PDA

View Full Version : Can I claim for steam cleaner?

stargazer1
12-05-2012, 06:32 PM
I have just bought a steam cleaner today. Primarily to use to get the inevitable stains out of my carpets before they set in, and to keep my kitchen and bathroom sterile and clean, so ensuring a clean and healthy environment for mindees and my own family. Can I claim this as an expense? x :idea:

christine e
12-05-2012, 10:47 PM
I would

Cx

miffy
13-05-2012, 06:47 AM
Would you have bought one if you weren't minding?

If not then I would also class it a s a business expense.

Miffy xx

ziggy
13-05-2012, 11:39 AM
I was thinking the same. I wouldnt buy one if i wasnt minding as floors wouldnt get so dirty with me living alone

so think i will go for it

stargazer1
13-05-2012, 01:49 PM
No, I really dont think we would have bought it ordinarily. I know how much mess my two can make and now I'm going to to have another 5 running through my house during the week, it seemed like a good thing to buy. Its far more eco friendly and healthy for the children too, rather than keep on using all sorts of chemicals and sprays. I swear we have steam cleaned every inch of my house today, my home is gleaming!! I will put it in as an expense then, thanks people x

toddlersup
13-05-2012, 07:44 PM
What steamer did you buy? I've been thinking about one for a while but i don't know anyone who has got one or how good they are.

Chatterbox Childcare
14-05-2012, 05:43 AM
I would say yes

I have a steamer and it is fantastic. I purchased mine from pitch tv and it does loads, not just the floor, I do the spillages on carpets, fingers on windows and intense stains anyone by taking the handle off and using the hand held section

helengreen13
14-05-2012, 05:58 AM
I have just bought a vax pro steamer and it's fantastic, it uses steam plus a detergent which keeps floors clean and fresh. X

stargazer1
14-05-2012, 06:51 AM
I got the Karcher S1020. It was on offer in Argos down from £130 to £99. Its really good. Nice to know that everything in the bathroom is clean, the toilet bowl is sanitised etc. Day 1 today! Hope I'm organised! Thanks for all your help xx

FussyElmo
14-05-2012, 07:10 AM
Just brought one didnt even think of it being an allowable expense :)

Will put a percentage through though a I would have brought one anyhow :thumbsup:

MrAnchovy
14-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Just a note to say that whether or not you would have bought one anyway is irrelevant.

So for FussyElmo, even though she would have bought it anyway, if she uses it 50% of the time for cleaning up after minding, she can claim 50% of the cost.

And for stargazer1 who wouldn't have bought one anyway but is using it to clean her whole house (some of which presumably is not used for minding), she can only claim a percentage.

This is the way all claims for expenses which are partly for business and partly for private use work, it is the percentage of use that counts.

FussyElmo
14-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Just a note to say that whether or not you would have bought one anyway is irrelevant.

So for FussyElmo, even though she would have bought it anyway, if she uses it 50% of the time for cleaning up after minding, she can claim 50% of the cost.

And for stargazer1 who wouldn't have bought one anyway but is using it to clean her whole house (some of which presumably is not used for minding), she can only claim a percentage.

This is the way all claims for expenses which are partly for business and partly for private use work, it is the percentage of use that counts.

Thats what i thought Thanks MrA :thumbsup:

stargazer1
14-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Thanks for coming back on this Mr A! The only rooms I dont use for minding is the bedrooms - not a lot to steam clean in there! It is going to be the car, the kitchen, the bathroom, my sofa - all of which are used for minding. How would I work out a percentage? Sorry, bit new to all this expenses lark :)