PDA

View Full Version : stuck on whats acceptable

ai89
14-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Ive decided to change the hours I will be working to full time. Before I was planning on ONLY doing a term time service so I could have the holidays off with my baby girl however after working out finances I will not really be able to afford to do that (Im a single mum). I have someone wanting to use my care in February and she is a teacher so will need term time only. What should I do during the term? Should I charge a retainer fee (nurseries around me charge full wack even when child isnt in their care however I dont want to do that, I would rather charge a lower percentage/discount) or should I just not charge at all?

Im planning on charging morning, afternoon or full day rate and once I have more experience I will widen the range of my care will incorperate school runs. Below is roughly what I was thinking of charging however will be doing more market research before I completly decide. What do you suggest as experienced childminders on how Ive set out the fees covering the holidays?

Morning (includes lunch but not tea) 7:30 – 1 at £20
Afternoon (includes tea but not lunch) 1 – 5:30 at £15
Full Day at £35

For the 6 week holiday a single payment of £525 would cover the costs of 15days (meaning 3 weeks of the 6 week holiday)
For a 2 week holiday a payment of £87.50 would cover the cost of 5days (meaning 1 full week)
For a 1 week holiday a payment of £175 would cover the costs of 2 ½ days (meaning half a week)

The above is on the basis the child does full days.
Should I do the above or just not charge at all? I will still have my care open during the term if they need me. Im just really struggleing as to whats acceptable to do during the holidays. Any insight would be great.

mama2three
14-06-2012, 09:05 AM
Keep it simple - you dont need to quote prices for the holidays - just say half fee retainer applies.

My teachers prefer to pay the same amount each month so I work out charges for the full year and divide by 12.

I would possibly alter the changeover time to 12.30 so morning and aft sessions are the same length , so 730-1230 0r 1230-5.30 at half day rate ( maybe £18 depending on area?) or full day £35. Will be easier invoiving / accounting.

The Juggler
14-06-2012, 10:05 AM
i agree with mama keep it simple. What is the average local hourly rate. Just tell her that the hourly rate is £x/hour with 50% retainer for school holidays OR she can pay £x /hour with no retainer (make it an enhanced hourly rate that will bring you up to similar as a 50% retainer).

Then I would spread the 39 weeks fees into 11 equaly month instalments (Sept-July) and ferret a bit away each month to cover August:thumbsup: