PDA

View Full Version : Am i doing too much writing for obs and next steps

toddlers896
21-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Ime just reading how everybody does their obs and i like the idea of taking a photo and using the stickers for the L&D and then writing next steps underneath.
I have attached a copy of what I do but am now thinking that when i have more than one child this is going to be too much.
i do my obs as attached and then I link them to pictures and just reference them.
What do you think? Yes or no!!!
If this is wrong then i would rather change the way i do it now before i do too much and have to start again.
Thanks for advice

childminder54
21-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Thats for one day. Far too much

missymood
21-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Looks really lovely but agree may be too many obs in such a short time.
What do others think?

uf353432
21-05-2012, 09:19 PM
I actually love what you are doing - but in order to make it work with more children you are going to need to streamline so that you can keep on top of it. Your next steps are very clear.

You don't always have to have a next step btw.

Sometimes it follows you can have multiple observations in one day - because you just 'see' loads and so you should if you have the time to capture them all record them.

Pictures do help reduce the amount of words you have to write and it is nice having them with the words on the same sheet.

You could consider having the development sheet and then putting the date of the ob next to developmental milestone so you don't have to keep typing them out.

sarah707
21-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Those are lovely ... if the child is full time then I would say you're doing about the right amount to show progression of learning.

However, if the child is part time you are doing rather a lot of writing - 1 a week would normally be enough.

Hth :D

blue bear
21-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Mine is similar but in a different format, last week I did 6 obs on my full timer just because they were all things he did but couldn't before, I had only done a couple in the last month before that. Just like play my obs are child led, if they mean something I will do them if it's just a nice picture I put them in the diary and do not link them.

sharonmanc
21-05-2012, 09:50 PM
I think what you have done is fantastic. I hand write my LJs I have little thumbs up post it notes, which i write snap shot obs on, and then a sheet I wirte into for more formal obs. Have only had the little one 3 weeks so far, and am spending the first month in just general obs, going to do my first formal obs this week.

miffy
21-05-2012, 10:02 PM
It reads very well :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

toddlers896
22-05-2012, 06:19 AM
Thats for one day. Far too much

its over a month veronica x

toddlers896
22-05-2012, 06:21 AM
Those are lovely ... if the child is full time then I would say you're doing about the right amount to show progression of learning.

However, if the child is part time you are doing rather a lot of writing - 1 a week would normally be enough.

Hth :D

Hi Sarah,
This is a full timer but when i take on more i will reduce the amount i do. I think because i have just started i was eager to get to grips with it so was obsessing over obs x

toddlers896
22-05-2012, 06:26 AM
I read somewhere that the nursery puts a pic in the scrapbook and next to the picture they write a note, links to eyfs and next steps. I really like the sound of that but sometimes not all obs have photos so i dont know where i would write those obs, and what i have written would be too much info next to a photo thats why i did it this way.
My brain is thinking again tho!:idea:

Tabi
04-06-2012, 09:35 PM
The nursery my son went to mostly had post-it notes with obs and the occasional picture. im just gonna pinch their idea for my obs.
this looks good to me tho, i'm only just starting also.

sonia ann
04-06-2012, 09:55 PM
I think that is fine and you are doing about the right amount :)

VeggieSausage
05-06-2012, 08:05 AM
I think it looks good the way you have it layed out etc xx

Maza
05-06-2012, 08:18 AM
I think it's perfect! Very clear and easy to read. Great way of including photos. I think it's about the right amount. You'll get faster at it as you get used to it. Mine are also hand written which I find quicker.

Chatterbox Childcare
05-06-2012, 08:29 AM
Looks great for a month.

One point an ofsted inspector picked up recently was that where is the link to show that the next steps are achieved?

Carol M
05-06-2012, 08:45 AM
I think that is very good.
I now don't write out the the link to EYFS just write the area. Not every ob has a next step.I also have introduced a line after next steps to put date next steps observed /done.
As I now have 6 in the Early Years age group my LJ's will be downsized, I know I write way too much. The introduction of the revised EYFS will help as not so many areas to look at for the little ones.
I use my diary ( my bible) to write everything in then transfer to each childs LJ , monthly if I can. I write ideas for next steps on the Sat and Sun pages in diary for each child and use to plan the following week for all.
All photos are in one album and put on cd yearly for parents so can link to LJ.
See, we all do slightly different ways, whatever you feel happy with do.
Carol xx