PDA

View Full Version : DD didn't get in any nurseries for September - what are my next steps?

Maza
30-04-2012, 09:34 PM
We have been turned down from all the nurseries within walking distance of our home. Too many children live closer apparently. This doesn't bode well for trying to get into Reception the following year. I'm really cross as we pay our taxes etc etc. Does anybody know what my next steps are?
Thank you x

muffins
01-05-2012, 06:54 AM
Are the nurseries attached to schools then?

Not sure how it works in your area. I know in some areas they are all attached to schools and you get a place for the year before they start sch But in our area all are independant/private and you can send them when you like!

FussyElmo
01-05-2012, 07:09 AM
All the nurseries around me have strict admission entry. So depending where you are on the entry list determines whether or not you get a place. You could live next door and and not get a place. Were they faith schools you were trying and not a member of the faith so is that a reason. I know if you are no 5 or 6 or the waiting list it can be a worrying time.

I dont think paying your taxes has anything to do with the entry criteria :)

boxtree7
01-05-2012, 07:15 AM
You probably need to now the appeals procedures. Here a place in the nursery doesn't guarantee a place in reception. Good luck its very annoying. I'm moving to Ireland and won't be sending my son to school till he's 5 as the list is already full for when he turns 4. Its 1st come 1st served but you must live within the area.

teacake2
01-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Two of my mindees haven't got into the schools the parent's wanted, both have older siblings at the school but it hasn't helped them. They have been offered places 4 miles from where they live, absolute nightmare, both sets of parents are appealing but not sure whether they will get anywhere with it.
Teacake2

samb
01-05-2012, 10:38 AM
I think it will depend on what the criteria is for the nurseries, the age of your child etc. A lo I look after didn't get a place at 2 of the local pre schools when Mum wanted him to start (sept before he turned 3 - they take from 2). He was offered a place as soon as he turned 3 at the school nursery so she took that. Then a month later spaces came up at the pre school my son goes to but she had already taken the other nursery.

Will your child be starting school sept 2013? If so and you want your child to attend a nursery is it possible to drive to another nursery with spaces? Are spaces likely to appear during the term or do children literally go there for a year? Or is it attached to a school and does this mean your child will get a place at the school? The children at the school nursery here do not get preferntial places at the school just becuase they have been to the nursery - have you checked if yours does?