PDA

View Full Version : Panicking over price increase

Ms WG
25-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Basically I've had two siblings before and after school. To cut a long story short parents got divorced, both had to get new jobs with a lot of commuting involved and when I worked out a price for their hours I heavily discounted it - wish I hadn't now.

The elder sibling is leaving at the end of school term as she's off to High School so I did explain that as I had been giving them a reduction for the two children, as I would now only be having the one child that I would have to increase his fees accordingly. Mum was fine with that but I've worked it out and I feel awful, even though its what a childminder around the corner said she would charge as well.

Hourly rate for over 5's = £5 per hour

Before School 0720 - 0900 = £7.50 per day (currently paying £5.00). Happy to provide breakfast but usually eaten before they arrive

After School 1530 - 1830 = £15.00 (currently paying £10.00). Drinks, snacks included

Mother is also consisitently late on a Friday evening, (as she has to drive from Swindon to Cardiff) sometimes not collecting till nearly 7pm, and I've never charged a late collection fee, although could do under the terms of my contact

Rubybubbles
25-06-2012, 01:33 PM
As one is leaving I would call a meeting for new contracts for the other child.

Your prices your rules:thumbsup:

Ms WG
25-06-2012, 01:44 PM
I'm just a complete whimp on the money side. I end up doing myself out of proper fees, by trying to appease the parents

Bridey
25-06-2012, 01:55 PM
But you have already said that mum is fine so there is no-one to appease! She obviously values you as a childminder and, as a lone parent, is probably getting some financial help in the form of tax credits or vouchers.

You having her children for a few hours each day means that she can go and earn a full time wage and I bet she is earning more than £5 an hour so don't feel bad. You earn that money and I am sure she is very glad to have you.

Ms WG
25-06-2012, 02:00 PM
I told her there would be an increase but didnt give any figures at the time. It was a quick door step chat.

I know she'll probably be fine with it. The local school are opening an after school club in September which is charging £10 up until 6pm and she's already said she'd rather use me than change to the club (even though the hours wouldt be enough for her)

I just go into a hot sweat thinking about it all, and cant type for toffee now