PDA

View Full Version : REMEMBER THOSE HAZY LAZY DAYS OF SUMMER

angeldelight
08-06-2012, 07:23 AM
They seem a long time ago now but the sun always seemed to be out and we had lots and lots of sunny days not just a few here and there

The 10 year old who I mind said he thinks that summer must have been boring years ago because we had no computers etc ........... :eek:

So here you go, tell me what did you used to do when you were a child on sunny days.... how did you keep busy and how did your parents entertain you ... or did you entertain yourselves .....

The days seemed longer, warmer, we stayed out later , we were never bored... the list goes on

Those were the days hey

So what did you enjoy the most?

Angel xx

funemnx
08-06-2012, 07:38 AM
I'm one of 5 children so there was always someone to play with, I remember (showing my age now) NO daytime telly :eek: we went off on our bikes and came home when we were hungry. I remember my mums clothes horse being used in the garden, we made a den with blankets and pegs. Swimming in the river (Thames) in all our clothes - my poor mum, she never knew what state we'd come home in and never seemed to mind whatever small animals and creatures we decided to adopt even when we bought a mouse home that we'd found in the wheat field opposite our house - it 'escaped' by the next morning :D

Roseolivia
08-06-2012, 08:01 AM
This was the time when it was safe to play out on your own without adults around. We used to go to the local park, play around the block with other kids, play in the wendy house (not a wooden one like now, the one where you had to put the poles together), have cheese spread sandwiches in the wendy house, put on plays, play in the mud and compost heap.

Oh those were the days. I think now children don't have enough freedom like we did years ago and it's sad.

clareelizabeth1
08-06-2012, 08:06 AM
I am one of four so we were always entertained. The things I remember most are the things we got in the most trouble for. Like the time we built a swing which hung off the top off the banaster in the attic bed room and swung all down the hallway and in to the kitchen. Parents came home to three of their children on the swing, swinging very quickly in to them. I can also remember tying all the bed sheets together like in the movies and absailing down the side of the house (for those of you that are interested it results in a trip to the hospital both times we did it).

More tame ones were street hockey, lots of cooking (single mum so we were in charge of cooking meals as mum was at work), built fires, dens, climbed trees and made tree houses, we didn't have many actual toys do a lot of it we made up as we went along. We also lived on a quiet road so could play in the street.

loocyloo
08-06-2012, 08:14 AM
i don't remember :blush: we used to go away in the caravan alot and then i think i just played out!

Toothfairy
08-06-2012, 09:04 AM
We had no mobile phones when I was young. We used to go out in the morning and not come back til tea time and my parents only have our word for where we were going to be and who with.

We used to;
Go swimming
Go to the reck
Play in the woods
Go on bike rides
Run errands for our parents/Grandparents
Play Hop scotch
Play French Skipping with elastic
Play double dutch skipping
Play in the garden
Read or draw
Play cards or board games
Make perfume from water and rose petals
Have our own jumble sale in the front garden selling our old toys/books/games etc to neighbours and passers by.

We used to make our own entertainment and I can't remember being board.

angeldelight
08-06-2012, 07:41 PM
We had no mobile phones when I was young. We used to go out in the morning and not come back til tea time and my parents only have our word for where we were going to be and who with.

We used to;
Go swimming
Go to the reck
Play in the woods
Go on bike rides
Play Hop scotch
Play in the garden
Read or draw
Have our own jumble sale in the front garden selling our old toys/books/games etc to neighbours and passers by.

I remember most of those :laughing:

Angel xx

mushpea
08-06-2012, 08:46 PM
I remember go for bike rides through the local woods, just wandering an going home when ready,
I was an only child so used to go and knock for friends a lot and we would either chill at each others or go to the woods or the wreck.

My mum would take me for some lovley days out and I remember playing board games a lot at the weekend plus going camping quite a bit.

these days my kids stay in all day, my daughter wont go out because of the horrible kids on the estate that bully her at school which is very sad and my son hasnt requested going out alone yet but I am not keen due to his adhd but the time will come when i will have to let go i guess.

PixiePetal
08-06-2012, 08:48 PM
go out on our bikes for the day - maybe coming home when we were hungry at lunchtime and going out again but had to be in before dark

to the beach, we had a beach hut but not allowed in there alone or swimming without adult but played on the grassy 'cliffs' behind the huts

Making camps in the woods

to the park - long, high slide/dangerous roundabout and other dangers we 'RA' ourselves - or got a swing in the face :rolleyes:

used dads dustsheets to make tents in the garden - over the long washing line

round to friends houses alone - on my bike from when I was 9/10 yrs old

colouring

played schools with my siblings

birdwatched from my playhouse/shed - still an avid garden bird watcher :) from my dining room:thumbsup:

summer hols were long and mostly hot as we went to the beach every weekend for full days as a family to our hut - loved it but hated sand in my cossie! still hate sand stuck to me, we had the luxury of the hut, mum boiled water on the gas stove so we could wash sand off with a bowl of warm water :D followed by talk before dressing

nikki thomson
08-06-2012, 09:03 PM
I have such happy childhood memories, when I was 8 I was allowed out and I grew up in the seventies/eighties, my mum would pack a lunch for me in the summer hols and me and a group of friends would go off on our bikes for the day into the countryside exploring and having fun, had to be back by dusk which I always was.
We got up to all sorts but I couldn't imagine letting my own 8yr old ds doing that. X

VeggieSausage
04-07-2012, 04:34 PM

We used to;
Go swimming
Go to the reck
Play in the woods
Go on bike rides
Play Hop scotch
Play in the garden
Read or draw

you must e a similar age to me!