PDA

View Full Version : Would you charge a retainer???

Macca3437
02-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Hi everyone,

I have had a enquiry from a parent who wants her child looked after, every other week.

Should I charge a retainer for the week the child doesn't attend? I am not sure if that's asking too much or not!

Just wanted to get an idea of what other people do.

Thanks

Mouse
02-05-2012, 12:39 PM
It really depends how desperate you are to fill the space, what parents are willing to pay & how many other childminders there are in your area who would only charge for the weeks used.

Personally I would say I charge a half fee retainer for the weeks not used. I'd be happy having a quieter week every other week and having only half fee!

But I know there are childminders here who would only charge for the time used, so parents might find that the better option. I wouldn't be willing to do it though, so would rather lose the work than only having money coming in every other week.

Tippy Toes
02-05-2012, 12:41 PM
If it was me I would have to charge full fee's for the week child would not be attending.

If I really needed the work then I might consider charging half fees for the week the child does not attend.

It really depends on whether you need the money?

xx

TinyTinker
02-05-2012, 01:27 PM
how old are the children = if they are in your precious EY spaces - you would have to make some money on the alternate weeks? and how many days a week do they want you?

Maybe discuss the matter with them and see how amenable they are to the idea

I currently have 2 mindees who do mon/tues one week then mon/tues/wed the next - so are only using the place every other week on a wednesday - I do not charge a retainer for this and am happy for the quieter week every fortnight:)

Macca3437
02-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the advice.

There is a lot of competition where I live, so I don't want to put her off, by charging too much and yes the money would be lovely, I can't lie.

Will have another think about it.

Thanks