PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone ever feel like me

Debster
28-05-2012, 10:20 AM
I have my inspection due next month so have been doing this for 3 yrs now I never intended to be a childminder long term just until my Lo started school and she did that 2 yrs ago now but I feel stuck in a rut. I enjoy being with the children but I am starting want my house back I want to throw out the double and single pushchairs and toys that I only have for business. I sometimes feel like a slave to children (can I have this can I have that) sorry to sound like I am moaning on:blush: getting itchy feet. All of my mindees are going in September I just have one before and after school so I am thinking it may be time to move on.There is a job coming up in the nursery so it means I can be with my kids in school hols alone( because they get annoyed my attention is elsewhere sometimes) but its only just over min wage but that's a income all yr and I cannot guarantee work from September anyway! in a dilemma
If I do go to work at the nursery can I keep registered as a childminder to fall back on in the first few months because I don't want to have to do it all again.
I do want top get into teaching and thought being at the nursery I could do a degree not sure what I need to do .
Having a midlife crisis:panic:

samb
28-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Ah bless you. If you are feeling like this then yes maybe it is time for a new direction. Yes you can keep open your registration if you apy your yearly Ofsted registration and insurance and keep up to date with First Aid and safeguarding. However if you have no children on role when they try to inspect you I believe you will be deregistered and then not allowed to register again. Could you keep on the before and after school mindee as well as do the nursery work - for more money and to keep your toe in childminding?

Hope you get something sorted it must be very difficult feeling in limbo. Oh and yes sometimes I would love to just put all the "baby" toys and ept on ebay and have my home more suited to my children (both will be at school by September).

Goatgirl
28-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Hi,

I do often feel like you, but then I generally swing back round to loving it again, so I try not to be too impulsive. I'm in a different position though as I have grown up children and can understand how you want to be able to spend holidays exclusively with your own children.

maybe you could write a list of pros and cons for each way to go and that might make it clearer for you.. as well as look at the pros of going out to work and seeing if there's a way to incorporate that into minding? maybe you could work term time only?

You can keep your registration open and you will not be taken off the register for at least 3 years unless you ask to be. When inspectors ring to inspect you just explain you have no children on roll and they will ask you to contact them when/if you do.

You don't need to have insurance in place unless you are caring for children, so you can let that lapse and get it pretty much instantly (when I first got mine there was an option to backdate it too). Its unlikely you would get an enquiry for an instant start and be able to accommodate that anyway.

You will need to pay your reg fee to ofsted though :thumbsup:

I would say if you still feel this strongly about it after a little while, apply for the job, keep your reg/options open just in case you change your mind and see what happens! :) Good luck whatever you decide :thumbsup:

best wishes,
Wendy :)

Rubybubbles
28-05-2012, 11:46 AM
been there, got the room leader job:laughing:

And now back to childminding!!

flowerpots
28-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Aaaaw, I was feeling like this a few weeks ago (my d has started school and my dd is starting sept), but I weighed up the pro's and con's and decided i love childminding i am just doing too many hours so in 3 weeks time i will no longer be working fridays. So in school hols i will have that day for special days out with just my family and when the children are at school i get that day to myself. Maybe you could go 'part time'?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

xx

p.s. I dont think you can let your insurance go, if you want to stay registered you must keep insurance even if no children on roll. x