PDA

View Full Version : Help mith planning please. So confused!!!

sunview_cm
18-05-2012, 05:44 PM
I just don't know where to start, what do I need to be doing!
I have started the childrens lj, in them I have put formal observations, look note and listen forms, photo evidence, some individual planning based on child's interest. What else do I need?
I don't have any weekly, monthly, termly planning. What do I put in them and how do I set them out? Can I just break a folder broke down into 4 for seasons and add worksheets, activity ideas etc? covering festivals we celebrate and special days like fathers day, halloween?
The children I look after are only 19m and 12m, so I can't see there being much point in doing theme's with them. I have just had a 4 yr old and a 5yr old start with me on a sat. I have made plans to go to the library storytime on a saturday morning with these mindees and this sat there are dinosaur exhibition on at local park so we are going to that, do I need to do a formal written plan for these kind of activities?
How much planning do I do for them? How do I link the indivdual planning into weekly, monthly planning?
I do, do the odd planned activities with the younger children(like messy play) but I really just rather let them do what they want. I follow their lead.

There is just so much work and I don't know which is the easiest way to do it!! Help!!!!:panic:

jumpinjen
18-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Not sure i can remember all your questions but here goes:
You only need to plan for children in the EY age group, so that is up to the end of August after their fifth birthday - but all in proportion if you aren't their main caregiver then plan one or two things that tie in with their interests/needs/school/nursery planning and record them same as for the little ones and do an LJ.

I plan themes on a spider gram, with the theme in the middle and then a box for each area of the L and D around it. I don't always do all of the ideas but they are there if they fit in. You could keep these in a folder separated into seasons if you wish, then you can look back in future years and pick out what worked well or something new to do.

You are right that themes aren't really suitable for under threes but there's nothing wrong with doing some themed sensory play/craft activities/trips that introduce new ideas and skills to them!

Can't remember any more of your questions, sorry!

Jen x

sunview_cm
18-05-2012, 07:39 PM
I use a spider graph type planning sheet for individual planning in the lj's. I have just done a Monthly planning sheet, which roughly outlines my plans, I have printed it and can add more details as I go I guess. I will see how I get on with this way and can adapt if it needs it.
Thanks for the advice. I was having a bit of a panic/ brain over load I think.
I just need 4 hours in my day and I think I may get on top of things! :)

jumpinjen
18-05-2012, 08:18 PM
You sound like you are doing lots already:)

We all have different ways of working and as long as it works for you and you can follow your planning through to show progression then it's all good!

relax! Jen x

sunview_cm
18-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Sorry just spotted the spelling mistake. *mith is suppose to be with obviously.
Thanks
x