PDA

View Full Version : sickness advice please

sunview_cm
30-04-2012, 01:34 PM
I have just recieved a message from a mum saying her little girl(my mindee on a Tuesday) hasn't been well. She has ulcers in her throat and has been lathagic with a temp. Reckons she's better than she has been but still not herself today(her mum has her on a Monday). She say's she giving me the heads up and asking if I'm still ok to have her? Am I?
What would you all do? If she's really not well she should be at home and I can't really offer her one to one care she needs, as I have my own daughter and another mindee It's not really fair on them I don't think , but don't want to let them down!
If I tell I can't or don't think I should have her because of the above do I still charge her? My policy says I charge for their illnesses but if I the one saying I don't think you should bring her does that still apply?

Thanks for any advice. I need to get back to her asap!
Emma

Bridey
30-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Sounds like she could have tonsilitis which is rotten with flu-like symptoms. I would say no, she is ill and she needs to be home with mum. I would still charge my sick fee.

Chimps Childminding
30-04-2012, 02:05 PM
I have just had something similar!! Mindees mum called in to pick up booster seat on way to pick schoolies up (we have a rota) and I offered to have lo to make life easier. Its ok says mum he is asleep as he has been up in the night with the runs (his cousin was off last week with d&v) then obviously thought about it and asked "does that mean you can't have him tomorrow?" Course me being me said REALLY SORRY, but no!!! Still feel guilty!! But my contracts state that full pay for parent/child being off ill, so guilty as I feel right now, they will still be paying! :blush:

EmmaReed84
30-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Depending on what the child actually has I would possibly say yes to having the child providing they are well enough in themselves and do not need "special" care and the moment that child becomes even slightly not well the parent would need to collect!

sunview_cm
30-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Depending on what the child actually has I would possibly say yes to having the child providing they are well enough in themselves and do not need "special" care and the moment that child becomes even slightly not well the parent would need to collect!

She's said she's very lathargic and has had a soaring temp, so I think she will need "special" care. If I didn't have any other mindee's I would of had her and just had a quiet cuddly day on sofa but it's not fair on my mindee's, but I do feel horrible about it. I know what it's like having to work and having poorly babies, but I honestly think she is better off at home.

Thank you all for your advice! I waiting to hear back from her now!:(

Emma

Goatgirl
30-04-2012, 05:11 PM
She's said she's very lathargic and has had a soaring temp, so I think she will need "special" care. If I didn't have any other mindee's I would of had her and just had a quiet cuddly day on sofa but it's not fair on my mindee's, but I do feel horrible about it. I know what it's like having to work and having poorly babies, but I honestly think she is better off at home.

Thank you all for your advice! I waiting to hear back from her now!:(

Emma

I would say I can't have her as she's not able to join in with the usual activities of the day: you can't give her one to one care.

Try not to feel bad about it. If she came to you it would affect everyone, possibly she would infect everyone and you have a responsibility to all the families whose children you care for, as well as your own. Not to mention staying well yourself so that you can stay open and earn a living/ continue to provide care for families of well children :).

You're doing the right thing :thumbsup: