PDA

View Full Version : More lobbying for the anti-deregulation campaign

sarah707
27-05-2012, 02:25 PM
I have just sent the following email to childcare.co.uk, Morton Michel and Noble Minder...

Hi
As I am sure you have been informed by other members, the status of childminders appears to be under threat at the moment from sections of government who think it is a good idea to make sweeping changes to the ways we operate our businesses.
These changes might include future deregulation from Ofsted control, taking away our right to individual inspections, having us managed by agencies (which could possibly be our competition eg local nurseries), removing our self employed status, having our incomes decided by others who might force us to work for less money than previously, allowing higher ratios (which would surely be a safeguarding concern) and much more.
We also risk losing the status of equals to nurseries and pre-schools that many of us have spent decades fighting to promote through better training, complying with the EYFS, welcoming Ofsted regulation and inspections etc.
There are a number of campaigns currently being promoted across the early years sector to protect childminder businesses and long term sustainability including a petition here -
http://www.change.org/petitions/uk-government-reject-proposals-to-deregulate-childminders which is receiving global support.

I would like to ask how your company feels it can get involved to support childminders through this difficult time.
Maybe support could be offered via an advertising campaign to inform members of the situation, emails informing members of the potential ramifications of deregulation so they can make up their own minds, promotion of the petition website address to members, newsletter or blog coverage etc.
Would you, as an organisation which has thousands of childminder members, be willing to speak to MPs at government level and lobby on behalf of those childminders who are concerned about losing their regulatory status?
Any other ideas you have for supporting the campaign would be very welcome.

Thank you, etc

I will let you know when I receive replies. I hope they are positive and supportive :clapping:

If anyone has any ideas of other companies I might approach now it is written please let me know :D

loocyloo
27-05-2012, 02:33 PM
i emailed richard at childcare.co.uk yesterday ( or friday ) and he is going to put it on the 'news' page soon ....

Penny1959
27-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Thanks Sarah

Great letter

And thanks loocyloo

I was wondering about companies that employ shift workers - as their staff may use childminders - even if only for the anti social hourse.

Therefore this could have a big impact on them as a company and on those working for them.

Also of course the emergency services and hospitals

Penny :)

Rubybubbles
27-05-2012, 03:01 PM
I asked essential childminder at the end of the week who have now adde dit to their page:thumbsup:

uf353432
27-05-2012, 03:08 PM
I asked essential childminder at the end of the week who have now adde dit to their page:thumbsup:

indeed they have

http://essentialchildminder.com/

well done you!

Maria Pia
27-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Great letter Sarah! I have sent a copy of it to a company that does a system similar to Noble Minder, so that they can promote the campaign to their members.

Maria xx

sarah707
27-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Richard at childcare.co.uk has given us a very positive reply. He says...

We have already put something on our childminders facebook page about this at www.facebook/childminders and will add something to the childminders news page on our website also.

Thank you childcare.co.uk for your support! :clapping:

Helcatt
27-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Great letter Sarah! I have sent a copy of it to a company that does a system similar to Noble Minder, so that they can promote the campaign to their members.

Maria xx

I was just thinking to do the same thing - to the ones who can not be named

Hx

Richard
27-05-2012, 06:30 PM
We've put a link to the petition on our childminders news page which is shown to all our 30,000 childminder members when they login and also on our childminders facebook page at www.facebook.com/childminders

Richard

Mouse
27-05-2012, 06:34 PM
We've put a link to the petition on our childminders news page which is shown to all our 30,000 childminder members when they login and also on our childminders facebook page at www.facebook.com/childminders

Richard

:clapping::clapping:

uf353432
27-05-2012, 07:02 PM

Richard

Thank you Richard

Bushpig
27-05-2012, 07:59 PM

Richard

Thank you!!! :clapping::clapping:

Pauline
27-05-2012, 08:34 PM
I spoke to Richard the other day and he was going to sort something out for us. :thumbsup:

uf353432
27-05-2012, 08:36 PM
I emailed Who Minds today - I wonder if they will respond? :laughing:

miffy
27-05-2012, 09:56 PM
I emailed Who Minds today - I wonder if they will respond? :laughing:

I checked their website today and couldn't find any mention of your campaign so if you don't get a positive response then I think all NCMA members should email them and ask that they put something on their website.

