PDA

View Full Version : Gutted about my gran.

nikki thomson
16-05-2012, 08:59 AM
My lovely gran who at 94 still lived in her home of 50yrs on her own with no help apart from family has now been told she has to go in a nursing home and sell her house to pay for her care. Oh yes and my mum has 2 weeks as the hospital need her bed, lovely!!, my gran had a fall 4 weeks ago snd then had a stroke in hospital.
I really didn't want her to go in a home after being so independent, my mum has the awful job of trying to find a nice one, and I'm 200 miles away and can't help, what a nightmare. X

Tink
16-05-2012, 09:29 AM
My Gran had Dementia and was in a home, it's one of the worst decisions we have to make, and so wrong that they have to sell their home to pay for their care:angry:

Hope she finds a lovely home and gets the best possible care.

and here's a :group hug:for you xx

julie w
16-05-2012, 09:34 AM
I really feel for you. Lots of love and hugs xxx

nipper
16-05-2012, 09:34 AM
This is just appalling, I had no idea that this was what happened. How sad for her and for you and the rest of your family.
x

christine e
16-05-2012, 10:58 AM
My Grandma was very much like yours and went into a care home at the age of 96 - she was well looked after and went on to live till she was 101!

Cx:group hug:

Bridey
16-05-2012, 11:03 AM
I am so sorry and I hope you find a lovely place for her x

LOOPYLISA
16-05-2012, 11:46 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

EmmaReed84
16-05-2012, 12:06 PM
I think it is awful that these people work all their lives, worked hard for their home and then get told hey you, sell your house!

I hope your Gran gets a lovely place x

sarah707
16-05-2012, 05:40 PM
I think it is awful that these people work all their lives, worked hard for their home and then get told hey you, sell your house!

Yes so do I :(

I hope your gran finds somewhere special to live xx

CH1957
16-05-2012, 09:17 PM

Unfortunately my Gran had to go into a nursing home at 94 after breaking her ankle in her own home, they put her on the toilet and left her there, she fell off the toilet and broke her hip - she died of pneuminia 6 weeks later! Please do lots of homework and ask lots of questions about the care they give. With hindsight I wish we had cared for her ourselves.

nikki thomson
16-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Unfortunately my Gran had to go into a nursing home at 94 after breaking her ankle in her own home, they put her on the toilet and left her there, she fell off the toilet and broke her hip - she died of pneuminia 6 weeks later! Please do lots of homework and ask lots of questions about the care they give. With hindsight I wish we had cared for her ourselves.

I know you hear such horror stories, we really wanted her to go home but she needs 24hr care, one during the day and two carers at night as she has to be turned, my mum, sister and uncle all work full time and it's just not financial viable to Pay three people a day to care for her, so we have no option.
I have already been on the Internet and done some digging, we don't have much time which doesn't help, hoping my mum finds a good one. X

PixiePetal
16-05-2012, 10:16 PM
There are good nursing homes out there. My nan went into one at 84 after a fall and a stay in hospital. It was lovely - she got her early morning cuppa at 6.30am like she used to at home - even thought the regular tea run was later :thumbsup: - with biscuits (always bought her fave too :)

The staff were great and her only moan was that at 96 she was ready to just go to sleep, had had a wonderful life and her body was just tired out but she still had all her marbles and found it frustrating being old!

FussyElmo
17-05-2012, 05:55 AM
We had to find a nursing home for my day he was only 67 but my mum just couldnt look after him anymore.

We went on the feel of the home. The one that was more modern lovely setting etc just didnt feel right. The one he went in wasnt as modern but the staff were lovely and always around :thumbsup: