PDA

View Full Version : Courses

loopyloopy
04-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Hi all

I've just enrolled on a level 3 supporting teaching and learning in schools course and I will probably learn things that will help me whilst I am minding. I plan to give up minding next year so it's 12 months of info ect I can use daily here so could I claim a % of the cost? I'm guessing not but you never know :blush:

MrAnchovy
04-05-2012, 05:04 PM
HMRC's view of this is here (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/BIM42526.htm).

Unfortunately in this case I don't think claiming a percentage is possible - either the training is updating existing skills used in your business in which case it is all claimable, or it is acquiring new skills which are not used in your business.

Note that HMRC's internal manual says that this should not be interpreted 'narrowly' - it seems to me that if your business is childcare, then a course that updates your skills in a particular field of childcare should be 100% claimable. However if your accounts are inspected by HMRC it is their view that counts.

It's a small world
04-05-2012, 06:48 PM
What if you have to have the qualification and are not entitled to funding. Im not entitled to funding for level 2 or level 3 and may have to do one or both if the government require this qualification for me to carry on in this in this line of work . Does that mean I cannot claim even thought some cms are being given funding? Im discriminated against because I have a degree !!
Worth knowing if I can claim a bit towards my account :blush:

MrAnchovy
04-05-2012, 08:15 PM
If you are required to obtain/renew a qualification in order to stay in business (as opposed to start a new business) that is of course allowable.

It's a small world
04-05-2012, 08:45 PM
If you are required to obtain/renew a qualification in order to stay in business (as opposed to start a new business) that is of course allowable.

That's promising. Do I claim a percentage is there anyway I can view this? Thanks x

MrAnchovy
04-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Do I claim a percentage

Read what I said again :D

aly
04-05-2012, 09:12 PM
That's promising. Do I claim a percentage is there anyway I can view this? Thanks x
it would be 100%, but loopy is saying she is doign it to move away from childminding so not a requirement in this business so wouldnt be claimable.

MrAnchovy
04-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Hmmm, I wasn't very clear was I? I'll try again:

Claiming a percentage for training is not normally possible - either the training is updating existing skills used in your business in which case it is all claimable, or it is acquiring new skills which are not used in your business in which case none of it is.