PDA

View Full Version : Do mice in the garden bother you?

Mouse
07-05-2012, 10:58 AM
As the title says, would it worry you if you knew you had mice in your garden?

We have quite a 'natural' garden - wild growing areas, lots of trees, wood piles, mini beast habitats etc. The area where mindees play is a cleared, fenced off area, but we do go into other parts of the garden to explore.

We get lots of birds coming into the garden, as well as squirrels, hedgehogs and a fox. I knew we would have mice in the garden, but have only seen them recently. I was watching one run round yesterday. Very cute, but it's a mouse :rolleyes:

We have no sign at all of them in the house, so I'm not too worried at the moment. There is a good supply of food for it outside (blackberries grow wild), so I'm hoping they wouldn't have any need to come indoors. We feed the birds all year round, so even in winter they would have that to help themselves to!

I'm quite happy to leave them where they are, but a friend freaked when I told her I'd seen one! What would you do? Leave them alone, but be vigilant incase they try to get indoors, or set traps now before they get any closer?

hello kitty
07-05-2012, 11:01 AM
I wouldn't be bothered, your garden sounds lovely. Having said that I do have 10 cats so I don't think any mouse in its right mind would dare to enter my home! :panic:

rickysmiths
07-05-2012, 11:20 AM
We must have mice around because they infested our old garage. We demolished it as part of our building works two years ago and have not seen a mouse since. Never had any in the house. They must be out there though.

caz3007
07-05-2012, 11:23 AM
We had a family that lived under our shed, it was cute watching them from my sofa, but they never appeared when we were outside. As I am one row of houses away from fields and our garden isnt exactly wild but we have a cottage garden theme, its inevitable that we will get them and have had them indoors, but humane trapped and put over the fields

FussyElmo
07-05-2012, 12:23 PM
I know they are out there but I dont stress too much as long as they stay outside.

Not sure what your friend wants you to do as I pretty sure they are in most peoples and if you live by fields then the percentage rises.

We will lay traps if they venture in but leave them well alone outside - now if I saw a rat :eek:

primula
07-05-2012, 12:42 PM
we have had mice in the garden from time to time, I personally am not bothered by anything like that as long as they dont come indoors! Wish we had hedgehogs, I havent seen one in years!

kindredspirits
07-05-2012, 12:56 PM
mice i don't mind... i did rehome our guinea pigs because they were attractibg massive rats :panic:

Mouse
07-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Thank you!

I did tell my friend that I would struggle to get rid of them all as they're probably in everyone's garden, but she was adamant there would be none in hers!

We live on a very busy street, although we do have a field close by, and our garden is like a little wild life sanctuary in a built up urban area. I'm also rubbish at gardening, so leaving everything in it's natural state suits us!

Ripeberry
07-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Your friend sounds like she has a phobia.

miffy
07-05-2012, 03:26 PM
They're unlikely to bother you if there's plenty of food outside. When we kept rabbits outside I often went out at night to find a mouse sitting in the hutch having its tea :laughing: never had any in the house though.

Miffy xx

Dragonfly
07-05-2012, 03:33 PM
They are out side, leave them alone.I bet your friend has mice in her garden and just hasnt seen them:laughing:

lozzy23
07-05-2012, 03:51 PM
I know we have mice in the garden, they have nested in the garage in the rabbit's bedding and in an old sewing machine, very cute, (garage is at the end of our garden). I have never seen one voluntarily enter our house, but our cat has insisted on bringing one or two of them into our house (sadly beyond help):(.

I also have to check my patio each morning as there is a mouse run to my neighbours very overgrown garden and my cat will leave the remnants of a mouse there (sorry tmi - yucky).

PixiePetal
07-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Mice don't worry me outside - the kids had a shock once when one was in the tikes playhouse:laughing: I was called to remove the 'rat' - it was a beautiful woodmouse (we live on a farm) I let him go up the end of the garden to live another day

Rats I do get rid of, if not we would be over run. Our dog is well trained and they are despatched very quickly if they appear - not seen evidence for a while.

We have something lurking in our roof - heard it scratching last night - must investigate, don't want any wires chewed!

Chimps Childminding
07-05-2012, 04:34 PM
I wouldn't mind mice in the garden - definately not in the house though :eek: But as for rats don't want them in the garden either :panic: although I know that in theory they are never far away - just as long as they stay out of sight:eek::panic:

Rubybubbles
07-05-2012, 07:02 PM
don't bother me, found this nest in shed when clearing out for move last week! was very impressed:D

we have lovely presents from the cat! so they did well.

