PDA

View Full Version : HAYFEVER!!! ARGH!!!! Any tips?

EmmaReed84
23-05-2012, 05:31 AM
Ugh I get Hayfever really bady. I take hayfever tablets everyday, have been doing for some time now. But I have woken up to itching, streaming eyes, itchy throat and yucky, tickly nose :(

Has anyone got any handy hints to help with hayfever. I can't take certain medicines because I have kidney disease :(

clareelizabeth1
23-05-2012, 06:39 AM
I ve had hay feaver for years and found the best thing for me was this thing called a hayband. You wear it around your elbow and it works in the same principle of travel bands. When I wear them I don't sneeze and my eyes don't run which is great only problem you can't wear them when pregnant so this year I am suffering through the hay feaver.

CH1957
23-05-2012, 06:49 AM
I get it really badly too, especially the streaming eyes which is not a good look.
Ive found I have to change the type of tablets I take every now and then otherwise I seem to get immune and they dont work.
This year Im taking piriton at night, cause they make me drowsy, cetirizine tablets and beconaise nasal spray.
Ive also just started using a salt therapy inhaler as they are supposed to help with breathing problems (I get wheezy) and allergies, but Ive never seen the bands so might try that next :D

wendywu
23-05-2012, 06:50 AM
1 vaseline up your nose as this traps the pollen as it sticks to the vaseline.

2 Get some local honey and take a teaspoon every day, as local honey is made by bees with local pollen and so you build up an immunity to it.

Good luck sneezy :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
23-05-2012, 06:53 AM
Got to the chemist and get some eye drops they really help with the itchy eyes.

butterfly
23-05-2012, 07:15 AM
I have all the medication going and mine is still bad! The one a day tablets are rubbish and I always end up taking at least two!

A hayband sounds like its worth a try though - where do you get them from?

FussyElmo
23-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Dont open your windows so the pollen stays outside.

Do you get your tablets from the doc or chemist sometimes the doc can prescribe better ones.

Clareelizabeth1 - i didnt suffer at all when I was pregnant :)

Mouse
23-05-2012, 08:51 AM
1 vaseline up your nose as this traps the pollen as it sticks to the vaseline.

2 Get some local honey and take a teaspoon every day, as local honey is made by bees with local pollen and so you build up an immunity to it. Good luck sneezy :thumbsup:

That's what I'd read somewhere. Get locally produced honey, the closer to you the better.

The Juggler
23-05-2012, 01:31 PM
def. the honey if you can get it but there are other herbal/plant remedies that are fab for diff. things but you may have to take one for eyes, one for your runny nose etc.:thumbsup:

EmmaReed84
23-05-2012, 01:40 PM
On my 3rd packet of kleene balsam :panic: My nose is not "runny" but really really tickly, my eyes are streaming though... thank goodness for my MAHOOOSIVE sun glasses lol :cool:

I thought about the honey but read some research on it that basically said that it doesn't work because of the amount of pollen in the honey and the sheer amout you would have to take to make a difference... can't remember exactly as it was last year I read that thinking I will prep for this year but didn't bother lol

I don't bother with the expensive stuff, waste of money IMO. I started the vaseline on my nose and used too much as SIL giggled and very loudly informed EVERYONE I had snot all over my face :panic: ARGH! I told her it was vaseline and she was like "YEAH YEAH... SNOT FACE" lol :blush:

CHUNKY MONKEY
23-05-2012, 03:34 PM
[QUOTE=EmmaReed84;1104758]On my 3rd packet of kleene balsam :panic: My nose is not "runny" but really really tickly, my eyes are streaming though... thank goodness for my MAHOOOSIVE sun glasses lol :cool:

I thought about the honey but read some research on it that basically said that it doesn't work because of the amount of pollen in the honey and the sheer amout you would have to take to make a difference... can't remember exactly as it was last year I read that thinking I will prep for this year but didn't bother lol

You have to take it well in advance for it to work I was told from the Autumn to the Spring for it to be effective.

singingcactus
23-05-2012, 04:18 PM
According to ele-van on jungle junction, the desert is the best place to be! I suggest a nice warm sahara holiday.

EmmaReed84
23-05-2012, 04:26 PM
According to ele-van on jungle junction, the desert is the best place to be! I suggest a nice warm sahara holiday.

Well now, there is advice I trust... straight from the Ele-vans mouth! He never talks out of his exhaust :thumbsup:

PixiePetal
23-05-2012, 05:34 PM
My DH suffers - he is a farmer :rolleyes: not the best job for hayfever. DS 15 has it too - he has a cold and off school today as combined he is really feeling bad

They both have Boots one-a-day with loratadine - think others have different ingredients but this seems to suit for now. Roll on the autumn!!:laughing: