PDA

View Full Version : Work on Garden - can I claim?

Bluebell
24-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Last year I had some work done on the garden. I wasn't going to claim for it because we would have had to have had some work done eventually but I think I should claim a percentage but not sure how to work it out!!

Basically when we moved the decking in the garden wasn't proper decking it was just planks of woods - they were very slippery and dangerous because covered in a green slime type thing and several areas had rotted through so big, sharp holes. We had covered the holes with things like plants pots, MDF boards and the sand pit. The steps up to the top part of the garden were a bit precarious and again some had rotted through. We kind of worked our way round it but knew we had to improve it before I started minding.

This became a priority and despite us wanting/needing to do improvements to our home- like family bathroom we couldn't afford to do both. So we had the work done. We concreted it out so flat surface for play and put a ramp in for pushchair access and so no steep steps. we bought the lower level up and the higher level down so not such a big drop.

We then also had safety railing but around the drop and the slope to stop any children falling off the ledge. He did it in a way that meant the bottom of the railings and the barrier he built to withhold the concrete had a seat on so the little children have something to sit on.

He has broken it down to materials, labour and digger hire. He has then broken it down further by costing the extra timber for seating and handrails and costing the extra labour for seating and handrails.

Can I claim a percentage of it or should I just claim for the seating and safety railing which was specifically for the little children?

Chatterbox Childcare
28-06-2012, 01:06 PM
I had a course with a tax advisor from HMRC and he said IF you wouldn't do it for your own family then claim the lot HOWEVER if you do then you could put a percentage through BUT if you are investigated then you could pay more back in tax and interest penalties than what you are claiming. Have another look and see how much you will save.

Bluebell
28-06-2012, 07:12 PM
I'm thinking I will claim 25% this pretty much equates to the work I had done specifically for childcare - safety railings. low level seating and the ramp. It is also far less than what I could justify for 'usage' wise if we looked at who uses the garden as a whole - as that would be at least 75% for childminding. Thanks for your reply x

jaswinder bedi
28-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Claim About 25% is pretty good. you could also claim for following year 25%, and year after claim 25% on the fourth years it will get paid off. You cannot claime all in one go. But if you are using for the child care purpose you could do that wAy I was advised on my wii games which was expensive with all the other bits and bobs. It was originally for my son but 95% childminding kids use them and they hav taken over it and my children don't play on it. So i claimed it that way. Lol.:thumbsup:

MrAnchovy
01-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Claim About 25% is pretty good. you could also claim for following year 25%, and year after claim 25% on the fourth years it will get paid off. You cannot claime all in one go. But if you are using for the child care purpose you could do that wAy I was advised on my wii games which was expensive with all the other bits and bobs. It was originally for my son but 95% childminding kids use them and they hav taken over it and my children don't play on it. So i claimed it that way. Lol.:thumbsup:

You cannot do this, you can only claim (an appropriate portion of) expenditure in the year it is spent.

MrAnchovy
01-07-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm thinking I will claim 25% this pretty much equates to the work I had done specifically for childcare - safety railings. low level seating and the ramp. It is also far less than what I could justify for 'usage' wise if we looked at who uses the garden as a whole - as that would be at least 75% for childminding. Thanks for your reply x

If you want to be sure that it will not be challenged if you have an inspection, call HMRC for a specific ruling and follow up in writing.

Bluebell
01-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Thank you Mr Anchovy -I have already submitted my tax return but may phone to clarify - better to amend now then if they check up within the next 6 years!
I didn't realise I could consult HMRC on something like that - I assumed they would direct me to some complex form that I cannot interpret or tell me to consult an accountant!
(Like Ofsted really - last time I asked them to clarify something they directed me to the very passage I was querying! Fortunately I found my answer on here!)