PDA

View Full Version : Adhoc policy

pinkellifun
16-06-2012, 05:37 PM
I would like some advice. I have wrote several threads about a pita parent and have finally told them its my way or the highway and they have come back and decided to say yes - finally! They have decided on the adhoc way so pay for what they use. They only want 6 hours a week at most, some weeks 3 hours, some weeks none.

They have asked whether I have an adhoc policy which I don't but due to them being a pita parent I would like to get something in place to protect myself in case I have problems with them.

Can anyone suggest what kind of info you think i could put into it. And also what kind of notice period would you suggest for an adhoc contract?

Thanks in advance

rickysmiths
16-06-2012, 05:53 PM
I wouldn't do a Policy I would detail for them. Do it on headed paper and you state at the bottom that the parents has read, agreed to and received a copy of this document.

What hours when.
An acceptable min and max number of hours to be paid for. What kind of notice you need of the hours they need you for.
What they pay for any last min reductions or cancellations of hours.
What they pay for holidays both yours and theirs.
What they pay if the child is off sick
Do they pay if you are off sick?
What happens about Bank Holidays

pinkellifun
16-06-2012, 07:03 PM
How about something like this???

The contract you have signed explains many terms and conditions. The ones specific to this adhoc contract are stated below.

 If you want to change the hours or days I look after your child you must give me 14 days notice, preferably in writing. I may not be able to agree to the change but will confirm in writing either way and provide a new contract where necessary.

 If your child does not attend at the agreed upon times (e.g. if they are ill, on holiday, etc), you are still liable to pay for these unused hours.

 If you or I want to end this contract we must both give 4 weeks notice in writing and fees are fully payable upto and including the contract end date.

 If there is anything you are not happy with, please let me know immediately.

Please sign below to agree that you have read and understood this letter and the signed contract.

Most of the things you mentioned, rickysmiths, are in the actual contract so I don't really need to bring them up again, do I?

LauraS
16-06-2012, 08:06 PM
How about something like this???

The contract you have signed explains many terms and conditions. The ones specific to this adhoc contract are stated below.

 If you want to change the hours or days I look after your child you must give me 14 days notice, preferably in writing. I may not be able to agree to the change but will confirm in writing either way and provide a new contract where necessary. Is this relevent to an ad-hoc contract? It seems to be about parents changing the regular hours and days a child is looked after within the context of a regular contract. Difficult to tell out of context, but unless it relates to a parent changing ad-hoc hours which have been booked in advance I'd say it isn't relevant

 If your child does not attend at the agreed upon times (e.g. if they are ill, on holiday, etc), you are still liable to pay for these unused hours.

 If you or I want to end this contract we must both give 4 weeks notice in writing and fees are fully payable upto and including the contract end date. I'd say this isn't really relevant either. If the ad-hoc contract allows the parent to use any amount of hours in a week with no minimum (assuming hours are pre-booked and prepaid), there is no point to a notice period on their part.

 If there is anything you are not happy with, please let me know immediately.

Please sign below to agree that you have read and understood this letter and the signed contract.

Most of the things you mentioned, rickysmiths, are in the actual contract so I don't really need to bring them up again, do I?

I think I would write them a policy all of their own as rickysmiths said. No harm in making things totally crystal clear for them. :D

miffy
16-06-2012, 08:14 PM
I wouldn't bother with a policy - I'd make sure the contract covered everything.

Miffy xx

loocyloo
16-06-2012, 08:15 PM
i would want non refundable payment in advance for all hours booked. ( only refunded if YOU are unable to care for child )

miffy
16-06-2012, 08:20 PM
i would want non refundable payment in advance for all hours booked. ( only refunded if YOU are unable to care for child )

I would do that too. TBH for between 3 and 6 hours care a week I might think it wasn't worth it!

Miffy xx

pinkellifun
16-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Ok, thanks for everyone's advice.

I've asked for a £50 deposit and then the fees are paid monthly in advance.

I'm giving them a notice period out of kindness (although not sure why I bother really but want to appear a bit professional at least!!!) as I know they will struggle to find a replacement as all other childminders in this area are full.

With regards to the change in hours, they mentioned that the husband may change shift patterns in the near future and thought that might be a good thing to mention???

I'm probably making mistakes as this is my first contract but as many other cms have mentioned on here, I think we all do that to begin with! :panic:

C&A Childcare
26-06-2012, 07:35 PM
At the moment, I just try to make it clear to parents wanting ad hoc care that I need some notice (usually 7 days is fine) and that if they cancel at the last minute, they still have to pay. I also state about only being able to accomodate ad hoc care when I have places available. At the moment, I haven't seen a need to use a written agreement like I would with regular mindees but I have drafted one out just in case.

The problem I have is that I work with my mum who disagrees with me about charging if a parent books the hours and then cancels but that's a different story!