PDA

View Full Version : Help with self assessment !!!!

Britt
27-05-2012, 01:15 PM
I received paperwork couple of weeks ago and still have couple sections i am stuck on if anyone could help?
I feel like I'm repeating myself throughout this document it's driving me crazy!!
Please help with diligence and compliance, and ambience at atmosphere. I would appreciate any pointers you could give me as it's my first inspection and I'm feeling lost :(

moogster1a
28-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Don't bother doing it.
maje up your own under headings such as " how I keep children safe" and a line or 2 in each section at the bottom of how you can improve.
Ive never done the official one and have always got good at inspection. last time the inspector said my own SEF was far clearer than the OFSTED one. It's about 2 sides of A4. Should take you about an hour I guess.
I now know lots of CM's who don't do it as it's ridiculously repetitive and large parts of it are irrelevant. as long as you show some form of self relection, that's all you need.

tulip0803
28-05-2012, 05:19 PM
I received paperwork couple of weeks ago and still have couple sections i am stuck on if anyone could help?
I feel like I'm repeating myself throughout this document it's driving me crazy!!
Please help with diligence and compliance, and ambience at atmosphere. I would appreciate any pointers you could give me as it's my first inspection and I'm feeling lost :(

Britt is in Wales and is under CSSIW so it is different form OFSTED. I didn't want to read and run & will look up mine in a bit to let you know what I did. Don't panic though.

manjay
28-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Don't bother doing it.
maje up your own under headings such as " how I keep children safe" and a line or 2 in each section at the bottom of how you can improve.
Ive never done the official one and have always got good at inspection. last time the inspector said my own SEF was far clearer than the OFSTED one. It's about 2 sides of A4. Should take you about an hour I guess.
I now know lots of CM's who don't do it as it's ridiculously repetitive and large parts of it are irrelevant. as long as you show some form of self relection, that's all you need.

Tulip is right! It is a legal requirement to complete the self assessment of service so not one you can get away from I'm afraid.

Diligence and compliance - (mine is quite short on this one as most has been covered elsewhere)
How confident are you that you keep up to date with changes to minimum standards and legislation? Where do you get this information from? Being a member on here or other social media, subscriptions to childcare journals, networking with other childminders etc
How do you check that you comply with the NMS? Do you just comply or do you exceed these?
Do you have a robust complaints procedure? Is it explained in detail to parents? Would they know exactly what to do to make a complaint?
How diligent are you in your day to day running of your business? Do you have sound recording procedures? eg childminder journal, attendance records, accident & incident logs

Ambience or atmosphere -(this was quite a long one for me but I have made lots of changes to my decor after research and study so I was able to write about this here)
Explain your setting and the general ambience you are trying to create. is it working? How do you know this? I can tell this from my observations of the children.

Hope some of those provide some inspiration:D

tulip0803
28-05-2012, 06:50 PM
:thumbsup:What Manjay says:D

Can't put it any better!

Britt
29-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Thank u so much for your help x

moogster1a
29-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Sorry, didn't know you were in Wales

cornetjo
31-05-2012, 09:06 AM
My network co-ordinator said they should send out guidelines with the form, to help you complete it, but they haven't been doing so. She advised I look on the CSSIW website, and I found the guidelines, here:

http://wales.gov.uk/cssiwsubsite/newcssiw/aboutus/providingsocialcare/pdcforms/childrensdaycare/childmind/?lang=en

Click on the last document (Word). It has been a great help in filling out my form this morning.

webbthomas
31-05-2012, 03:13 PM
My network co-ordinator said they should send out guidelines with the form, to help you complete it, but they haven't been doing so. She advised I look on the CSSIW website, and I found the guidelines, here:

http://wales.gov.uk/cssiwsubsite/newcssiw/aboutus/providingsocialcare/pdcforms/childrensdaycare/childmind/?lang=en

Click on the last document (Word). It has been a great help in filling out my form this morning.

This really helpful :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Thanks for pointing us in the right direction here! :)

RuthJ
20-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Thanks so much for that helpful link:)

Hope you managed to complete yours, Britt. I think we were on the same ICP course. Hope all's going well for you.