PDA

View Full Version : SO FEED UP OF CONFLICTING INFORMATION

Debster
12-06-2012, 05:35 PM
I had my local early years coordinator pay be a visit to do a pre inspection check we had a discussion about various things she then told me that my paperwork for existing injuries and for accidents should not include the words left or right or be assumptive about a injury for instance child arrives with a big bruise on his right side if his forehead should be noted as child x has a bruise like mark on forehead. Okay I get the not being assumptive about what the injury could be ie it may look like a burn but may be not but surely you have to note whether it was on the left or right arm leg etc so I said I did not agree . Anyway went on safeguarding course they told me I had to put left or right and said they would have words with the lady that came out a few days later I got her report in the post clarifying the importance of not using left or right. I have decided I am putting left or right to cover myself and if Ofsted have a problem then I will argue my case.
I was also told to on my safeguarding course to update my CRB with Ofsted because it was over 3 yrs old and the inspector will check on this!!!when I called Ofsted they refused saying any changes and they would be notified therefore there was no need to get it done so I took her name and a call ref and logged it in my folder.
what's your views left or right who is right

lozzy23
12-06-2012, 05:44 PM
I always write left or right. I also have a body diagram where you mark where the injury was, so that would indicate whether it was the right or left arm, leg, side of head etc. I have not heard anything about not writing left or right, so will be interested in other replies.

rickysmiths
12-06-2012, 06:34 PM
I would always record exactly where and how an injury had happened.

Ofsted won't renew a CRB !!! I haven't ever had one done by them because I was a childminder when Ofsted took over in 2001 and it was too expensive to CRB check all the existing childminders.

Penny1959
12-06-2012, 06:45 PM
If it is clear I write left or right when ever possible. Left arm or right leg I also use words like upper or lower. I an injury that I spot after parent gone to work I describe size,colour, if raised, broken skin and so on as much detail as possible I would also take a photo just of mark as it was when I spotted it because by the time parents arrive it may look different or child may get another Injury during day in same place.

With safeguarding board I am guessing was group setting based

Penny :)

Debster
12-06-2012, 06:48 PM
I always write left or right. I also have a body diagram where you mark where the injury was, so that would indicate whether it was the right or left arm, leg, side of head etc. I have not heard anything about not writing left or right, so will be interested in other replies.

I have been told on first aid course safeguarding and by my early years officer not to use the body maps because people get mixed up with left and right because of it being a mirror image. new paperwork provided from ncma should not have body map

Debster
12-06-2012, 06:50 PM
I would always record exactly where and how an injury had happened.

Ofsted won't renew a CRB !!! I haven't ever had one done by them because I was a childminder when Ofsted took over in 2001 and it was too expensive to CRB check all the existing childminders.

Really well I am surprised by that mine did get checked at my last inspection. I thought you have to have a least 1.

Pipsqueak
12-06-2012, 06:52 PM
I have been told on first aid course safeguarding and by my early years officer not to use the body maps because people get mixed up with left and right because of it being a mirror image. new paperwork provided from ncma should not have body map

do you know what - do what you feel is right and necessary, stick within the law and what is ACTUALLY required of you.

Some DO's pluck information about of their hairy bottoms, others pluck it out of someone elses bottom.
With regards to the safeguarding information - I would be more inclined to go along with their information but to be honest if its clear - child arrives with left arm in pot that is what I will write and indicate on the diagram!:rolleyes:

oh and the CRB thingy - yes its good practice to have a renewal every 3 years but asyou have found out from Ofsted.....:rolleyes: remember 'information from hairy bums'

this forum is ALL you need for up to date and propa information:D

sarah707
12-06-2012, 07:13 PM
As others have said...

Ofsted will not renew a CRB - many childminders do not have one!! They have been registered since before CRBs were introduced.

You need to note an injury as carefully as possible, giving as many details as you can, in case there is a query later or in the future.

