PDA

View Full Version : Assessments please help!!

sophie1977
14-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Hi, Please somebody help me, as i'm really confused and want to organise myself but finding it hard.
When i do an assessment on a child, how often do i do them and how do i then prove that they have achieved thier next steps on each of the eyfs's? Really confused about this matter and how does everybody keep up with it especially if you have a number of children?

Another question if you don't mind, when all the children are doing the same activities and you have to write in each of thier diaries, what they have done, i'm just repeating myself x the number of children i have, is there another way or something a bit less irritating/tedious?

Thank you and any examples of these would be great as i dont really know how to set it out and to do follow ups?:panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic:

sarah707
14-05-2012, 05:15 PM
I observe... assess... plan... observe... assess some more... plan some more...

It's a constant cycle.

If you are writing the same things every day and it's getting too much consider how else you can provide parents with the information - what about one email sent to them all or give them your planning and say that's what we are doing I am sure xx will tell you all about it.

Ask them - do they want / read the daily contact books? How else might they want to receive information from you?

Hth :D

sophie1977
14-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Hi sarah,
Thanks for your reply, i will ask them if i can send them e-mails instead of the daily dairies, i'm sure it would be quicker.

So from your message i guess i can do as many assessment as i like, maybe every 3 monthes?? does that sound ok? after the observations.:blush:

Thanks again
Sophie

P.s do you have any kind of format i can use for the assessments?

sarah707
14-05-2012, 07:33 PM
I am not being rude when I ask - but do you know what an assessment is?

When you observe, you need to think about the observation and how it links to the child, the child's learning and development, the Development Matters guidance document that comes with the EYFS...

So...

Observation - John uses a pincer grip to pick up a toy car. This is the first time you have seen John use a pincer grip, before this he's used his whole hand.

Assessment - what does this tell you about John's development? Well John is 1 year old and it's a normal developmental milestone. It can link to the Physical Development part of the EYFS and you can note that on your observation sheet.

Next steps planning - how will you support John? You might practice some more picking up to let him show off his new skill. You could take a photo to share with parents as well and tell they what a clever boy they have.

Observation - you might link back to the next steps or it might be about something completely different. It would be nice to put a photo in his previous observation showing him using his new grip though...

This is ongoing day-to-day stuff... with me so far?

Then every few months (3, 6, termly it's up to you) go back over John's observations, assessments and planning and write a brief summary of some of the new things he has done and said to share with parents.

I hope that makes sense it's been a long day! :D

sophie1977
25-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Thank you Sarah, it's such a relief, now that i understand, i was doing it all wrong. Thank you :blush::jump for joy:thank you thank you:clapping:

Just to sort out the individual planning now, how often do i do that? and how?
And when i link the obs to the eyfs, and do next steps, is there anything else that i need to do and put in thier folders?

Sorry i know i sound like such an idiot:blush::blush::blush:, but i'm also very lost and i don't have any support around here, from anyone. Sorry again:panic::panic:

sarah707
25-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Individual planning is the same as your next steps for the little ones...

For older children you might plan some group themed activities - individual planning would link to these.

So you have planned Healthy Smile Week - for individual planning Jane likes crocodiles so you read a book about crocs and their teeth with her... John likes playdough so you make some white dough and show him how to shape teeth...

All the children might work together to write a story about a beautiful tooth fairy who is lost and needs help to find her way home :D