PDA

View Full Version : PLAY IDEAS FOR 4 1/2 YEAR OLD BOYS

Beenletloose
13-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Please please i need some advice.
I have 3 x 4 and half year old boys.
I have completely run out of ideas on extending their play whilst we are at home.
It's ok when we go on outings, and i am also helping them with their writing and numbers, etc.
But it seems as if they have outgrown all my resources.
They enjoy their freeplay time which normally consists of playsets or action figures, with a bit of rough play.
But the usual music and dancing, messy play (except mud in the garden) puzzles, playdough, dressing up, shop play etc.,stories (sometimes talking books) board games is hard to get them to keep still.
I need action ideas for them to do ie. woodwork but do not have the resources for this and do not want to spend any more money at the moment, especially as they will be going to school in September. thanks

MAWI
13-06-2012, 09:19 AM
I have the same thing at the moment and went through it last year. It does feel as though they have outgrown you and sometimes they are just 'ready' to go to school. I'm sure you have done all you can.
I have a LO who I have explored all options with, so I now just ask him what he wants to do! And let him do that. His interest is ICT, so I just use it as much as possible in his day. He quite likes using the IPad for Things such as Toy Story and letters of the day (he does like ICT though )' so that's the first half hour of the day sorted!!!

What about channelling stands/ guttering in the garden? Mine love that. They can use them for water, cars, balls or quite often they spend ages just setting up their own systems. The 4.5 year old takes charge and spends ages ordering the stands/ guttering and in /out of the playroom finding different things to put down the tubes. I give him the tuff cam and he's away, taking photos and videos to his hearts content.
Good luck Hun, September will soon be here!!

md0u0131
13-06-2012, 09:25 AM
I have one 5yr old boy before and after school, he likes:
- imaginative play - loves dressing up and acting
- making up and performing songs
- den building
- computers
- making things from boxes
- writing letters and posting them
- running around and generally making noise outside :)

As I say I only have him before and after school though.

Beenletloose
13-06-2012, 09:47 AM
I have the same thing at the moment and went through it last year. It does feel as though they have outgrown you and sometimes they are just 'ready' to go to school. I'm sure you have done all you can.
I have a LO who I have explored all options with, so I now just ask him what he wants to do! And let him do that. His interest is ICT, so I just use it as much as possible in his day. He quite likes using the IPad for Things such as Toy Story and letters of the day (he does like ICT though )' so that's the first half hour of the day sorted!!!

What about channelling stands/ guttering in the garden? Mine love that. They can use them for water, cars, balls or quite often they spend ages just setting up their own systems. The 4.5 year old takes charge and spends ages ordering the stands/ guttering and in /out of the playroom finding different things to put down the tubes. I give him the tuff cam and he's away, taking photos and videos to his hearts content.
Good luck Hun, September will soon be here!!
Thanks i did try guttering last summer and they quite enjoyed it so will hunt some down again, can't remember where i put what ihad last year, did you already have some or did you buy it, thanks

Beenletloose
13-06-2012, 09:49 AM
I have one 5yr old boy before and after school, he likes:
- imaginative play - loves dressing up and acting
- making up and performing songs
- den building
- computers
- making things from boxes
- writing letters and posting them
- running around and generally making noise outside :)

As I say I only have him before and after school though.

Thanks i am looking forward to when they do go to school then i can just worry about after school, which can be more quiet activities as they will be worn out!!!!!!

MAWI
13-06-2012, 12:17 PM
I had an extension built last year and it was waste(not used) on the guttering, so I got the builder to cut it and smooth it so it was playable. I bought the stands from TTS, the small ones I think they were about £30 to £40. But I guess if your imaginative you could use boxes or crates or similar

VeggieSausage
13-06-2012, 12:20 PM
marbles?....difficult if there are younger ones there....I would say outside, outside, outside at every opportunity - trampoline, balls, football etc

junk modelling?

SandCastles
13-06-2012, 01:45 PM
I have 2 x 4 year olds who love to use ICT (they bring their own DS's and I have a Vtech Vsmile Learning system which plugs into the TV and also a Nintendo Wii) these are all timed activities. Also they bring their own DVD's so they can sit and watch at snack time. But outside is the best. I've deceided that the big trucks and cranes that are taking too much room in the playroom would go outside and stay outside this summer, so Ive made some room and the boys are playing outside on the same old toys but somehow they like them more.
Haven't tried guttering yet, but they do like getting wet and seem to love draining the bird bath into containers, then transferring to another container etc..
Some days the time whizzes by, other days seem to drag. Like you say in September I will only see them 2 hours.
I hope they will be tired after school, but something tells me they will be hyper cos so much has happened during the day they will still be buzzing.

Beenletloose
13-06-2012, 03:13 PM
I have 2 x 4 year olds who love to use ICT (they bring their own DS's and I have a Vtech Vsmile Learning system which plugs into the TV and also a Nintendo Wii) these are all timed activities. Also they bring their own DVD's so they can sit and watch at snack time. But outside is the best. I've deceided that the big trucks and cranes that are taking too much room in the playroom would go outside and stay outside this summer, so Ive made some room and the boys are playing outside on the same old toys but somehow they like them more.
Haven't tried guttering yet, but they do like getting wet and seem to love draining the bird bath into containers, then transferring to another container etc..
Some days the time whizzes by, other days seem to drag. Like you say in September I will only see them 2 hours.
I hope they will be tired after school, but something tells me they will be hyper cos so much has happened during the day they will still be buzzing.

Ha Ha yes your probably right, they will want to go crazy when they get here after a boring!!!!! day at school.

Bit worried about the console games (as parents dead against) but do allow some t.v. time and again they used to love CBeebies but now they want them horrible cartoons (not educational at all)

Beenletloose
13-06-2012, 03:14 PM
I had an extension built last year and it was waste(not used) on the guttering, so I got the builder to cut it and smooth it so it was playable. I bought the stands from TTS, the small ones I think they were about £30 to £40. But I guess if your imaginative you could use boxes or crates or similar

Thanks maybe i will go the the local Wickes and get some cheap guttering then and look out for some stands

bezi123
13-06-2012, 03:55 PM
I have my own 5 yr old boy all he's interested in is superheros and action figures which always ends up rough even when playing on his own! whatever figures he plays with will be fighting each other. Maybe a bucket of army men? Also will spend hrs on the trampoline.

Moira Mc
21-06-2012, 08:00 PM
I look after 4 x 5 year olds before and after school and it is hard, my husband has been setting up asault courses in the garden and they have been doing egg and spoon races etc... I also got the paddling pool out and put the slide in it, this kept them entertained for hours.

Today I did baking with them and that killed a bit of time.

Girls love drawing and colouring but boys are not that interested which makes winters very long.

VeggieSausage
18-07-2012, 08:55 AM
boys I look after love playmobile....

dette
18-07-2012, 09:04 AM
My own two youngest are nearly and just turned 5..they both love playdough sometimes with action figures.
They love bits of string and action figures.
Wet sand with cups and plates and pans..and action figures :)
Making dens from blankets and boxes and cushions
Duplo....with action figures:)
Boxes of animals and empty cardboard boxes to make a farm

Chimps Childminding
18-07-2012, 09:32 AM
I have a 5 year old and all he is really interested in is fighting :angry: he spends a lot of time with older children outside of being here. It doesn't seem to matter what I give him to play with it somehow ends up being a weapon! He doesn't like arty/crafty stuff and even when he had 2 (girl) schoolies to play with yesterday all he wanted to do was fight!! I am finding it very tiring and dreading the hols when he will be here 3 days a week.

Even playing with a football yesterday he kept kicking it really hard at everyone/everything!

At home he spends a lot of time on the wii, but tbh our wii is in my lounge, I don't have any suitable games for children (my sons are 19 and 21) and I don't really want him in there if I am honest!!

Going to have to find something for him to do or its going to be a REALLY long summer :eek:

Demonjill
18-07-2012, 09:49 AM
2 schoolies who I dread coming in hols 8-5 is such a long day with them!

So far they have been ok

Today they have played hours with Lego and sticklebricks. They have just got the magtex out which is fab and not even started with the new knex I got at the jack n Jill market.

1 of them really loves drawing,sticking,cutting colouring in etc but the other just says "nah" :laughing:

Tbh the best thing for them is having my DS to play with them as he keeps them in order:laughing: I really struggle if he's not there!:(