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww280/Rubybees/P1050472.jpg

tilt your head right lol!

nikki thomson
07-05-2012, 07:06 PM
mice i don't mind... i did rehome our guinea pigs because they were attractibg massive rats :panic:

I totally agree, mice ok but we had the most enormous rats living under our shed years ago at a different address and they kept attacking our rabbit, we had to get pest control in but mice as long as there's not thousands of them then yes I could live with them. X

babs
07-05-2012, 10:05 PM
i dont mind mice we back on to a wood so they must be around somewhere never seen one , but i think we have a rat in the shed as the birds nuts have disappeared .. called pest control they are dealing with it coming back wednesday dont use the shed for anything childminding only thing in there are hubbys tools and garden tools, oh and nuts for birds..

Mouse
08-05-2012, 08:22 AM
don't bother me, found this nest in shed when clearing out for move last week! was very impressed:D

we have lovely presents from the cat! so they did well.

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww280/Rubybees/P1050472.jpg

tilt your head right lol!

That's impressive!

I'm sure the mice have been in one of my sheds, but there's no sign of them in the others. The shed they're in isn't used often, whereas I'm in the others daily, so I suppose they've chosen the one where they won't be disturbed.

The cat's been going mad near a wood pile as well, so I take it they could be there. I want to look, but don't want to move something & have hundreds of baby mice come scurrying out!

clareelizabeth1
08-05-2012, 11:59 AM
I live in the middle of know where no neighbours (its lovely) but we do have a lot of animal neighbours. Apart from the animal i have purchased (chickens, pigs, cat, dogs, sheep) We also see on a regular bases foxes (they sleep 40 meters from my bed room window), badgers (we see there den every day on our walk about 100 meters from my house) rats come and try to eat our chicken food (we tend to shoot them), herrins, have started to come in to my wood as the river near by has been flooded, field mice are every where and no amount of time or money would get rid of them, we have moles every where and them little tiny deers that i have forgotten the name of but begin with an M. I keep thinking of more, but i will stop now, i am just vigilant over hand washing, and keeping the sectioned off part of my garden poo and wee free. as long as you risk assess for it i wouldn't be worried, how can you be expected to stop nature after all.

angeldelight
08-05-2012, 12:02 PM
As the title says, would it worry you if you knew you had mice in your garden?

We have quite a 'natural' garden - wild growing areas, lots of trees, wood piles, mini beast habitats etc. The area where mindees play is a cleared, fenced off area, but we do go into other parts of the garden to explore.

We get lots of birds coming into the garden, as well as squirrels, hedgehogs and a fox. I knew we would have mice in the garden, but have only seen them recently. I was watching one run round yesterday. Very cute, but it's a mouse :rolleyes:

We have no sign at all of them in the house, so I'm not too worried at the moment. There is a good supply of food for it outside (blackberries grow wild), so I'm hoping they wouldn't have any need to come indoors. We feed the birds all year round, so even in winter they would have that to help themselves to!

I'm quite happy to leave them where they are, but a friend freaked when I told her I'd seen one! What would you do? Leave them alone, but be vigilant incase they try to get indoors, or set traps now before they get any closer?

A mouse asking questions about mice? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Thought that was funny

Angel xx

Mouse
08-05-2012, 12:24 PM
A mouse asking questions about mice? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Thought that was funny

Angel xx

lol! They obviously think I'm a kindred spirit :laughing:

AliceK
08-05-2012, 03:30 PM
They're unlikely to bother you if there's plenty of food outside. When we kept rabbits outside I often went out at night to find a mouse sitting in the hutch having its tea :laughing: never had any in the house though.

Miffy xx

For the first time ever since we've had our rabbits (5yrs) I have never seen a mouse until this morning. It ran along the side of the run, into the run, into the hutch, out again and then underneath. I sat and watched it for about 5mins. I don't mind mice, I used to live on farms so am used to them as long as they don't come into my house. My OH says they are in the garage too as he has seen chewed up carboard etc in there but we have 2 cats who spend a lot of time in the garage so it must be one brave (or stupid) mouse.

xxxx

mrs_scottydog
08-05-2012, 09:42 PM
We have them in our garden, I only know as we have regular presents from our cat. This morning we had two, one beyond help, the other was behind the radiator in the dining room until DH came home and got it out. Normally I don't have to deal with the presents as DH is up first in the morning. Hx

Chatterbox Childcare
08-05-2012, 10:27 PM
muse yes - mice no and boy do they multiply What if a child came in hold a dead one by the tail - shivers down my back ):

BucksCM
08-05-2012, 11:22 PM
just read the title and

"no, but rats in the kitchen do"

popped into my head!

You know the song..!!

Ok...I know....I know.........:blush:

angeldelight
09-05-2012, 06:24 AM
lol! They obviously think I'm a kindred spirit :laughing:

No that is Anna !!!!!! :laughing:

Got to admit I would not like mice in my garden but we prob do have them, if they leave me alone I will be fine

I would run a mile if I saw one :laughing: they scare me half to death

I am surprised so many do not mind them

Angel xx