PDA

View Full Version : Your son has a cough, can you collect him?

EmmaReed84
30-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Cameron has had a little tickle which started yesterday. Not too bad, even this morning he seemed ok, no temp, not appearing ill, just a cough! The school has just called and said "Can you come and collect Cameron please as he has been coughing!" Not "Hello Mrs Reed, your son has been coughing a lot do you either want to collect him or come and give him some medicine" just "come and collect him"

Are they kidding? Sorry just do not need this right now! Get my frustration out here before I collect him, or the poor unsuspecting receptionist may get more than she bargined for... I know I am probably being way OTT!

singlewiththree
30-04-2012, 01:12 PM
I've just had to pick up my DD as she had a headache!

Mouse
30-04-2012, 01:13 PM
I think I'd phone back and ask if he has any other symptoms. If they say no, then ask why they are sending him home for a cough? Perhaps ask where it is in their policy, or which part of the HPA guidance they are referring to that says a child needs to be excluded for a cough.

If he is really unwell & they truely believe he would be better off at home rather than in school, then fine. But if they are sending him home simply because he has a cough I would query it.

Ripeberry
30-04-2012, 01:16 PM
They only do this as they know you are at home!:rolleyes: Can you imagine them calling back a parent who worked miles away...no I think not! :mad:

LOOPYLISA
30-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Crikey E's school you have to be at deaths door to come home :laughing:

The Juggler
30-04-2012, 01:21 PM
my son used to have massive coughing fits which would disrupt the whole class and would give him a headache. Not very clear explanation from them, I would ask how bad it was and if he needed to come home. if its constant though it will wear him out :(

Joda
30-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Blimey - if I sent children home for coughing I could have had a good few weeks off lol!

EmmaReed84
30-04-2012, 01:31 PM
I wished I had thought about some of the things you guys had said before regarding the HPA and on what grounds are they sending him home on.

I have him here now and yes he is coughing, but not what I call a bad cough, far from it! He has no temp and feels fine. He said he was coughing because he was in the play ground running!

I was about to call the doctor to get him an appointment for tonight, but what do I say... "Erm hi, I don't think there is anything "wrong" with him, but he was sent home can you look at him!" :angry:

Toothfairy
30-04-2012, 01:42 PM
It may be worth seeing the Doctor tonight anyway.
My DD always coughed when she got hot and excited or was running around. It turned out she had Asthma. The Asthma nurse said alot of children have coughing as their first signs of Asthma.

May not be anything but a tickle but worth checking out if he said he was coughing because he was running around the playground. :thumbsup:

singlewiththree
30-04-2012, 04:28 PM
My eldest DD is coughing like mad, turns out its hayfever, now on antihistamines and its stopped.

Turned out middle DD is off colour so they were right to send her home with a headache, had calpol, perked up but gone down again

EmmaReed84
30-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Well got appointment for 7.50am tomorrow and so far I can count on one hand how much he has coughed! AND he has been outside playing, running up and down with a push a long toy... still not coughing!