Remember that children have until they are 21 years old to sue you for being careless enough to let them trip over and hurt themselves... so you have to record as much information as you can.

I have not been told by Ofsted or the Local Safeguarding people that we should not use body maps. I don't have a problem with my left or right - if childminders do then I am sure they have come up with ways to manage it.

Hth :D

loocyloo
12-06-2012, 08:16 PM
i use body maps, then i DON'T get confused as i'm not good with left & rights ;) but on a body map with eyes ... thats the front and quite simple to work out where to mark !!!

wellybelly
12-06-2012, 09:38 PM
I use left or right in my accident reports / existing injury reports. Ofsted told me to compare marks / cuts / bruises etc to the size of coins e.g 20p. Its different every time you talk to someone from a different perspective of early years. They alll think they know whats right!

miffy
12-06-2012, 10:17 PM
I always put left or right on accident reports and use body maps or head diagrams if I think it will help me show exactly where an injury was. At the end of the day if anyone decides to make a claim it will be against me not Ofsted, DO or anyone else so I will put as much detail as I can!

Miffy xx

jaswinder bedi
12-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Hi I have accident and incident book which you just put a little circle or dot on the diagram and write brief detail about the incident or accident on the same page for the record you would only put child's initial.

Jaswinder

cathtee
12-06-2012, 10:42 PM
I too like many other cm's don't have a CRB certificate as I am pre-ofsted. I did ring to check about not having one and was told that I do not need one as I was registered before they were brought out. I have noted this down with the mans name that told me this just to cover myself, and feel a lot easier now I have read other post saying the same :)

I always write down left or right and put a mark on the diagram, we need to make sure everything is documented in case there are any quieries concerning injuries.

rickysmiths
12-06-2012, 11:15 PM
As others have said...

Ofsted will not renew a CRB - many childminders do not have one!! They have been registered since before CRBs were introduced.

You need to note an injury as carefully as possible, giving as many details as you can, in case there is a query later or in the future.

Remember that children have until they are 21 years old to sue you for being careless enough to let them trip over and hurt themselves... so you have to record as much information as you can.

I have not been told by Ofsted or the Local Safeguarding people that we should not use body maps. I don't have a problem with my left or right - if childminders do then I am sure they have come up with ways to manage it.

Hth :D

No Sarah its not because CRBs hadn't been introduced, they had in 2001 when Ofsted took over the Registration and Inspection and doing them should have been part of the first transition inspections we had.

I had one at that time that had been done by the Scout Association (and I still have an up to date one from them! done again last year!)

It was purely and simply a cost issue when they took over and existing cms at that time were not CRB checked because there were too many of us. So if the SHTF ever it will be down to Ofsted to do the explaining won't it :rolleyes:

sarah707
13-06-2012, 06:46 AM
No Sarah its not because CRBs hadn't been introduced, they had in 2001 when Ofsted took over the Registration and Inspection and doing them should have been part of the first transition inspections we had.

I had one at that time that had been done by the Scout Association (and I still have an up to date one from them! done again last year!)

It was purely and simply a cost issue when they took over and existing cms at that time were not CRB checked because there were too many of us. So if the SHTF ever it will be down to Ofsted to do the explaining won't it :rolleyes:

When I registered in 1994 I had a police check - I was referring back to that.

I only got a CRB when dp's eldest needed one and they said they might as well do me at the same time :D

Bridey
13-06-2012, 07:19 AM
I don't have a CRB. When I rang Ofsted to query if I could get one I was told that my certificate of registration was proof of my suitability to be a registered childminder. I asked how they would know if I had done anything naughty in the last 12 years and they said they rely on the police ... OR MY NEIGHBOURS!!!! ... to tell them :eek:

I think you are doing the correct thing using left and right when referring to injuries. I agree with Pipsqueak - over the years I have read about some ridiculous and incorrect comments and rules that DO's have tried to inflict on new childminders. I never had a DO and I followed the rules and regulations set by the official channels, not someone with a hairy bottom! ;)