PDA

View Full Version : "Borrow" a child

mindingmummy08
15-05-2012, 12:13 PM
I have worked hard since Jan to build up my mindees learning journey and our relationship etc only to have a big mess last week and she's now left.

I am due ofsted any day and my DO told me they will be coming out before end of june due to new eyfs. I also really need a good grading to be able to apply for NEF.

So I have a friend who has a little boy I used to baby sit for before I started minding and she is happy for me to borrow him every tues morning and do an activity, give him lunch and build a learning journey etc. She has just had a newborn so will be glad of the break.

Is this cheating? I have completed my SEF and copied my old mindees learning journey to show how I plan and observe based on childs interests so even if they came after I just started new boy I have evidence of what it would become. I am just so upset that I might not get chance to show off all my hard work.

Do they actually look at contracts as I'm just wondering how I can fill out a contract without putting any charges in. I would get all permissions signed and do an all about me for the LJ but its mostly so they can observe me with a child.

I have an afterschool child starting sept and a baby starting jan but I need a little one now lol.

ARGH I'm driving myself mad. If anyone understands what I'm rambling about thank you.

mindingmummy
15-05-2012, 12:23 PM
I wouldnt worry about borrowing a child to be honest, if you have all your paperwork to show the hard work you put in then ofsted can still inspect and grade you even with no children there. They are experienced enough to know that there are gaps in business. If you explain to them the situation they may even post-pone the inspection to when you have children on role.

I would probably give ofsted a call and ask what is best..

Monkey26
15-05-2012, 12:29 PM
As far as i am aware you will actually need a minded child (not own or related child) present during the inspection otherwise no matter how excellent your paperwork is, they can only grade you as satisfactory.
I may be wrong so hopefully someone 'better' will be along shortly to confirm or disagree.
Good luck with your inspection xx

mindingmummy
15-05-2012, 12:41 PM
I had no child present on my inspection and got graded 'good ' because i could give evidence from my paperwork, learning journals etc....

rickysmiths
15-05-2012, 12:44 PM
My understanding is that if you have no Early Years Children on your books it is very unlikely you will get more than a Satisfactory Grade.

jane5
15-05-2012, 02:39 PM
I cannot see that borrowing this child is cheating. You are not related to him, we can have friends children on our books and they are classed as minded children.

You are caring for him, his mum is having a break and it is not Ofsted's business what you charge your friend or any other parent.

I would do it because when I had my first inspection my inspector would only look at journals of the children I had on my books not children who had left so I suppose it depends what your inspector is like.

mindingmummy08
15-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Thanks for all your help.

My DO said its a good idea so I'm going to do it or else I won't get a good grade and won't be able to apply for NEF so going to sign some contracts etc thursday and he starts next tues. If they phone before then I can tell them I will be minding from tuesday and they'll come when I have him.

:clapping: