PDA

View Full Version : 9 st at 7, now 63st!!!!

EmmaReed84
25-05-2012, 05:44 AM
How? :eek: I mean seriously, how on earth can anyone get that big? Surely at the age of 7 being 9st there would have been other professionals see this! How did someone not come and step in!!

Now this might get me hated across this forum but I cannot stand people who allow thmselves to get this big, I think it is unfair and a complete waste of our NHS resources when there are babys dieing through no fault of their own... however in this case I do sort of feel a bit sorry for this girl.

She lost all the weight, went home and got so massive they had to smash the walls to get her out... Who the heck did this, there is no way she could have done that to herself, I just can't believe it... 13,000 calories A DAY!

Why has this been allowed to happen, why did SS not step in earlier... surely this is like abuse...Why did her parents not get the help she needed... I just can't believe some parents.

This angers me so much especially as yesterday while waiting to collect mindee from school I was stood next to a larger lady... I mean very large, her daughter came out who must be about 4-5 (reception class) and she was really big as well. She said to her mum she needed to bring fruit in the class tomorrow for snack, and her mum huffed saying, "I don't have fruit, you will have to take crisps instead!" :eek:

jumpinjen
25-05-2012, 06:06 AM
There have been cases of children being removed from parents into care due to poor diet leading to obesity - think it was classed as a neglect issue....

onceinabluemoon
25-05-2012, 06:16 AM
How? :eek: I mean seriously, how on earth can anyone get that big? Surely at the age of 7 being 9st there would have been other professionals see this! How did someone not come and step in!!

Now this might get me hated across this forum but I cannot stand people who allow thmselves to get this big, I think it is unfair and a complete waste of our NHS resources when there are babys dieing through no fault of their own... however in this case I do sort of feel a bit sorry for this girl.

She lost all the weight, went home and got so massive they had to smash the walls to get her out... Who the heck did this, there is no way she could have done that to herself, I just can't believe it... 13,000 calories A DAY!

Why has this been allowed to happen, why did SS not step in earlier... surely this is like abuse...Why did her parents not get the help she needed... I just can't believe some parents.

This angers me so much especially as yesterday while waiting to collect mindee from school I was stood next to a larger lady... I mean very large, her daughter came out who must be about 4-5 (reception class) and she was really big as well. She said to her mum she needed to bring fruit in the class tomorrow for snack, and her mum huffed saying, "I don't have fruit, you will have to take crisps instead!" :eek:

What an incredibly judgemental and offensive comment!!! :panic:

Tink
25-05-2012, 06:29 AM

I suppose you have never had a child or know someone with a problem then!!!!

I looked after a child with Prada-Willi Syndrome - Children with PWS eat an excessive amount of food, much more than the body needs to meet its energy requirements.

A child will start to overeat between the ages of one and four. By the time they reach school age, they may start to hide or steal food, steal money to buy food and even eat inappropriate things, such as food waste or frozen food.

Children with PWS also have a slow metabolism, which means it takes them longer to burn off energy from food. They are also usually less physically active than children without the condition, which also increases their risk of becoming obese.

The child I looked after was 4 times the size of a child her age and she is continuing to get bigger, this is such a worry for her parents as they know she will get bigger as she cannot exercise like we can.

So the next time you want to make a comment I think you might just want to think yourself lucky:angry:

EmmaReed84
25-05-2012, 06:34 AM

It is not that I can't stand the "person" but I have seen and heard so many times people who get to a stage where they can can't walk, are on benefits because they can't work, all because of their size. Then they rely on the government and our hard earned cash and nhs funding because they "can't" lose weight.

A women who lived near me had a gastric band fitted because she claimed she could not lose weight and she tried... After much controversy she got the op, she had thousands, upon thousands of £££'s spend on her getting this op having a specially made bed just for her! Guess what, after the op she carried on eating over eating and died... Now that money that got wasted could have been spent on neo-natal wards, childrens ward, they don't ask to be ill, they really can't help it

These people who get over weight to the point they can't do anything by themselves IMO should not be allowed NHS funding. No one is born fat

I get that there are circumstances in which people cannot help it, like being 9st at aged 7 but then SS should have done something then! I did say I actually feel sorry for that girl

I used to work in a mobile phone and deaf guy came in with his deaf daughter, he was a quite high up in a company and needed his phone for text and email, he was lovely, very polite. Told me about himself and his daughter and said why should I be "disabled" I am as able as anyone else... That man will have my utmost respect forever!

Then later that day an incrediblt large lady and again I don't mean just slighty over weight I mean very large, needed a scooter, she came in she could not walk from her scooter to the chair without huffing and puffing, she was rude and felt the workd owed her a living. I did her contract and had to ask her questions and when I asked employment status she snarled and said "I am on benefits, I can't work. You better not decline me. Benefits is better money than a job and you always know you will get it, not like a job when you can get fired at any time" she ended up declining and said that I was all the names under the sun. I am an incredibly professional person and would never in a million years let my own personal feeling get in the way of my work, I was very pleasant and polite and she was rude, arrognant and even snarled that why should she even try to get a job!

Perhaps my comment was offensive, I apologise if it did cause offense but that is my personal opinion. And I am not talking about slightly weighty people, or even very over weight people who still live a normal live... I am talking about the people who do it to themselves and expect the NHS to fix it

Bridey
25-05-2012, 06:36 AM

We all judge others one way or another, whether we like to admit it or not!

mama2three
25-05-2012, 06:36 AM
OIABM there are of course people for whom obesity is part of a bigger picture. But there are also as many for whom they simply overeat. They have bad habits which get passed on to their children . It infuiates me that parents do this to their children. My OH is large , and has been very large. he is much more vehement than I am about our childrens diets - he simply doesnt want them to feel as bad as he has about their bodies.
OP said she hates when people 'allow themselves' to get this big , not those for whom it is a constant fight with pws or similar.

jelly15
25-05-2012, 07:43 AM
There is so much help for people with eating disorders such as anarexioa and bulimia but very little for overeater. You may say that there is weight watchers, slimming world etc which do work for many but some people have psycological problmes with food that have the opposite results to anarexioa and bulimia.

barbarella68
25-05-2012, 08:40 AM
It is an addiction just like drinking and smoking.These people need help. I would like to know if the people making judgements on over weight people, smoke or drink because it is the same.

Pipsqueak
25-05-2012, 09:26 AM
my mum - due to her health problems has ballooned in weight. She is only little 5ft3 and her weight in relation to this is shocking.
however she cannot help it at all

i would hate for someone to be so judgemental about her - actually I probably would rip them a new one!

yes this lass is morbidly obese, however someone is feeding her and has been 'encouraging' this weight since an early age:eek:

EmmaReed84
25-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Can I just stress... I am not talking about people with health issues... or this girl actually... she should have been taking away and cared for properly... if her parents were starving her then she would have been taken out that situation... in my eyes what she is going through is no different, it is still abuse, someone is doing this to her... I get that... I just can't believe no one has been able to do anything about it. Again if this was a different form of abuse SS would be all over it.

The people I am talking about that really get to me, are the lazy fat people who just can't be bothered, they eat and eat use it as an excuse then say they are too big to work, think the world owes them a living and expect government hand outs... the people who do it to themselves... not people who has medical conditions.

There was a guy years ago who was huge, he was one of the biggest men in britain I think and I remember correctly This Morning did a piece on him because he lost the weight HIMSELF... No help, sheer hard work and determination. He said it was hard but worth it to live a "full" life! So it can be done.

Also to add yes I used to smoke.. and quit when I found out I was pregnant 7 years ago and have not touched one since and as for drink I can take it or leave it.

Pipsqueak
25-05-2012, 11:21 AM
The people I am talking about that really get to me, are the lazy fat people who just can't be bothered, they eat and eat use it as an excuse then say they are too big to work, think the world owes them a living and expect government hand outs... the people who do it to themselves... not people who has medical conditions.

but that is just it - you cannot tell just by looking at someone who is 'lazy'.
I have low tolerance for people who 'can't be bothered' (to even try) however, what I have learned as i have got older is that even those who are deemed lazy often have a tale behind that laziness.

Just the same - many 'dis'abilities are hidden - my sister has a blue badge - looking at her you wouldn't know why but the amount of intolerant judgemental people who think they have the right to have a pop because its not obvious.

EmmaReed84
25-05-2012, 11:43 AM
but that is just it - you cannot tell just by looking at someone who is 'lazy'.
I have low tolerance for people who 'can't be bothered' (to even try) however, what I have learned as i have got older is that even those who are deemed lazy often have a tale behind that laziness.

Just the same - many 'dis'abilities are hidden - my sister has a blue badge - looking at her you wouldn't know why but the amount of intolerant judgemental people who think they have the right to have a pop because its not obvious.

I do get what you are saying. I don't look at a large person and instantly dislike them, a lot of my friends are on the larger side and actually agree with my opinion. It just gets my back up when I was pregnant I almost went in to labour at 34 weeks, I was given steriods and put on a drip to try and stop the contractions. I heard the nurses outside trying to get a bed in NICU reserved and was told that if they couldn't get a bed and I delivered my baby could get sent to a different hospital because of shortages... this was the same hospital who spend hundreds of thousands of pounds reinforcing the floor and buying a special bed so a lady could have a gastric band fitted... after her op she ordered a take away, it was taken off her. She then got people to smuggle in food for her and she died! Yes the people should not have done it either and I hold them in the same contempt as I do that lady, a total dis-regard for the precious gift we have all been given... LIFE ITSELF!

I am not one of openly judge I have my opinion and generally keep it to myself when around people. I am not a spiteful, horrible, nasty person. I just guess really cannot abide selfish people who do not care... It is the same as George Best... alcoholic, given a liver and still abused it... yes it is an adiction I get that, but that liver could have saved someone who truely deserved it.

Bridey
25-05-2012, 05:46 PM
I was listening to an interview this girl did some time ago ... she said herself that she eats everything and anything. Apparently, as a 30 stone teenager she was sponsored to go to a fat camp in America and did lose weight. The first meal her mum cooked her on her return was fish and chips as it was "all they had in the house." That is so incredibly sad - I hope she gets the help she needs. Her mother too - there must be mental health issues here.