PDA

View Full Version : VET PRACTICE - your thoughts!

VINASOL
11-05-2012, 11:43 AM
I am in legal battle with my ex-vet. My cat was quite ill and looked like he needed an operation; it would come to about £500 quid. I didn't have the money. Had paid about £80 out initially but agreed with vet (as I was insured) to claim via my insurance company.

They made me pay (over 7 quid) for a PRE-AUTHORISATION confirmation from my insurer, who confirmed that I was covered for £4k's worth of treatment for this condition and that they would pay.

They then got me to pay another admin charge for an actual claim form which they sent off to insurance company. However, they sent it off before treatment had been completed and further meds were given AFTER they sent the form (they didn't tell me they'd sent the form off either btw), and are now chasing ME for outstanding money...either I pay a FURTHER admin fee for another claim form or pay outstanding amount in full.

I'm now in dispute with them and it is going to court because we both won't budge.

THEY think that I should either a) just pay the outstanding amount (although they have forgotten about the 4.95 they owe me) or b) claim via insurance company but with me paying an admin fee.

I THINK that they should have a) not have claimed before end of treatment, or b) claim via insurance company but without me paying another admin fee as they already had been told that I was covered up to four thousand pounds.

What do you think?

Bridey
11-05-2012, 11:51 AM
So they would rather pay to take you to court than waive a £7 admin fee and claim for their costs from the insurance company, even though they were the ones who messed up in the first place???

No wonder you are not happy. I'm afraid I cannot offer any advice apart from maybe going to see the Citizen's Advice Bureau or trying to get a free consultation with a solicitor.

sarah707
11-05-2012, 11:52 AM
They should not have claimed before the end of the treatment.

Silly people now suing you for their mistake :(

Hugs xx

VINASOL
11-05-2012, 12:07 PM
that's what i think. the amount i owe now includes all of their legal fees going on 200 quid!

the finance person was so BULLISH on the phone initially threatening me straight away if I didn't pay she'd send me to court...v. unprofessional and would not listen and would not proceed without administration fees.

So, I've just defended myself on the first court case (just paperwork), and now I'm going to have to appear in court, present my case and to find out who the judge thinks is right. Hubbie will be representing me (used to present cases in his old job so is used to county courts), and I'm hoping together we can convince the judge that the vets are at fault.

RainbowMum
11-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Our vet doesn't charge admin for insurance... I would be thinking of a formal complaint to the vetinary partners of the practise :panic:

VINASOL
14-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Well....the COUNTY COURT date has finally come through regarding this. When my case was in Northampton all parties were asked to do mediation...I agreed, they did not...What a Surprise - NOT.

So, the Judge has asked to have a preliminary hearing before actual hearing takes place (not sure why)....I KNOW/FEEL that I am in the right and I do hope that the judge agrees...it also means though that I have to take the day off work as I could be there half hour or FOUR hours!!

B*****y vets!:angry:

So anxious - never been in court before!

AliceK
14-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Well....the COUNTY COURT date has finally come through regarding this. When my case was in Northampton all parties were asked to do mediation...I agreed, they did not...What a Surprise - NOT.

So, the Judge has asked to have a preliminary hearing before actual hearing takes place (not sure why)....I KNOW/FEEL that I am in the right and I do hope that the judge agrees...it also means though that I have to take the day off work as I could be there half hour or FOUR hours!!

B*****y vets!:angry:

So anxious - never been in court before!

That's not going to go in their favour :panic:

Good luck. I hate it when these companies think they can just treat us badly and that we won't fight back. Good for you.

xxxx

~Grasshopper~
14-08-2012, 12:58 PM
aww hun good luck.

i used to work in the criminal justice system and its not as scary as you think.

all cases need a prelim before the actual trial date, normally to set a date that is good for all parties and maybe resolve it.

i think you are right and hope the judge agrees

x

Tippy Toes
14-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Just wanted to wish you luck, its sounds awful the way they have treated you!

littletreasures
14-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Good luck with the court case.

With my insurance company I phone them up to ask for a claim form, tell them what it's for and they send one out. I don't have to pay for the claim form.

Is the claim form one the vet's provide or is it on from your insurance company? Seems they are money grabbing vets and will charge wherever they can!!

wendywu
14-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Doing this now with more than insurance for my cat.

The vets do not charge for admin ( pets at home) and I down load claim forms from the Internet and the vets send them off for me. This will have to happen monthly as she is will be on tablets and special food for the rest of her life.

Your vets seem to be a bit money grabbing I so hope you win against them .:panic:

VINASOL
14-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Thanks.

I hope I win too....I think it's unfair to ask to pay another admin fee for the same treatment which has been signed off.

I was told by one of their staff that 'they put as much as possible on the claim form to the company"...I am still considering contacting the obudmsman (can't spell) and the tax office....