PDA

View Full Version : record of attendance

Debster
10-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Is it a requirement to have your register signed?The nursery's never get you to sign a register. Its just another thing for me to remember which Iam not good at these days :blush: I have such busy days some parents arriving at the same time some meeting me to pick up at school. one parent rarely comes to my house to collect on the child's last day with me so never gets chance to sign the register. Can I just make up my own register that does nor require a signature. Mrs O coming next month do not want to give her any excuse to pick on me:panic:

mum2two
10-05-2012, 08:21 PM
I don't get mine signed. The only time I needed them was when a parent never paid & I took them to court. Not really sure why they needed registers as per my contract, parents pay for contracted hours - not hours of attendance.

They weren't signed then. I believe it is good practice though, that the parent confirms when the child is with you, covering your back if something happened outside of this.

Xx

sarah707
10-05-2012, 08:23 PM
I ask parents to sign - it's something they do automatically when they take the bill.

I just say - please sign to confirm the hours that I have put on your bill - that way there's no comeback.

It also covers me in years to come if there is a complaint made so I can prove parents agreed when child was / was not with me.

However, it is not a requirement :D

miffy
10-05-2012, 08:24 PM
There is no legal requirement to get your attendance sheets signed. I don't get mine signed and I sign the children in and out, parents have nothing to do with it. I keep a register only because it's a legal requirement to keep a record of the days and times a child is with you.

Miffy xx

Chatterbox Childcare
10-05-2012, 08:45 PM
It is good practice to cover you if you had a legal or safeguarding challenge but as far as I am aware the EYFS says you have to have a record of attendance and nothing about signatures.

If Ofsted insisted on it I would ask where it states that it has to be done.

Personally I have never had my signed.

mrs robbie williams
11-05-2012, 05:58 AM
I dont use a register anymore i just put it all in my big daily diary (hopefully this is ok) x

rickysmiths
11-05-2012, 06:29 AM
I have always had mine signed and I was so gald when a parent made a complaint against me to Ofsted last year.

NOT a safeguarding issue at all. A time keeping one and the parent accused me of not telling them. I was able to send Ofsted a copy of the attendance register that the parent had signed proving that I had informed the parent. Without that signature it would have been hard to prove and it would have been my word against theirs in the event it threw their complaint out.

It made 18 years of getting parents signatures worth its weight in gold.

It is a good way to demonstrate your are working with parents.

It has on many occasions made parents realise how often they are late and if the challenge late fees like one parent did yesterday, I can refer back to the attendance sheet that they have signed saying they have seen and agreed to it. You would be amazed how they apologise when they see the evidence in black and white and they have signed it. Yes most of the parents do glance over the hours and I have been questioned over hours before signing which is fine.

I have never had a problem with the parents signing, in fact as I identify it as a requirement (for me) at interview stage they expect it and most of them ask for the register on their last day :thumbsup:

Hayley102
11-05-2012, 06:39 AM
I do my own register and don't get it signed. I always forgot and then was asking them to do past signatures! Just felt it wasnt worth the hassle.