PDA

View Full Version : Accounts weekly, monthly, annually??

sharonmanc
10-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Just wondering how others do it.

I have started keeping my accounts book, and for now i am doing it weekly, but i have not done any of my bigger things, like phone, gas electric etc.
I have a little book i keep with me that i jot down milage or any little purchases for minding, any receipts when out are kept in a seperate part of my purse so i can go over them and add to my accounts at the end of the week.

How do you do your accounts??

Do you leave bigger things until the end of the tax year?

Any advice wil be welcome as trying to figure out how to keep on top of things :mad:

rosebud
10-05-2012, 05:45 PM
I designed a spreadsheet using excel which does all the calculations for me. It took a while to set up but I have used the same one for the last 4 years so was worth doing. I sit down about every 3 months and just enter all the figures in - invoices, receipts, etc and it works it all out for me. I add my heating, lighting, council tax, etc at the end of the year (I calculate how many weeks I've worked and average the number of hours and get the figures from that) I did use the NCMA book for my first year but it took forever.

sharonmanc
10-05-2012, 05:48 PM
I am hopeless with spreadsheets :blush: so old style paper and pen for me.

rickysmiths
10-05-2012, 06:18 PM
I use the NCMA accounts book. Jote things down weekly, number receipts.

I note down mileage in my diary and enter it once a month.

Everything is summarised every month alongside income

I do all my regular bills annually at the end of the year. I work out my hours per month and if any drop below the full % like my summer holiday it shows. I then enter the annual amount in March.

The NCMA book then ties all the figures up in the back so you end up with the figures you need for your tax return.

sharonmanc
10-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Thank you Rickysmiths. I have the MM accounts book, which sounds the same.

I am thinking of stapling my weekly receipts to each weeks accounts.

miffy
10-05-2012, 07:03 PM
If you can keep on top of your accounts by doing them weekly then that's great and so much easier at the end of the year. I keep receipts for each month together and once I've entered them into my accounts I staple them together.

Miffy xx

loocyloo
10-05-2012, 08:58 PM
each year i say i'm going to keep on top of my accounts ....

:D never happens!

what i do though is each week i have an envelope in my diary that i put any receipts in and write on the outside date and what i bought, mileage and anything that i have spent money on, and then i file it in a 12 section folder thing a friend gave me ! it still takes me a while at the end of each tax year ( or whenever i do my accounts ) to fill out my ncma book, but i do know where i am with it! then, when i am doing my accounts i staple each envelope, in order, in a big book. although i'm liking the idea of stapling them to each weeks accounts in the book, rather than a seperate book! (thanks sharonmac :idea: )

BucksCM
10-05-2012, 09:43 PM
First of all.....I do keep things in my diary, receipts, miliage, outings, etc...but I'm not very good at doing it regularly...so I usually end up panicing in january and spend a whole weekend ding them!!!!:eek::eek:

I do have the NCMA accounts book and it is really easy to use...I just don't keep on top of it!!:D:blush:

Bridey
10-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Despite all good intentions, I put all my receipts in monthly envelopes and then do my accounts in January just before the deadline!

Apparently I work best under pressure! :laughing:

BucksCM
10-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Despite all good intentions, I put all my receipts in monthly envelopes and then do my accounts in January just before the deadline!

Apparently I work best under pressure! :laughing:

I think you may be my long lost twin!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: