PDA

View Full Version : Jubilee Theme

Balibali
12-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Anyone doing queen diamond jubilee activity? I only can think making a bunting. What else?

Thank you

loocyloo
12-05-2012, 04:40 PM
i'm not really doing anything ... mine are all 2yrs or under ( plus 3 yr old )! local preschool are visiting a local castle as part of their jubilee celebrations and have invited me and mindees to go with them :D

we might make some crowns and pretend to be kings and queens and have a party.

jumpinjen
12-05-2012, 04:54 PM
I have older preschoolers, we are planning a street party for the Wednesday - making royal foods like coronation chicken and queens pudding, as well as usual party food like sausage rolls, sandwiches, salad sticks, crisps etc - lots of maths working out how many of each we will need.

Also doing a time line of the queens life on a concertina folded piece of lining paper then the bits the children are most interested in we will look for more info on the laptop, print out and stick in eg when the palace burned down, the crown jewels etc etc.

our St george's day red and white bunting still up, may pull this down and add some blue to it too.

i have crowns to decorate with glitter, sequins, shiny paper etc...

May make a couple of robes for the dressing up if I have time- wil record it for the children to watch if they want to for as long as they can hold attention on slooooow proceedings!!

Jen x

Monkey26
12-05-2012, 06:32 PM
We are covering the Jubilee in May as i have Jubilee week booked off work... So anyways, our theme this month is "fairytales".

So far we have made invites to our childminders Jubilee party on the 29th, went to see the Queen in Exeter on part of her tour and have been the library to take out some different fairytale books.

We also have plans to...
* make some bunting, flags and crowns
* plant some beans for Jack & the Beanstalk
* bake some jam tarts for Queen of Hearts and then play a variation of pass the parcel with them at afterschool snack time

I can't remember the rest right now haha xx

RachelE
13-05-2012, 08:29 PM
I've just spent a while looking for stuff.

I think I'm going to do a little scrapbook for the children - to look back on in years to come.

I've got some ideas off the tesco magazine website, activity village and the woodland trust. I've also printed some images off the Queen off, to put on our display board.
I'll look for some more ideas tomorrow night.

Rachel x

jumpinjen
13-05-2012, 08:34 PM
I've just spent a while looking for stuff.

I think I'm going to do a little scrapbook for the children - to look back on in years to come.

I've got some ideas off the tesco magazine website, activity village and the woodland trust. I've also printed some images off the Queen off, to put on our display board.
I'll look for some more ideas tomorrow night.

Rachel x

The jubilee colouring pages are lovely on activity village - so detailed!

sarah707
13-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Ohhh Rachel I like the scrap book idea! :clapping:

It might be nice to buy a couple of souvenir newspapers as well - who buys newspapers nowadays...?

You could put them with the children's photos etc :D

RachelE
13-05-2012, 08:49 PM
I bought a few newspapers before and after William and Kates wedding and have made a scrapbook with those.
My Mum has done it for all the big Royal events and its nice to look back on and see what we did to celebrate them.

Rachel x

curlywurly
13-05-2012, 09:37 PM
One idea I saw somewhere was to make fairy cakes, make the mixture as usual divide into 3 bowls, add red colouring to 1, add blue to another and leave the last 1 plain, then spoon 1 spoonful of each into the cake cases and cook them.

When the children bite into them they've got red white and blue sponge!

I think I might try these. :)

christine e
14-05-2012, 05:38 AM
Went to an ncma event on Saturday and the workshop was all about sharing ideas for the jubilee and olympics
The Queens Knickers story and get the children to design some knickers for her to wear for the jubilee
Big Red Balloon story (I was not familiar with this story - it is about a school having a balloon race and one child being invited the Buck Palace because the Queen finds her balloon) and have a red, white and blue balloon race
Choc playdough and lemon playdough and make cakes for a party
Make bunting using red, white and blue bits and bops and laminate then cut up into triangles to string up for bunting
Make a throne buy covering a garden chair with arms with your glittery material, make crowns, orbs and septres

Just few ideas

Cx

miffy
14-05-2012, 06:56 AM
Went to an ncma event on Saturday and the workshop was all about sharing ideas for the jubilee and olympics
The Queens Knickers story and get the children to design some knickers for her to wear for the jubilee
Big Red Balloon story (I was not familiar with this story - it is about a school having a balloon race and one child being invited the Buck Palace because the Queen finds her balloon) and have a red, white and blue balloon race
Choc playdough and lemon playdough and make cakes for a party
Make bunting using red, white and blue bits and bops and laminate then cut up into triangles to string up for bunting
Make a throne buy covering a garden chair with arms with your glittery material, make crowns, orbs and septres

Just few ideas

Cx

Make boats (paper or plastic) and have a flotilla just like the Queen! The Queen's grand vessel was made from a milk bottle cut in half and decorated with jewels. If you don't want to use the paddling pool then a length of blue material with all the boats spread out along it looked very effective.

One of the simplest crafts was some cheap hair elastics (primark) with lengths of red, white and blue ribbon tied to them which the children could dance around with.

Miffy xx

Dragonfly
14-05-2012, 07:12 AM
I buy a newspaper every day Sarah:thumbsup:

Toothfairy
23-05-2012, 05:25 PM
We will be........

*Making and decorating crowns
*Red, White & Blue hand/finger painting
*Making a Jubilee/olympic time capsule
*Making a royal family/ Buck house/ London collage
*Dressing up as Kings and Queens