practice cards. Mick was at the same session as RS and believes what she is saying could have come across like this :panic:

rickysmiths
27-06-2012, 04:43 PM
I have to be honest my understanding from the same training was that the welfare requirements are replaced. We were recommended not get rid of the principles into practice cards. Mick was at the same session as RS and believes what she is saying could have come across like this :panic:

I have emailed Rosie for clarification but I came away with the impression that they wanted us to use the old and new together. Mind you I'm a bit brain dead at present so that might account for it as well. :laughing:

I'll post when I get a reply.

Playmate
27-06-2012, 04:56 PM
I have emailed Rosie for clarification but I came away with the impression that they wanted us to use the old and new together. Mind you I'm a bit brain dead at present so that might account for it as well. :laughing:

I'll post when I get a reply.

Unfortunately you may have to wait for your reply as Rosie is now on leave, but possibibly one of the others may pick up her emails :D

rickysmiths
27-06-2012, 06:02 PM
Unfortunately you may have to wait for your reply as Rosie is now on leave, but possibibly one of the others may pick up her emails :D

Oh great!!! Well I'm sure we will get a response before 1st Sept!!!

sarah707
27-06-2012, 06:08 PM
The revised Eyfs which is law from 1st Sept 2012 completely replaces the old one as far as the requirements are concerned.

It has been written to make things easier to understand and to lessen the burden on practitioners not increase it.

The Development Matters guidance has also been completely revised and the old document will not be relevant from 1st Sept.

There is a certain amount of cross-over with the principles into practice cards - especially the orange ones which link to the characteristics of learning.

I hope this clarifies for all the confused and worried members who have been sending me messages all day!! I will reply to you all individually over the course of the evening.

Sorry I haven't got back to you earlier guys I've been minding today. :D

sarak31
27-06-2012, 07:58 PM
I was told the same - that the old one still applied as well and the musts remained too. But there were a few things that they didn't know anything about (and I did because of this lovely forum!) so I think they are learning it too at the same time of us - so I wondered whether this was a mistake?

Penny1959
27-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Just a suggestion - if any of you are asking your LA for clarification you could copy and paste the statement from Ofsted to show why you are seeking that clarification.

I think it is fair to say that the LA's are still getting their heads round it all and the people doing the training may not have been the people who attended the Ofsted LA briefings (usually a senior person)

My LA phoned ME for information :D

Their senior person did attend the Ofsted LA briefing

BUT still a coupleof things said that I think they got wrong.

However we should not be too hard on them (been there, worn the LA T.shirt - made mistakes) as we all make mistakes at times and we all misunderstand things at times.

Penny:)

miffy
27-06-2012, 09:50 PM
I had not thought about this - I just assumed that e revised EYFS replaced the current one. Glad to know that IS the case, it would be very confusing trying to work both documents together :panic:

Miffy xx

BucksCM
27-06-2012, 11:55 PM
I went to a briefing session tonight and specifically asked them this question.
Yes, it does replace it and from Sept 2012 we have to work to the revised EYFS. But we should keep the cards from the old pack.
Was also told that the Birth 2 Three matters is coming back and the pack we were sent a couple of years ago is now in use again!! DOH:eek: Guess I'll have to download it then!

Penny1959
28-06-2012, 09:24 AM
My contact at Ofsted has replied - as you will see is 'high up'

Dear Penny

I do not know where this information has come from. We will expect all providers to use the new EYFS from 1 September onwards. We have said that we do not expect all providers to have necessarily changed all their documents by 1 September but the clear expectation is that everyone will know about and use the new EYFS

Best wishes

Divisional Manager Early Years and Childcare
Ofsted

Personally I find it reassuring that some lee way over paperwork updates - as must know about changes needed but might not have complete all the document changes,