PDA

View Full Version : Records after children leave?

lorettacritchet
05-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Hi, I just need some clarification in regards to children's files. I have several children who have either left for one reason or another or older short term contract children who don't come to me anymore.
I know its meant to be a rule you give the parents the observations etc when they leave your setting but what about children above 7 who don't have observations?
I have all the medical and contract info still for all the younger and older children - do I just shred them or do I need to keep them? if so for how long? I am sitting on some stuff wondering what to do with it? thanks. Surely I dont return all the medical/child record form etc back to the parents?

Kiddleywinks
05-05-2012, 11:24 AM
It's my understanding that all personal information/records and the contract is to be kept securely until the child reaches 21 and 6 months in case of any future allegations being made against you.

The LJ and Daily Diary if there are any should go to the parents. If you're no longer in contact with them, I'd be tempted to keep it with all the other stuff and then shred the lot when the time frame's elapsed.

(Edit: I'll be keeping mine in a small lockable filing cabinet in the loft)

lorettacritchet
05-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Omg i have already shredded some bits! Erm what do you mean until 21 and 6 months? you don't seriously mean 21 years old do you???

QUOTE=Chrissie H;1095506]It's my understanding that all personal information/records and the contract is to be kept securely until the child reaches 21 and 6 months in case of any future allegations being made against you.

The LJ and Daily Diary if there are any should go to the parents. If you're no longer in contact with them, I'd be tempted to keep it with all the other stuff and then shred the lot when the time frame's elapsed.

(Edit: I'll be keeping mine in a small lockable filing cabinet in the loft)[/QUOTE]

Kiddleywinks
05-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Yes I'm afraid so, sorry :o

I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct me :thumbsup:
It has something to do with a child having 3 years after they reach the age of 18 to make a claim against you

Accounts stuff only needs to be kept for 7 years following the end of the financial year so 2010 - 2011 accounts can be shredded in 2018

Chimps Childminding
05-05-2012, 01:22 PM
yes Chrissie H is right!!! We have to keep child records,,medical forms, attendance registers etc for 21 years and 6 months :eek:

Smiley
05-05-2012, 03:16 PM
It is only the accident and medication records that are to be kept for 21 years
Accounts 6 years and I think everything else is 3 years, have you checked in welfare requirements?

rickysmiths
05-05-2012, 03:24 PM
That is true but the reason accident incident forma are kept for that long is in case a child wants once they reach 18 to make a claim against us in their own right.

For that reason I keep all their records, contracts, child info form, attendance record and a photo so such a claim ever be made I would know who the child was when they were with me etc.

sarah707
05-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Yes children have until they are 21 (and a bit) to make a claim against us.

We might need to prove when they were here (or not here), what the accident involved, how it was reported etc, what medication was given and why...

So it is essential that records are securely retained.

Hth :D

loocyloo
05-05-2012, 07:42 PM
i am going to keep everything forever!

i'll never remember when particular children are over 21! its all on boxes in the loft, labeled with years ( and more helpfully, where i was living at the time! as moved house 3 times whilst minding! )

lorettacritchet
06-05-2012, 07:31 AM
oh dear, lets hope i don't get in trouble then! Not there is anything to be in trouble for but omg i didn't know :(

Kiddleywinks
06-05-2012, 06:48 PM
For that reason I keep all their records, contracts, child info form, attendance record and a photo so such a claim ever be made I would know who the child was when they were with me etc.

That's a fab idea rickysmiths, my memory at putting a childs name to an adults face would be severely affected after a number of years of not seeing them growing up, hell I don't always recognise my own kids hahaha, although at the moment that's more through choice :laughing::laughing: