PDA

View Full Version : Safeguarding and inclusion at inspection

suzanne1
21-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Hi, I'm quite new to the forum but have already read lots of useful advice, so thank you.

I have my first inspection in a couple of weeks, I'm feeling fairly well prepared apart from a couple of areas that I'm worried they could question me on and I won't know what to say. I keep reading that safeguarding and inclusion are 'hot topics' and I should know them inside out, etc. What kind of things do I need to know exactly?

For safeguarding, it just seems such a broad topic. Off the top of my head, I can think of things like signs of abuse, road safety, having the local safeguarding number handy. I'm sure there must be much more they could ask about?

For inclusion, I just feel like I am inclusive purely because I don't do anything that's not inclusive?!! But I'm sure they are after more evidence than that. Any tips at all on what I could think about and talk about? Does it include diversity?

Thanks in advance!

sarah707
21-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Your safeguarding policy and procedures are the most important - make sure they cover everything you need to talk about and you know your own procedures - Ofsted don't like general policies which are not re-written for your ways of working.

Inclusion covers diversity, equality of opportunity, disability etc.

Hth :D

suzanne1
04-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks Sarah. Sorry for not replying sooner, have been on holiday! For my policies I did use a generic one as a starting point but I went into them in detail and modified lots of bits. Will make sure I know them very well.

Any other tips welcome!

jumpinjen
04-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Questions I was asked were what would I do/say if a dad wanted me to stop his son playing with the dolls and push chairs, and how would i handle it if someone made racist remarks in front of me and the children.

Inclusion looks at the resources you have available - are your books, dolls, dressing up, play food, posters, small world etc diverse? Do they show different abilities, cultures, men and women in different roles eg male nurse, female mechanic, dad hanging out washing, single parents etc etc, what is your wish list?

How would you change things around to accomodate children with sight/physical disabilities or include a child with severe allergies? You can't cover every possible scenario but you should be able to show how you would work through including and enabling children with different needs.

Do you have a bullying and behaviour policy? What is your admissions policy?

HTH, Jen x

VeggieSausage
05-06-2012, 08:08 AM
Government Road Safety website (will have to google it not sure of the address, could be called Think!) did have posters you could print off that were good, they showed people from all different backgrounds, people that had disabilities and not, different ages of people etc.....

chattercat
05-06-2012, 09:46 AM
The website is

http://think.direct.gov.uk/

They have loads of free resources covering all ages, I have just ordered loads.

suzanne1
06-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the replies, really useful. Just want it over and done with now!