PDA

View Full Version : Overhaul! Help please... :)

EmmaReed84
21-05-2012, 06:38 AM
I am a nut for paperwork, and often end up making more unnecessary work for myself resulting in my not doing it properly and getting lazy :blush:

I am have a total rethink of how I do things and trying to streamline so just after some advice on what people do re paperwork, what I HAVE to etc.

I currently have an RA folder with my annual RA, specific RA (outings etc) and on going RA (things that like trampoline enclosure broke, gate broke etc) I am ok with these and planning to keep as it helps me.

But I also have a cleaning sheet where I (most of the time :blush:) fill in the toys I clean and date it, also other things used for CM as well as Fridge, cooker etc. I also have a toilet checklist of when that is cleaned and the daily RA checklist where I literally tick the boxes of what I have checked (plug sockets, floor clear, no hazards etc) Do I NEED to have all them 3? I do, do it but forget to write it all down so I have massive gaps in dates.

loocyloo
21-05-2012, 07:32 AM
i have one folder, that sits on the side.

i created a form that has the days of the month down the side, and a grid across the top with a column for fridge/freezer temp, checking smoke alarm, fire drill, toy cleaning, RA.

then i go through the month and everyday write in fridge/freezer temp. i put a star in once a month to check smoke alarm, and to do a fire drill (making sure i cover all the days /children over a few months) and then one day each month to clean/check over a particular toy, taking me about 3 months or so to cover the majority of toys, and then a different RA each week, although i obviously do them continuously too.

also in the file, i keep all my RAs and also the form i use about food safety etc ( that i made up from the better food folder ) that i fill in once a term.

it keeps it all in once place and takes seconds!

EmmaReed84
21-05-2012, 07:42 AM
But do we HAVE to do all that daily checklist stuff (write it all down I mean) Of course I actually do, do it.

I think I just don't see the point in writing it all down, TBH someone could sit down one night and fill in 3 months worth just before an inspection and tell Ofsted they only keep 3 months worth... So they are NOT actually "proof" IYSWIM.

rickysmiths
21-05-2012, 08:04 AM
I don't do any of that!!!

I have an RA folder like you that has all my RAs in.

I have a list of things that are checked daily and monthly Kept in my RA folder but not filled in or ticked off every day.

I have a written cleaning schedule which is also not filled in or checked of it is just a statement of what I do as the Daily list is.

I got fed up of all the paper and decided to do it this way just before my Inspection in Sept. Ofsted didn't even comment and I got an Outstanding in keeping children safe so they must have been happy with what they saw.

We do not have to record daily fridge or freezer temperatures. As long as they are checked and if there is a problem it is recorded with what was done to put it right. This is what Better food better business for childminders asks us to do.

EmmaReed84
21-05-2012, 08:11 AM
RS - I love you!:D

I was soooo hoping you would pop by and say that... that is what I was thinking of doing... ticking lists everyday to me just seems so pointless... Plus I always forget at least 2-3 times a week lol

lizzie23
21-05-2012, 11:10 AM
I recently had an inspection and she asked to see my 'daily checklist' and i was told by the inspector that it is a requirement to record your fridge temp every working day if you store food in it that the children will eat (i do check it every morning when i make a cuppa).