PDA

View Full Version : Unison union - potential help....

georgie456
28-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Hello!

One of my parents works for the police force as a civilian and is up in arms about deregulation! She is going to a Unison meeting this week and has asked me to email all information to her to raise there. She said that we provide a public service so there is no reason why a union such as this wouldn't get behind the campaign.

As she rightly stated, a large number of people employed by the police service use childminders due to the flexibility they offer and she is appalled at the potential safeguarding issues that deregulation raises.

Fingers crossed she can get us a good result!!!

sarah707
28-05-2012, 05:08 PM
That would be brilliant! :clapping:

I wonder if they will help us as we are not unionised though... looking forward to hearing how it goes :D

Stormy
28-05-2012, 05:42 PM
My neighbour works for Unison I may pop over tonight to pick her brains

watgem
28-05-2012, 05:54 PM
I think childminders can join unison, perhaps we join on mass:)

Penny1959
28-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Would be great if they can do something - even if just putting the link on their website or newsletter

Penny :)

uf353432
28-05-2012, 05:57 PM
I had a similar conversation with my policewoman mum who collected tonight - she was intent on spreading the word around her force as well - though I suspect not Unison.

We value support from where ever we can get it - and its lovely to hear passion from parents as well as childminders

SYLVIA
28-05-2012, 06:28 PM
I had a potential new mindee come on Saturday. The mum said she had been to see another childminder who was clearly doing it on the cheap (her expression, not mine) and her husband who is in the police said not to use her because of safe guarding issues. I was telling her about the new proposals and she wasn't happy at all. I directed her to the forum for more info. Parents will def be concerned about safety

debratina
28-05-2012, 06:36 PM
i wonder how much it would be to join a union?

georgie456
28-05-2012, 06:44 PM
She seemed to be under the impression that we are able to join, but also thought they would jump at the chance to get on board with this cause - simply down to the fact that this has the potential to affect so many of their members. I'll let you know what she says. I've emailed everything I can think of over to her.

zippy
28-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Wow that's ace, well done, few more parents like that please

zippy
28-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Is there any parent forums we could get this on, working mums sites etc, I know they'd all like cheaper childcare but nobody wants cheap at a cost if quality, maybe we need to get our side over before they get convinced by the other side.

georgie456
28-05-2012, 09:26 PM
One of my other mums made me smile today. She said she would give her mum the details as she works in a nursing home and "all the old people in there will sign anything"

I think her intentions were good but it sounded SO wrong!!!!!!