PDA

View Full Version : Gallstones

jelly15
28-05-2012, 06:51 AM
Any advice on coping with gallstone attacks? Was rushed to A&E on Saturday and given strong painkillers. Off to GP this morning to ask to be refered for a scan and to see a consultant.

md0u0131
28-05-2012, 06:58 AM
ouch :(

Never had them but they sound painful, keep taking those painkillers, can you try something stronger - codeine based?

pinkrabbit
28-05-2012, 07:23 AM
I have them. Avoid foods that are high fat. I had a scan and hospital were supposed to get back to me but never did.

sarahjane
28-05-2012, 08:33 AM
Owww very painful, avoid all high fat food as this will aggravate the problem. Hopefully the GP will be on the ball and get things moving quickly re scan and referral x

Twinkles
28-05-2012, 08:38 AM
They are painful. Had my gall bladder removed a few years ago.

Avoid food with any fat not just high fat.

No milk or dairy or meat.

It is one of the most painful experiences and only morphine shots from casualty took the pain away for me so the only way to cope was to have absolutely no fat.

Bonus; I lost 3 stone in 3 months !

( put it all back on after the op though :-(

jelly15
28-05-2012, 08:43 AM

It is one of the most painful experiences and only morphine shots from casualty took the pain away for me so the only way to cope was to have absolutely no fat.

Please can you tell me what you ate? I am living on bananas.

mummyme
28-05-2012, 09:14 AM
I had that a few years ago and it is the worse pain I have ever had (even childbirth - seriously)! I controlled it by eating everything low fat (but I guess no fat would be even better). I followed the Rosemary Conley diet which I was used too and ate everything that is less thant 5% fat and that really worked for me. Once I was on this diet though, my body got so used to it, that if I did cheat I could guarantee an attack that night, but it would only be mild.

I wish you well. Have your gall bladder out if that is offered to you. Its not too bad an op and is done by keyhole surgery. Once the gall bladder is gone, you will be pain free and able to eat again!

:):):)

Twinkles
28-05-2012, 09:16 AM
You can eat any fruit or veg. You can eat rice.

Have a look online for vegan food/recipes they will help.

You could try plain pasta but be careful and you could try an egg.

ooo look just found this !

http://www.gallbladderattack.com/gallbladderdiet.shtml

Toothfairy
28-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Gallbladder pain is the most awful pain EVER!!! It even tops childbirth.

As others have said, keep off all fatty foods.
The food that bought on the most attacks for me were Peppers!

Hope you get sorted soon :(

jelly15
30-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Three hours after my last post I collapsed in agony on the bathroon floor. DH called GP who said to call an ambulance. Had gas and air in ambulance followed by morphine IV. Was on a drip for medication and diagnosed with severe gastritis (inflamation of the stomach lining). Sent home with several differnt medications at 11pm. The pain has gone but the meds are making me sick and giddy :(. Shut now until after the bank hols when my meds should be finished and I should be back to full health. Too fightened to eat much so shouls help the diet.

pinkrabbit
30-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Hope you feel better soon.

Bridey
30-05-2012, 07:06 PM
You poor thing, get well soon x

Cammie Doodle
30-05-2012, 08:55 PM

Snap, lost loads, but ita ALL back on :( (mind you no pain, Thank God)
I lived on Cooked Chicken Breast (sliced packet kind ) Potatoes and cod in butter sauce (boil in the bag type, just shows there obviously was no butter in the sauce as I never had a pain when I ate it)
Friend had her gallbladder out a few weeks ago and on her wish list was a cheese fest lol, bless her

Winnie
30-05-2012, 09:07 PM
Please can you tell me what you ate? I am living on bananas.

Plain rice (microwave bags)
tin tuna
low fat chicken (white meat only)
low fat alpen bars
ww zero fat yogurts
skimmed milk
vegetables, raw or boiled
fruit, raw or stewed
plain boiled potatoes

limit yourself to one banana a day- more is not good for you
drink plenty of water