PDA

View Full Version : LJ and Obs

JCrakers
03-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Right... :D

At the moment each child has a LJ. Inside are photos and work. Next to the photos are captions ie. a photo of a child painting using fruit I write 'here I am painting with fruit' (believe it or not:laughing:)
Then I use a sticker and write on CD,CLL etc.

Every month I sit and watch the child in different situtions (maybe roleplay,outdoor play etc) and write up an observation sheet which then goes into the back of the LJ. This is a picture and a sentance, links to the 6areas and has next steps.

Can I cut down on the paperwork by scrapping the seperate observation sheets and using the pictures in the LJ ie the fruit painting and going into more detail and doing next steps on that. iyswim
I feel like im repeating myself sometimes with the photos inside and the photos on a seperate observation sheet.:rolleyes:

Cammie Doodle
03-05-2012, 01:08 PM
We have just been discussing this so we are trying to cut back on all the repeating that we are doing, its seems so silly, surely if we are keeping track that all areas are being covered that should be ok :rolleyes:

miffy
03-05-2012, 02:20 PM
surely if we are keeping track that all areas are being covered that should be ok :rolleyes:

That's what I try and do - all my obs just follow on in date order (most are very short :laughing:), I don't do next steps for everything either.

Miffy xx

Kirsty90
03-05-2012, 02:26 PM
I had my inspection yesterday and I do what you do at the moment (photos with a caption and then a seperate obs sheet every now and then). She said I dont need to do this if I am finding it too much work and that the photo with the caption and a link to the EYFS and next steps every now and then was enough. She also said that transferring my next steps to a seperate sheet split in to the 6 learning areas was enough for my planning. She said the most important thing is finding what is manageable for you as at the end of the day the most important thing is being with the children not sat doing paperwork for hours on end.

Hope that helps

Kirsty xx

hullabaloo
03-05-2012, 03:13 PM
I write short obs on post it notes with the links to eyfs , they are put with relevent photo in childs LJ. The parents can then take them off when the child leaves. I'm all for keeping things simple and not duplicating things!!! Ofsted lady felt it was enough info etc. xx