PDA

View Full Version : Help with contract please!

a_bugs_wife
17-05-2012, 06:10 PM
I need some help with a contract.
Mum works term time only. Dad does shifts. LO will start pre school in sept, 3hrs per day, mum will collect LO from pre school.
Want to keep things simple but still want a steady income as I have to be available 8am - 3pm mon to fri.

Was thinking about charging half fee all the time then charge the extra half when i actually mind the LO. That make sense? Been trying to get my head around this for the last couple of hours and now have a bad headache :-(

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Chatterbox Childcare
17-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Are you saying that you will be dropping off? Sounds like before school only and then you are free to take another one on for the rest of your working day

ChocolateChip
18-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Are you saying you will have them in the morning and take them to pre-school in the afternoon, then mum picks up?
If so then I still charge (to 3.30 in my case) as I would be very unlikely to fill their space with someone who wanted only a couple of hours. Also it kept their space for if the school was closed for any reason, inset, strikes, snow, etc.

a_bugs_wife
18-05-2012, 02:41 PM
ChocolateChip,
That would be the hours unless dad's shifts means he is around to have her home in the morning.
We had an informal chat today and my head hurts even more!

Think Dad is struggling with the concept of paying when I havent got her but Mum understands about paying to keep the space available. We had discussed about me having LO even if Dad is at home but that would mean he wouldnt see her for 3 days when he is on a certain shift. Im a Mum myself and I completely understand why he wouldnt be happy with that. But i explained to Mum today that she obviously needs to think about her family, but that I need to think about mine too (ie my earnings).

Think i need to be strong and charge half fee 8.15 - 3.15 everday I dont have her. That would be the norm, right? And obviously they pay full fee when she is here. That way I have always got some money coming in. Got a feeling that they won't want to pay me for when LO is at pre school as Mum will be doing pick up. Should I agree to this but with a short notice period so if something better comes along I can take it?

Thanks

miffy
18-05-2012, 04:10 PM
It's a tricky one because you only have so many under 5 spaces and for me they all need to bring in an income. But I can see that parents won't be happy if they are paying you and preschool.

The other way round things is to charge a higher hourly rate when child is with you or to charge for a minimum number of hours a day whether child is with you or not (obviously you charge more if child is with you more hours).

Miffy xx

ChocolateChip
19-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Yes, that does make things a bit tricky, and I can see why you want to help this family out, BUT it sounds as if dad thinks he can treat you a bit like a drop in centre, as and when.
I think in the circumstances giving them a 50% discount is too generous for the whole time she is not with you, and I don't think it's fair on you to be only earning half wages when they want you to keep virtually a full time space free
How often does dad keep her at home?
Maybe you could charge full fees when he is at work and give them a discount just for the morning session when he has her- that way you are discounting and supporting family time, (which is occasional) rather than setting a precedent to discount pre school time in the future. (which will more likely be every day)
Don't know if that makes sense, but I don't think it's fair for you to keep virtually a full time space free and them not expect to pay for it.

Hope this helps, but only you know how badly you need the contract, just looking out for you hun! ;)