PDA

View Full Version : Pre-reg visit

Dilly Daydream
21-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Hi

Now I am scared. All my paperwork is in, CRB is back and I am booked onto the first available first aid course in my area (mid June). Was told last time I spoke to Ofsted that I should be contacted by May 25th with a view to arrange Pre-reg visit which I was told would be a max of 4-5 weeks after the 25th May - i.e. by the end of June. Which is in a way great cos I intended to quit my current job around the end of July to start minding in time for my Daughter starting pre-school in Sept.

But now I am very scared and feel very out of my depth.

I have managed to get hold of a printed copy of EYFS (May 2008 version) as I was advised to learn that one at my Pre-reg meeting (then learn the 2012 version after ready to use from Sept 2012). So I know I need to do some serious reading to learn that.

My local authority states that CYPOP5 must be completed within 6 months of registration as long as I am registered before Sept 2012 - so this is fine, once I have a date for Pre-reg visit I will start the ball rolling with that.

I have done my Safeguarding Children course and have my certificate for that.

I am aware I need to do a food hygiene course but do I have to do this before visit or just before I start taking children in?!? And also am I right in thinking I have to have someone round to inspect my kitchen - if so at what stage does this have to be done?

Also the house is having some major work done to it - the major stuff will be done out of minding hours and to be honest should be completed by the time I have any mindees but it may not be done in time for the visit. What effect might this have on the outcome? Also once the work is done is will alter the set up of my home and will change the way I could run my business - for example Daughters current bedroom will become spare and so could be changed into a playroom and we are looking into changing an unused understair area into a downstairs loo. Do I register as I "intend" to use the house once work is complete or register it as I would use it as it is now - if that makes any sense?!?

I need to do all my policies/RA etc - is there a list anywhere that I can work through please so I can make sure I have at least covered the basics?!? And also where do I get my contract from - I will more than likely become a member of NCMA once I know all is ok so do they do contracts etc?!?

If you can think of anything I have missed that I need to do/consider for Pre-reg visit please feel free to mention as all advice will be greatly appreciated!!

I am sorry for all the questions - I appear to be having a massive nervous wobble. I am really looking forward to getting my minding business up and running and facing the new challenges ahead I just feel a bit out of my depth with it all right now.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Helen.

LittleLadybirds
24-05-2012, 09:35 AM
Hi Helen,
You don't need to have all of your policies and procedures in place for your pre-reg inspection, nor contracts. NCMA do a good start-up type package which includes contracts/accident book/attendance register etc, but you don't need this for your pre-reg.

The inspector will be looking at whether you have the knowledge of safeguarding, basic EYFS, inclusion & diversity etc... and how you can differ activities for different ages/abilities to promote learning and development.

It's best to have risk assessed your house, and have this written up and signed for the inspector to check also - it can have work to be done on it though!

You need to contact Environmental Health before you actually start minding and do the food hygiene certificate.

I'm not sure about the work that you want to do to the house and how that will affect your registration? I would think that Ofsted will have to register it as it is, and you will have to notify them of major works, and then apply for a variation to change the rooms you use, but perhaps someone else can give you more advice on this - or ring Ofsted and ask?!?!

But sounds like you are well on your way to being sorted :) Good luck!

Dilly Daydream
27-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Hi

Thank you for your reply.

After speaking to local minders and some mums who use minders it seems pretty common round here not to do food for the mindees. Parents send their children with a packed lunch and that seems to be the norm. So I will be doing the same. I have checked this and I dont need food hygiene unless I am actually giving the mindees food - was told by someone I had to have it regardless which has now been confirmed as untrue.

I got the call from Ofsted and I have my pre reg visit at the end of June.

I am so nervous!

She did say she wanted to see my policies and RA and wants me to have started my introduction to CM course. Hopefully by then the house will be a bit more ship shaped cos I am stressed out enough as it is without worrying about the additional mess its making.

I will give Ofsted a call about the house alterations and what to do about it. They have been pretty helpful with other queries I have had so far I dont know why I didnt think to call them?!?

Thanks Again
Helen