Miffy xx

miffy
27-05-2012, 09:57 PM

Richard

That's great, thank you

Miffy xx

debratina
28-05-2012, 04:55 AM
hi
is there a link where ncma members can bombard ncma with this petition ?

miffy
28-05-2012, 06:52 AM
hi
is there a link where ncma members can bombard ncma with this petition ?

Not that I know of but maybe Debbie could say who she wrote to and then we could all do the same :D

Miffy xx

Carol M
28-05-2012, 06:53 AM
I was talking to my neighbour about this. She is an Area People Manager for ASDA. She is going to take flyers round her stores and spread the word as alot of her staff use childminders and she knows how important my business is to me!
Carol xx

uf353432
28-05-2012, 07:13 AM
Not that I know of but maybe Debbie could say who she wrote to and then we could all do the same :D

Miffy xx

Well I suggest we all bombard Tim Farrow

tim.farrow@*************

uf353432
28-05-2012, 07:13 AM
I was talking to my neighbour about this. She is an Area People Manager for ASDA. She is going to take flyers round her stores and spread the word as alot of her staff use childminders and she knows how important my business is to me!
Carol xx

brilliant news - well done you

Penny1959
28-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Well I suggest we all bombard Tim Farrow

tim.farrow@*************

And what about the infomation line
info@*************-

Just ask the question - Will NCMA be supporting the E petition and put the link.

As far as I know anyone can email using that email address - you do not need to be a member.

Penny

Penny1959
28-05-2012, 08:10 AM
A big thank you to Carol and her neighbour for the Asda connection

Thank you very much to Childcare.co.uk

And thank you to everyone on the forum for all your efforts - if you are just reading this - because not been on forum for awhile - please help us spread the new about the petition

Katiekoo
28-05-2012, 01:28 PM
I have just emailed my MP - David Cameron, he responded with a letter when I emailed him a few years ago when facing redundancy while on maternity leave, I hope to get the same now, although somehow I doubt it!

Maria Pia
28-05-2012, 06:15 PM
I have now emailed Scott Milk (Milkforfree) and they said that they will support us and promote the petition.

I have also emailed my NCMA support co-ordinator to see if they are aware of the petition, I will keep you posted on the reply.

NCMA have their own lobbying campaign going

http://www.*************/news_and_events/news/may_2012_news/iim_campaign_update.aspx

and they have received some national coverage (e.g. the Guardian, radio 4) and trade coverage (e.g. Nursery World). I have also asked if they have any templates for involving the local press. I will let you know!

Maria xx

sarah707
28-05-2012, 06:16 PM
I have had a very supportive reply to my email from one of the directors of Morton Michel insurance company :clapping:

We have several concerns about what is being mooted and will be raising these with Liz Truss shortly.

Obviously, we are not a trade association, so we can’t presume to speak on behalf of our policyholders on this matter, who may hold a wide variety of views on the subjects being discussed. But we will certainly be publicising the plans in our next newsletter and inviting comment from our childminders.

teacake2
13-06-2012, 10:47 AM
I have just been looking at de-regulation and found that on the 11th and 12th of June an Early Day Motion no 165 was tabled in Parliament, I don't know how to do the link sorry, Primary sponser Alan Meale, sponsors, Martin Caton, Jeremy Carbin, Jim Dobbin, Glenda Jackson Jim Shannon and an extra bit by Dennis Skinner stating that they do not agree with de-regulation and their reasons why. There is no guarantee that the motion will be listened to but at least it shows that some politicians are on our side and it might be worth while contacting them.
Teacake2

uf353432
13-06-2012, 11:17 AM
oh that is interesting.

I would be interested in that link though - can you email it to me? PM me for my email addy and i'll take a look

Thanks debs

Smiley
13-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Yes that is interesting, here is the link
http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/business-papers/commons/early-day-motions/edm-detail1/?session=2012-13&edmnumber=165&orderby=Name&orderdirection=Desc